Thread poster: espoir03
espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Dec 3, 2019

Hello,

A number of my clients assign projects in XTM (I use their license, and I do not have my own).
I prefer to work offline using CAT tool.

For memoQ, if vendor just download as .xlf, TM which are shown below each segment in XTM are shown in "Comment" in memoQ and no need to download TM as .tmx (in fact, there is nothing in .tmx).

However, for Trados, if the vendor download .xlf file, where in Trados the TM will be shown? Is using Trados + XTM not
... See more
Hello,

A number of my clients assign projects in XTM (I use their license, and I do not have my own).
I prefer to work offline using CAT tool.

For memoQ, if vendor just download as .xlf, TM which are shown below each segment in XTM are shown in "Comment" in memoQ and no need to download TM as .tmx (in fact, there is nothing in .tmx).

However, for Trados, if the vendor download .xlf file, where in Trados the TM will be shown? Is using Trados + XTM not convenient so much compared to using memoQ + XTM?

I use memoQ only so I do not know how it looks in Trados but one of my colleagues who is Trados user is eager to know, so I decided to ask here.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Akiko
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:51
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Akiko Dec 3, 2019

Akiko Detke wrote:
However, for Trados, if the vendor download .xlf file, where in Trados the TM will be shown?

I also use the XLIFF files from XTM, and I have Trados, but I don't know the answer to your question. I asked about it, here:
https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/339137-where_how_does_trados_2019_show_alt_trans_from_xliff_files.html

I personally use OmegaT (with the Okapi filter plugin) to process the XTM XLIFF files, and I can confirm that OmegaT shows the alt-trans translations among the other fuzzy matches. OmegaT automatically extracts all the alt-trans translations to a separate TM, with the user ID "FromAlternate!", so if it does turn out that Trados doesn't show these matches, you could open the XLIFF file in a temporary OmegaT project, grab the autogenerated "alt" TMX from it, and import it into a Trados TM. I do use OmegaT but I can't *recommend* it because I don't use it in the usual way.

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Dec 3, 2019

Samuel,

I do remember you when I posted question about XTM I or M segments can't be edited in memoQ!
Thanks so much for helping me again. I shall let my colleague know about OmegaT option but also follow the thread you kindly posted on Trados forum.
I can honestly say memoQ is better than Trados because many of my clients assign me projects in XTM.

Akiko

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Working offline - memoQ vs Trados?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »