Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:36
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jul 17, 2010

I installed the latest version of wfclassic (7/10/2010) on a vista laptop and have problems getting the toolbar in word 2007 to display. I am talking about the toolbar in the ribbon which shows fine on my earlier desktop version.

Installation:
I used the 'automatic' install by downloading wfc, unzip, then opening word and navigating to the wordfast.dot file. I have to enter ctlr+alt+W in order to get the installation started, as per instructions on the file that opens initiall
... See more
I installed the latest version of wfclassic (7/10/2010) on a vista laptop and have problems getting the toolbar in word 2007 to display. I am talking about the toolbar in the ribbon which shows fine on my earlier desktop version.

Installation:
I used the 'automatic' install by downloading wfc, unzip, then opening word and navigating to the wordfast.dot file. I have to enter ctlr+alt+W in order to get the installation started, as per instructions on the file that opens initially.

Result:
Once done, I get a message that wf is installed successfully. I see three items that indicate wf is there:

1) to the left (in the add-ins ribbon) a square with a drop-down menu for wf. Works fine (but I usually don't use this).

2) immediately to the right a second square - with the blue/green f logo in it. This is what I always use, and on my desktop it starts up wf when clicked, expands the icons horizontally to the right, and they all stay there throughout the translation. This is the toolbar that I am looking for and use all the time...

On the laptop, however, this button disappears when I click it. It's gone, and it won't come back unless I remove wordfast.dot from the roaming/word/startup location and reinstall it. But reinstalling doesn't help, because the same thing repeats. I tried it 3 times (as in the fairy tales...)

3) There is another somewhat flunky 'toolbar' floating somewhere to the right, a white square with a red 'f' in it (design-wise out of tune with the blue/green, it reminds me of the red cross symbol). I can click it, and it expands as a strip to the left, also with the wf menu on it, but the display is faint and flickers a bit (javascript, or so??). I can't really see it, and it's useless.

So, ironically, there are 3 functionally equivalent toolbars, of which the one I really like disappears when I touch it (another fairy tale element...)

I have read a couple of posts, for example one that mentions a similar issue, but it applies to Linux.
http://www.translatewrite.com/index.php?s=foss&p=wflinux

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to solve this, or know what might be wrong?

I guess the new toolbars are an alternative for people who want to minimize the ribbon, but I don't think they are successful designs. I need one that's always expanded (not a dropdown), and I need to be able to see it...

Thanks for any help or insight!

Lianne
Collapse

Sylvie Eschkotte (X)
Sylvie Eschkotte (X)
Germany
Local time: 03:36
German to French
7/15/2010 Jul 17, 2010

Lianne Van De Ven wrote:

I installed the latest version of wfclassic (7/10/2010) on a vista laptop

Try with lastest Version (7/15/ 2010)

Lianne van de Ven
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
this is the last afaik Jul 17, 2010

I just downloaded my version as the last version.

Mary Moritz
Mary Moritz  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:36
Member (2007)
French to English
This is exactly what is happening to me! Oct 11, 2010

Just wondering if you found a solution for this, Lianne. I'm having exactly the same problem with the latest version (updated a few days ago). I get the drop down menu but the tool bar disappears or never appears!
Anything will help!
Mary

Lianne van de Ven
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no solution Oct 11, 2010

I accepted the 'flunky' toolbar and I actually discovered some advantages to it, but at this moment I forgot what they were, because this was on a borrowed laptop. I just installed it on my own new laptop, but have not used it yet.

Sabine Braun
Sabine Braun  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:36
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
This may help Oct 26, 2010

I had a problem with a disappearing toolbar and this link actually solved it (although I don't know if we are talking about the same problem here).

http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=knowledge&Task=view&questId=145&catId=32

HTH
Sabine

Lianne van de Ven
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
this helps! Oct 26, 2010

Sabine Braun wrote:

I had a problem with a disappearing toolbar and this link actually solved it (although I don't know if we are talking about the same problem here).

http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=knowledge&Task=view&questId=145&catId=32

HTH
Sabine

Thank you so much for posting this link, Sabine. Between my last post Oct 11 and a couple of days later I did a translation on my new laptop and ran into the same problem. I had to keep expanding the toolbar. Upon your post I checked my settings right away and this must be the problem. Do wordfast updates come with release notes? I see that this issue actually ranks top on google for disappearing toolbar in wordfast. I usually try to solve problems by googling rather than posting on a forum but this looks like a recent update (9/5/2010). Thanks again.

Have a great day!
Lianne

[Edited at 2010-10-26 14:45 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

wordfast toolbar in 5.90z classic disappears

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »