Thread poster: David Alexandre (X)
David Alexandre (X)
David Alexandre (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:47
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 11, 2006

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can provide some insight on this subject, I used SDLX 2006 (the version that now comes with the new TRADOS/SDLX package) and TagEditor (from Trados 6.5) to respectively export the ITD files to TTX and then to translate them.

But when trying to reverse the procedure (and Harvesting the TTX memory in order to translate the original ITD files I get a painting problem in SDLX).

The codes that show in TagEditor original segments are id
... See more
Hello,

I'm hoping someone can provide some insight on this subject, I used SDLX 2006 (the version that now comes with the new TRADOS/SDLX package) and TagEditor (from Trados 6.5) to respectively export the ITD files to TTX and then to translate them.

But when trying to reverse the procedure (and Harvesting the TTX memory in order to translate the original ITD files I get a painting problem in SDLX).

The codes that show in TagEditor original segments are identical to those in the translated segments. So I'm not sure why the SDLX harvesting does not recognize most files with painting and inserts the codes without the painting. Such as for example:

Clique no separador Ecrãs.

Instead of the normal segment:

Clique no separador Ecrãs. (where the painting would be in "Ecrãs").

It could be some small thing that I missed but, I could not find what, so perhaps someone can help me with this problem.

Thank you.

David

It would seem that the codes dissapeared in the first example:

Clique no separador < FONT CHANGE : Tag = " bold " FntIdx = " 1 " > Ecrãs < / FONT CHANGE : >.

Let's see if this makes it appear

[Edited at 2006-05-11 16:30]

[Edited at 2006-05-11 16:38]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:47
English to French
+ ...
You're in trouble! May 11, 2006

The same thing has happened to me before and also to other colleagues. Sadly, it seems that in the process of converting, format painting gets lost (it seems that Trados does not recognize painting, even though it also uses tags, which are the equivalent of painting).

The only workaround any of us ever found to this is manually format painting. It takes almost as long as translating...

However, if you have the full version of SDLX, I recommend you don't use Trados on SD
... See more
The same thing has happened to me before and also to other colleagues. Sadly, it seems that in the process of converting, format painting gets lost (it seems that Trados does not recognize painting, even though it also uses tags, which are the equivalent of painting).

The only workaround any of us ever found to this is manually format painting. It takes almost as long as translating...

However, if you have the full version of SDLX, I recommend you don't use Trados on SDLX jobs. Loss of information when converting is inevitable. I know, many of us prefer Trados, but when the file is required in SDLX, it's much safer to just use SDLX and not convert anything.

If you only have SDLX Lite, forget about it. Contrarily to what most say and what SDL seems to say on their website, it does NOT contain all the necessary functions to translate files in them. The person who sends you the job would need to create THEIR .itd file with SDLX Professional (you CAN'T do this with SDLX Standard) so that you can fully edit .itd files with the Lite version. Most people, however, only have the Standard version. So, even if you can open and edit .itd files created with Standard, there's not much else you can do with it (for example, you can't create a memory, which is a HUGE disadvantage).

I hope this helps you to understand the problem and that you will find a way to get your project to work out.

All the best!

[Edited at 2006-05-11 21:35]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with Harvesting/Painting in SDLX/Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »