Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Am I the only one who is unimpressed by Wordfast Pro 5.10.0?
Thread poster: Comunican
Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 30, 2019

Am I the only one who is unimpressed with Wordfast Pro version 5.10.0?

They seem to have made virtually no improvements to everyday functionality, user interface or usability, which formed the majority of my feedback comments over the past 6 months (and which I'd have thought would have been relatively easy to implement).

So it's disappointing to wait all these months only to get a new release that has focused on making functional changes in rather esoteric areas that I
... See more
Am I the only one who is unimpressed with Wordfast Pro version 5.10.0?

They seem to have made virtually no improvements to everyday functionality, user interface or usability, which formed the majority of my feedback comments over the past 6 months (and which I'd have thought would have been relatively easy to implement).

So it's disappointing to wait all these months only to get a new release that has focused on making functional changes in rather esoteric areas that I never use.

Disappointingly, I also find it much slower to upload files and much slower when moving from one segment to the next.

Sorry Wordfast team but this release gets a thumbs-down from me.

What do others think?
Collapse

Galal Abdul Karim
Emmanuel Díaz

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:35
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Comunican Aug 30, 2019

Comunican wrote:

Such as?

So it's disappointing to wait all these months only to get a new release that has focused on making functional changes in rather esoteric areas that I never use.

Some people do use those features. For example, I consider making TransCheck available in Quick Tools to be a big improvement -- but perhaps you never use TransCheck or you only ever use TransCheck during the translation phase?

Disappointingly, I also find it much slower to upload files and much slower when moving from one segment to the next.

I disagree. It's still just as slow as it has always been... dead slow.

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Murray Aug 30, 2019

Hi Samuel

I gave many feedback comments to Wordfast about usability issues, but can't remember them all now. They included asking to:
- change the position and layout of the different windows
- see a preview document in a decent size font
- have the source and target segments on top of each other (as in WFC) in a visually/usable pleasing way
- simplify the complex array of colour codes for TM matches
- improve the Find/Replace function

And
... See more
Hi Samuel

I gave many feedback comments to Wordfast about usability issues, but can't remember them all now. They included asking to:
- change the position and layout of the different windows
- see a preview document in a decent size font
- have the source and target segments on top of each other (as in WFC) in a visually/usable pleasing way
- simplify the complex array of colour codes for TM matches
- improve the Find/Replace function

And quite a few more that I can no longer remember.

I've learned to work my way around them, but they are unnecessarily clunky and I think they could have changed them quite easily in this 5.10 release.

I don't even know what TransCheck is? Should I be using it???

On my computer, the whole system is noticeably slower than it used to be.

Actually, I might just as well roll-back to the previous version as 5.10 offers me nothing worth having (unless, maybe, you have some suggestions on this - I know you are quite an advanced user!).

Cheers.
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Same issues remain Aug 30, 2019

Comunican wrote:

I don't even know what TransCheck is? Should I be using it???

You’re kidding right?

TransCheck is a mandatory step after completing the translation and proof. It finds inconsistencies and errors that even the best proof readers miss.

I’m quite unimpressed with this update. Many of the issues I’ve flagged with Thai language, in particular, have been overlooked. e.g. source terminology highlighting not highlighting the correct words (no spaces between words in Thai). There is also a bug which has meant I’ve had to create a new glossary, because terminology wasn’t showing up and I couldn’t add the terms either (which I knew should be in the glossary) but they’d show up in TransCheck.

Regarding slowness, yes, something is up with the TMs. I tried a third party app TMXeditor to delete duplicates, which worked wonders, but TM entries that should’ve been there, weren’t! So I ended up reverting to the previous TMs on read-only and am writing to a new TM. I raised the issue with TMXeditor support and they couldn’t confirm why this happened, as the duplicate remover should leave one copy of the TM entry and remove only duplicates. Still, we know what should be in our TMs and segments were missing!

I had requested better in-built TM management for Wordfast.

Paula Dlp
Paula Dlp
Australia
Local time: 06:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Version 5.10 crashing after restarting the system Sep 5, 2019

Hi everyone,
I'm jumping ship and joining the conversation.
There are a few things I like from this update, such as the Transcheck in QuickTools and the ability to split/merge files. The whole team finds this one very useful.
On the other hand, I'm not able to open WF after restarting my computer (and this happens to many people in the team as well). Has anyone experienced this and has any tips? I find myself having to download and reinstall WF in order to be able to start w
... See more
Hi everyone,
There are a few things I like from this update, such as the Transcheck in QuickTools and the ability to split/merge files. The whole team finds this one very useful.
On the other hand, I'm not able to open WF after restarting my computer (and this happens to many people in the team as well). Has anyone experienced this and has any tips? I find myself having to download and reinstall WF in order to be able to start working again. Luckily, everything is there, but still, it's a pain...
I would appreciate any help.
Cheers,
Paula
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
Mac beta fixes crashing issues (5.11) This build fixes two Mac crashing issues: - Crash on app laun Sep 7, 2019

Paula Dlp wrote:

Hi everyone,
On the other hand, I'm not able to open WF after restarting my computer (and this happens to many people in the team as well). Has anyone experienced this and has any tips? I find myself having to download and reinstall WF in order to be able to start working again. Luckily, everything is there, but still, it's a pain...
I would appreciate any help.
Cheers,
Paula

Hi Paula, have a look at this.

Mac beta fixes crashing issues (5.11)

This build fixes two Mac crashing issues:
- Crash on app launch and close
- Crash when a file browser window is open in the app (when adding a file or TM for example) and you switch focus to another app

After installing this build, follow these instructions:
1. Start at least once WF after installing, then close
2. Go to /Applications/Wordfast Pro.app/Contents/Java/configuration
3. Edit the file config.ini
4. Append the following lines at the end of the file:
org.gs4tr.jxbrowser.type=light
jxbrowser.ipc.external=true
5. Save and close the config.ini file
6. Start the app

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ
I have posted about this before, but was unhappy with two bugs (namely double pasting clipboard content, but also no file drag and drop). The double-pasting issue is resolved; however, you still can’t drag and drop files.
So feel free to install this version if the solving the crashing issue is more important than file drag and drop functionality. Download here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6sgc01ka7hohnee/AAA9CI8VC9CKpGE1bBkHCZ7Na?dl=0

(Courtesy John Di Rico)

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 13:35
Stacked View Sep 9, 2019

Comunican wrote:

Cheers.

It is called Stacked View in WFP 5. Inside TXLF editor File Menu > Switch Editor Layout.

Thank you,
John

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Sep 11, 2019

John Daniel wrote:

Comunican wrote:

Cheers.

It is called Stacked View in WFP 5. Inside TXLF editor File Menu > Switch Editor Layout.

Hi John. Yes, thanks I know this already, but it is nowhere near as well designed visually as in Wordfast Classic unfortunately.

The more I use this new version 5.10.0, the more underwhelmed I am by it (especially after such a long wait) and the more disappointed I feel that they have ignored pretty much all my usability/user design suggestions. I don't know why they have the Feedback option if they just disregard good/valid suggestions from a regular user... grumble, grumble!

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 16:35
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Yes. So many problems. Sep 12, 2019

Many times, I am working on a document and I want to confirm the segment and nothing happens, so I actually have to kill the program and relaunch WF. I would use another CAT, but it is a requirement for the agency I am working with. More problems too. I wrote WF, and yes, I am checking my spam, and haven't heard from them.

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Today's problem Sep 12, 2019

Remote TM didn't load and I had to shut down and restart. Why? I understand that no software is perfect, but I come up against problems every day, and I paid good money for this software. Will be back with more problems to share.

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've been having problems too Sep 13, 2019

Reed James wrote:

Remote TM didn't load and I had to shut down and restart. Why? I understand that no software is perfect, but I come up against problems every day, and I paid good money for this software. Will be back with more problems to share.

I've had a few problems since upgrading to 5.10, too - I wish I hadn't bothered!

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Problems started before upgrade Sep 13, 2019

Comunican wrote:

Reed James wrote:

I've had a few problems since upgrading to 5.10, too - I wish I hadn't bothered!

Another problem out of the many is not being able to add words to the dictionary during spellcheck. Program is completely arbitrary when adding. Some words it will, and other words it wont. Bizarre and annoying. I repeat: I have to use WFP with a big agency and I paid good money for it. And to add insult to injury, they don't address my queries. I repeat, I check my spam folder several times a day.

[Edited at 2019-09-13 21:13 GMT]

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Latest glitch Sep 14, 2019

This time, WFP stayed on top, meaning that I had to minimize it in order to view other windows. Why?

Wolfgang Schoene
France
English to German
+ ...
Am I the only one who is unimpressed by Wordfast Pro 5.10.0? Sep 15, 2019

Reed James wrote:

Hi
as not many WFP5 users seem to have the problems you're complaining about, did you consider the possibility that there's something wrong with your PC setup?

Wolfgang Schoene
France
English to German
+ ...
Am I the only one who is unimpressed by Wordfast Pro 5.10.0? Sep 15, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

I disagree. It's still just as slow as it has always been... dead slow.

This I cannot confirm, changing from one segment to another is as fast as with most other CAT tools,
(iMac, 32 GB, WFP5.1.1ß)

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Am I the only one who is unimpressed by Wordfast Pro 5.10.0?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »