HenrietteT
United States
Local time: 05:24
Member (2021)
English to Danish
+ ...
Oct 24, 2021

Hi all!

So I am still very new, but was offered to proofread a large batch (almost 28.000 words) for a large corporation. It is not a text written with full sentences, but rather one word or a few words per line. I will have about 53 hours to complete this task. I have told the client I am available, but recommended they find someone else as I do not have experience in this specific field that is on the technical side. However, in case they do not find another person, what should I
... See more
Hi all!

So I am still very new, but was offered to proofread a large batch (almost 28.000 words) for a large corporation. It is not a text written with full sentences, but rather one word or a few words per line. I will have about 53 hours to complete this task. I have told the client I am available, but recommended they find someone else as I do not have experience in this specific field that is on the technical side. However, in case they do not find another person, what should I charge in this situation?
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
5 cents a word? 6 for rush maybe? Oct 24, 2021

Do they or you have a CAT tool to run it through?

I once "translated" 135k words in about 8 hours because the thing was 20x reps for everything. That's often how it works with large "batch" orders.

Well, actually, it would have only taken about 4 hours... but I went super slow and thorough because it was a very healthy sum even with low rates and rep discounts.

Can you look at file names before accepting? Is it a batch of similarly named files that suggest
... See more
Do they or you have a CAT tool to run it through?

I once "translated" 135k words in about 8 hours because the thing was 20x reps for everything. That's often how it works with large "batch" orders.

Well, actually, it would have only taken about 4 hours... but I went super slow and thorough because it was a very healthy sum even with low rates and rep discounts.

Can you look at file names before accepting? Is it a batch of similarly named files that suggest repetitions?

[Edited at 2021-10-25 00:40 GMT]
Collapse

Suzanne Reynolds
Suzanne Reynolds  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:24
Chinese to English
I was recently offered €3 per source word for proofreading and I find this a reasonable rate. Oct 25, 2021

Even if you are unfamiliar with the domain, you have been given plenty hours to complete it, using a dictionary where possible. 28k words isn't all that much in proofreading. I would take it if I were you. Proofreading is a great way to improve your own translation skills, especially if you are new to the profession.
HenrietteT wrote:

Hi all!

So I am still very new, but was offered to proofread a large batch (almost 28.000 words) for a large corporation. It is not a text written with full sentences, but rather one word or a few words per line. I will have about 53 hours to complete this task. I have told the client I am available, but recommended they find someone else as I do not have experience in this specific field that is on the technical side. However, in case they do not find another person, what should I charge in this situation?

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
She's in a Scandinavian language pair Oct 25, 2021

They pretty much charge double. Probably mostly because of the extreme tax rates in their countries, but it still works to the benefit of translators who live elsewhere too.

[Edited at 2021-10-25 05:31 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:24
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Test yourself Oct 25, 2021

HenrietteT wrote:
I was offered to proofread a large batch (almost 28.000 words) for a large corporation. It is not a text written with full sentences, but rather one word or a few words per line. ... What should I charge in this situation?

Set a stopwatch for 10 minutes and see how many segments you can complete in ten minutes. Then wait 30 minutes and do it again. This will give you an idea how long it's going to take. It takes a lot longer to translate or review very short segments than longer ones. And you'll have almost no context for most translations, so doing the proofreading is going to be a long guessing game.

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:24
English to German
Don't take work you're not confident you can do well Oct 25, 2021

... if you want to build up a reputable business and are not hanging by a thread, needing to support yourself with any job that comes your way.

If you decide to submit a quote, make sure you are upfront about what you can and cannot provide (e.g. linguistic review - yes, technical review - no). This also builds up confidence for future jobs the client may have for you and which might be a better fit for you given that they now know about your strengths and fields of expertise.
... See more
... if you want to build up a reputable business and are not hanging by a thread, needing to support yourself with any job that comes your way.

If you decide to submit a quote, make sure you are upfront about what you can and cannot provide (e.g. linguistic review - yes, technical review - no). This also builds up confidence for future jobs the client may have for you and which might be a better fit for you given that they now know about your strengths and fields of expertise.

Try to enlist help from the client in advance to assist you with any comprehension problems you may have. They are in the best position to understand what they need to have translated.

Clarify in advance what exactly the scope of your assignment should be (very important for proofreading/review/editing, where definitions vary widely).

It's difficult to get pricing advice on a forum, particularly in a case where your skills are not a good fit for the job, but as a general rule, you need to establish a target hourly rate and either charge that directly (good practice for proofreading) or try to translate it into a word rate (fraught with risks but more palatable to some clients).
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
British Diana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading price proposal

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »