Thread poster: XtS
XtS
XtS
Germany
Local time: 14:32
English to German
+ ...
Nov 6, 2019

I installed WF5 Pro on my current machine (starting with a clean Windows Installation) and it freezes, after not using it for a few minutes.

The highlighting still works (e. g. when selecting a project or options button), but nothing happens. The only option then is to start Task Manager and end the process "OpenJDK Platform binary".

It freezes / stops to work in every stage of the program (editor, TM view, ...) . Even just starting it and then leaving it alone / idle f
... See more
I installed WF5 Pro on my current machine (starting with a clean Windows Installation) and it freezes, after not using it for a few minutes.

The highlighting still works (e. g. when selecting a project or options button), but nothing happens. The only option then is to start Task Manager and end the process "OpenJDK Platform binary".

It freezes / stops to work in every stage of the program (editor, TM view, ...) . Even just starting it and then leaving it alone / idle for a few minutes causes the program to not respond anymore (as described above).

After ending the process in Task Manager, I get the following error:

"Java was started but returned exit code=1
C:\Program FilesXWordfast ProWjre\bin\javaw.exe
-Xmslg
-Djava.net.preferlPv4Stack=true
-Dosgi. configuration. [email protected]/.gs4tr.editor/5.11.1_x64 -Dosgi.nl=en
-jar C:\Program FilesXWordfast
ProXpluginsXorg. eclipse. equinox.launcher_1.5.2OO.V2O180922-1751 .jar -os Win32
-ws Win32
-arch x86_64
-showsplash wf.bmp
-launcher C:\Program Files\Wordfast ProXWordfast Pro.exe
-name Wordfast Pro
-launcher.library C:\Program FilesXWordfast
ProXpluginsXorg.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86 64 1.1,900.v 20180922-1751\edipse_1801 .dll
-startup C:\Program FilesXWordfast
ProXpluginsXorg. eclipse. equinox.launcher_1.5.2OO.V2O180922-1751 .jar -launcher.overrideVmargs
-exitdata 31d4_130
-vm C:\Program FilesXWordfast ProWjre\bin\javaw.exe
-vmargs
-Xmslg
-Djava.net.preferlPv4Stack=true
[email protected]/.gs4tr.editor/5.11.1_x64 -Dosgi.nl=en
-jar C:\Program FilesXWordfast
ProXpluginsXorg. eclipse. equinox.launcher_1.5.2OO.V2O180922-1751 .jar"

System:
Windows 10 Pro (64 Bit)
Wordfast 5.11.1

Any idea on how I could fix this? My guess it, that it might be the Java runtime stopping service. Can I configure another runtime for WF to use instead of the one provided with the installation?

Any ideas are welcome here. I've already tried changing the compatibility options in Windows 10, but to no avail.

Thanks!

[Edited at 2019-11-06 11:13 GMT]
Collapse

Benedita Nhambiu

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 07:32
Network Firewall may cause the freezing Nov 6, 2019

When you go out of WF and come back to use and find it freezing or slow it could be related to Network, Firewall or Router closing idle ports. Please check your firewall settings or network Service provider or router to not close idle ports. That should relieve the problem with slowness when switching apps.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,
John

XtS
XtS
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Network Firewall not the cause Nov 8, 2019

Hi John,
first of all, thank you for your reply.

I tried disabling the Windows Defender Firewall in Windows 10, but this didn't change anything.
I don't think it is related to the router closing idle ports, since I have another machine connected to it, where it works fine.

Since I don't have any other security products installed at the moment, those can't be the cause either.

Here is another, more detailed summary of the error:

Afte
... See more
Hi John,
first of all, thank you for your reply.

I tried disabling the Windows Defender Firewall in Windows 10, but this didn't change anything.
I don't think it is related to the router closing idle ports, since I have another machine connected to it, where it works fine.

Since I don't have any other security products installed at the moment, those can't be the cause either.

Here is another, more detailed summary of the error:

After idling a few minutes, WF5 "freezes" and is not usable anymore.
However, I can still switch though the top menu buttons (File, Edit, Formatting, Translation, Terminology, Review) and the according functions show up (although sometimes without an icon).
Selecting any of these doesn't do a thing.
Selecting one of the icons from the left panel, they stay highlighted, but nothing happens.
I can also still scroll through the translation interface, but I cannot select anything.
Switching through the categories below (TM Lookup, Notes, Segment History, Metadata, Transcheck) works fine, but clicking anything inside these doesn't do anything.

So the only option is killing the "OpenJDK Platform Binary" process and starting WF again.

Any ideas? Shouldn't be RAM-related, since I don't have any other problems with other applications.

Any input is welcome!
Collapse

John Daniel
John Daniel
Remote TM connection Nov 8, 2019

Do you work with remote WFServer and TMServer connections?
What's your system specification including processor name and number?

[Edited at 2019-11-08 21:43 GMT]

XtS
XtS
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
remote TM connection Nov 9, 2019

Hi John,
yes I do work with remote TMs. This was my first thought as well, since on another system I get a freezing issue due to the remote TM, but after some seconds/minutes, usually everything works fine again (I don't have to kill the process like I do now).

My system is
AMD Ryzen 7 1700x
Geforce GTX 1070
16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64

I don't think that the remote TM is the cause, though, because the freezing also happens without opening a
... See more
Hi John,
yes I do work with remote TMs. This was my first thought as well, since on another system I get a freezing issue due to the remote TM, but after some seconds/minutes, usually everything works fine again (I don't have to kill the process like I do now).

My system is
AMD Ryzen 7 1700x
Geforce GTX 1070
16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64

I don't think that the remote TM is the cause, though, because the freezing also happens without opening a project and just leaving WF in project overweview view.
Collapse

kuba1410

kuba1410
kuba1410
Experiencing same issue Nov 15, 2019

Hi,

just came here to say that I am experiencing the exact same issue. I've contacted Wordfast support about it. I will post here when/if I get a response from them.

XtS

XtS
XtS
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
support contacted Nov 15, 2019

Hi kuba1410,
I contacted the support as well. Let's hope they come up with something.

What are your system specs?

kuba1410
kuba1410
My specs Nov 15, 2019

Good, two support tickets are better than one.

How long have you been waiting for a reply? I only contacted them yesterday.

My specs are:

Ryzen 3700x
32 GB Ram
Vega 64 GPU
and Windows 10 x64

We both seem to have an AMD CPU, but I find it hard to believe that a CPU could be causing this.

XtS
XtS
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
support Nov 16, 2019

They got back to me in less than 24 hours, if I recall correctly.

I answered their questions (they were also asking for usage of remote TMs and glossaries) and send them a log (via an online form) but haven't heard back from them since.

It would indeed be strange if Ryzen processor was the cause, especially since yours is two generations younger than mine...

John Daniel
John Daniel
Email again Nov 18, 2019

XtS wrote:

They got back to me in less than 24 hours, if I recall correctly.

I answered their questions (they were also asking for usage of remote TMs and glossaries) and send them a log (via an online form) but haven't heard back from them since.

It would indeed be strange if Ryzen processor was the cause, especially since yours is two generations younger than mine...

Can you send followup email again, sorry I'm not seeing your names and the tickets I have.

Your processor and system looks good in terms of recommended spec.

Thank you,
John

XtS
XtS
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
email Nov 18, 2019

Hi John,
After contacting support, they answered via email, but I had to answer via the online form.
My ticket number is: #4371737 (I was writing with David from Wordfast support team).

Hope that helps.

XtS
XtS
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New version 5.12.0 didn't fix the problem; DeepL error Nov 19, 2019

I just wanted to say, that the new version (5.12.0) I installed today unfortunately doesn't fix the discussed problem.

However, I now a get an error from DeepL integration ("Machine Translation connection failed"). Please fix this!

John Daniel
John Daniel
DeepL API Key Nov 19, 2019

XtS wrote:

I just wanted to say, that the new version (5.12.0) I installed today unfortunately doesn't fix the discussed problem.

However, I now a get an error from DeepL integration ("Machine Translation connection failed"). Please fix this!

Please check you DeepL API key with DeepL.

XtS
XtS
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
correct DeepL API key Nov 20, 2019

Hi John,
the key I use is correct. I'm also using it in another CAT tool without problems.

Before the update it worked correctly, so my guess is, that the latest WF update caused the problem.

Same issue here Nov 24, 2019

Hello,

I just wanted to say that I am experiencing the exact same issue. It gets worse when I use remote TMs.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast 5 Pro freezing / hanging / crashing often when left idle

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »