Getting started in Wordfast - can anyone explain in baby-simple language?
Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 28, 2003

Well, I done it at last, got started with WordFast. Started a year ago but gave up rapid, this time I want to try and see it through!

I opened my text, followed WF instructions - without really knowing what I was doing - about creating a memory, but now I have a draft text, with Spanish and English all thrown in together, can\'t seem to clean it up...what\'s more, don\'t know how to go back and revise it...

I studied a bit of Trados and I seem to remeber
... See more
Well, I done it at last, got started with WordFast. Started a year ago but gave up rapid, this time I want to try and see it through!

I opened my text, followed WF instructions - without really knowing what I was doing - about creating a memory, but now I have a draft text, with Spanish and English all thrown in together, can\'t seem to clean it up...what\'s more, don\'t know how to go back and revise it...

I studied a bit of Trados and I seem to remeber that one had to go about setting up teh job differently from the way i did it, which was: I opened the text in Word.

Is there any way I can just abandon, recover my draft and do it manually?

I should have chosen a smaller job to get practise in....I think I have just wasted my time.

Can anybody help me resolve this, in as baby-simple language as possible?
Collapse

David Sirett
David Sirett
French to English
+ ...
Try this Feb 28, 2003

Quote:

I presume your \"draft text, with Spanish and English all thrown in together\" is the segmented text, and that you\'ve com... See more
Quote:

I presume your \"draft text, with Spanish and English all thrown in together\" is the segmented text, and that you\'ve completed the translation and saved this draft.

To revise it, you just go back to the beginning of this file and use WordFast on it again, checking your translations. Note that you don\'t have to start at the beginning - if you just want to revise a particular paragraph, position the cursor in the first phrase/segment and click on the Wordfast \"down arrow\" icon to start checking.

When you\'ve completed your revision, the next step is clean-up (unless your customer wants you to deliver the segmented file, which they may prefer if they use Trados/Déjà Vu/Wordfast). Click on the Wordfast \"f\" symbol icon. Click on the Tools tab. Make sure the name of the file you\'re working on is highlighted and checked. Click on Tools (the second, lower Tools tab). Click on Clean-up. Your computer will process away for a while, and eventually come up with the (monolingual) translated document, which you can rename and save.

Hope that works for you.

Regards

David ▲ Collapse

ncfialho (X)
ncfialho (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:38
German to Portuguese
+ ...
introduction wordfast Feb 28, 2003

Hi

I don´t know the page, but it seems to explain the first steps with pictures...

good luck

http://wizardtrans.free.fr/Wordfast-intro.htm

Natália

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Tools-options-view in MS Word Feb 28, 2003

Wordfast can change the settings in Word, and you should have a look at the settings under \"view\". For instance you can toggle between hidden text using ctrl and comma. This wil help when you revise a segmented text. When you find something you would like to change, toggle back to segmented view and edit directly. When you are finished, use the clean up function and choose \"Yes\" when asked if you want to update TM.

If you are working with automatic TOC, remember to unche
... See more
Wordfast can change the settings in Word, and you should have a look at the settings under \"view\". For instance you can toggle between hidden text using ctrl and comma. This wil help when you revise a segmented text. When you find something you would like to change, toggle back to segmented view and edit directly. When you are finished, use the clean up function and choose \"Yes\" when asked if you want to update TM.

If you are working with automatic TOC, remember to uncheck the view \"field code\" box in word.

If you cannot remove segment, use ctrl+alt and F12 to unprotect text before deleting.

I hope this may help.
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still not working Feb 28, 2003

\"When you\'ve completed your revision, the next step is clean-up (unless your customer wants you to deliver the segmented file, which they may prefer if they use Trados/Déjà Vu/Wordfast). Click on the Wordfast \"f\" symbol icon. Click on the Tools tab. Make sure the name of the file you\'re working on is highlighted and checked. Click on Tools (the second, lower Tools tab). Click on Clean-up. Your computer will process away for a while, and eventually come up with the (monolingual) translated... See more
\"When you\'ve completed your revision, the next step is clean-up (unless your customer wants you to deliver the segmented file, which they may prefer if they use Trados/Déjà Vu/Wordfast). Click on the Wordfast \"f\" symbol icon. Click on the Tools tab. Make sure the name of the file you\'re working on is highlighted and checked. Click on Tools (the second, lower Tools tab). Click on Clean-up. Your computer will process away for a while, and eventually come up with the (monolingual) translated document, which you can rename and save.\" David

Thanks for your simple explanation, David (ta also to others). But still no go.

When I click on the Wf symbol I just get a message about ending the \"current session to setup Wordfast\". When I click on QuickClean, nothing happens.

I think I\'ll just abandon again, I just don\'t have the time to figure this out!

All I want is my text back, with as much work saved as possible!

Collapse

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Alt+End Mar 1, 2003

End the current translation session => press alt + end.

Just read the WF manual when you want to try it!

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
End session Mar 1, 2003

Before you can clean up, end your session. You have an open window with source and target. All you have to do is to use alt+end. You can also use alt+delete.

After that you choose clean up in the wordfast meny.

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Mar 1, 2003

The problem was that I had not ENDED the translation, hence could not clean up.

Thanks to everybody!

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:38
English to French
knowledge Mar 1, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-28 19:19, Ailish Maher wrote:

I opened my text, followed WF instructions - without really knowing what I was doing - about creating a memory, but now I have a draft text, with Spanish and English all thrown in together, can\'t seem to clean it up...what\'s more,... See more
Quote:

On 2003-02-28 19:19, Ailish Maher wrote:

I studied a bit of Trados and I seem to remeber that one had to go about setting up teh job differently from the way i did it, which was: I opened the text in Word.

Is there any way I can just abandon, recover my draft and do it manually?

I should have chosen a smaller job to get practise in....I think I have just wasted my time.

Can anybody help me resolve this, in as baby-simple language as possible?

Difficult to guide you if you don\'t know the basics, but here are some concepts that may ring a bell. You should nevertheless try to learen the basics for next time.

So far I understand, you finished to translate the document. When you finished the last segment, the session closed (no color box no more, right?)

If you want to review your document, you have to put the cursor at the begining of your document, an open a new session (by pressing alt+down). Your first segment will open with your translation.

Correct what you want and go to the next segment with Alt+Down, just like if you were translating the doc for the first time.

When you are satisfied with your translation, end session with Alt+End (if you review \'til the end, the session will end on it\'s own.)

Follow the clean up procedure as somebody else explained.

If that fails, you can clean up the text with a find and replace. Simply search for \"*\" (more/enable wildcards) with a hidden attribute (more/format/font, an option case called \"hidden\", click OK) and leave the \"replace\" field blank.

Click replace all. As all the source segments are in hidden text, they will be replaced by nothing, thus leaving your translation. I suggest you save your document under an other name before you do that.

I actually wrote a beginner\'s manual for wordfast, which you can find at www.wizardtranslations.com and by going to the wordfast pages. You may want to check it out and let me know if there are stuff you can\'t get working, so that I can improve the tutorial.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting started in Wordfast - can anyone explain in baby-simple language?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »