Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:05
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sep 9, 2019

Hello

I see it's possible to edit the source text of the TXLF file in WFP5. What would be possible reasons for doing this? I'm thinking this could be useful to adding dummy characters to the source text, to prevent them from being 100% matches in future jobs, in cases of missegmentation, for example. Will it affect WFP5's ability to generate the target file if I edit the source segments but don't also update the original source files with those same updates?

Thanks... See more
Hello

I see it's possible to edit the source text of the TXLF file in WFP5. What would be possible reasons for doing this? I'm thinking this could be useful to adding dummy characters to the source text, to prevent them from being 100% matches in future jobs, in cases of missegmentation, for example. Will it affect WFP5's ability to generate the target file if I edit the source segments but don't also update the original source files with those same updates?

Thanks
Samuel

==
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:05
English to French
+ ...
to improve the TM Sep 9, 2019

I occasionally edit typos in a source segment so that future searches (concordance, in particular) do not fall short.

Wolfgang Schoene

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:05
French to English
+ ...
Correcting ST typos Sep 9, 2019

I sometimes correct ST typos to make the TM more useful.

[Edited at 2019-09-09 17:15 GMT]

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:05
English to French
+ ...
Different factors Sep 9, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

What would be possible reasons for doing this?

==

Beside typos, you may encounter other situations, by experience, I can think of two:
_Badly laid out source text: You may find situations where the source document is full of returns and other issues that will affect your segmentation. Editing source can help having segments resemble something that make sense, especially if you want to keep your TM in good shape.
_Transcriptions: When translating text that has been transcribed, both machine and humans make mistakes that you need to edit in the source (if you have access to original audio track).
_And I'm sure there's more.

My bests

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why update the source text in WFP5?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »