Thread poster: DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 7, 2018

Hello guys)

Sometimes I have short breaks and could translate some 50-100 segments, yet now I have to mark where to stop, which is not funny.

Thus, have you ever encountered a macro to gauge one's performance, including (1) how many segments were translated during the current session so far and (2) how long it took?

Indeed, there're Macro_* in Pandora Box and it seems trivial, but I don't know how make it working and have a (floating?) panel w
... See more
Hello guys)

Sometimes I have short breaks and could translate some 50-100 segments, yet now I have to mark where to stop, which is not funny.

Thus, have you ever encountered a macro to gauge one's performance, including (1) how many segments were translated during the current session so far and (2) how long it took?

Indeed, there're Macro_* in Pandora Box and it seems trivial, but I don't know how make it working and have a (floating?) panel with the number of currently processed segments and time elapsed, anyone?

Furthermore, some PMs may like the idea seeing the whole project/document gauged in sessions--with the number of segments and time--using TM attributes.

TY
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:46
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Insert a time stamp? Apr 8, 2018

In Word you could insert a time stamp in a segment either in source or target.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
atm Apr 8, 2018

Thank you, Heinrich. As I noted, it's more about interim tempo/estimates, just keeping the nose to the wind.

Meanwhile I declared public variables TUnum, TUtime and zer0, and modified WFMT macro as:
Code:
. . .
TUnum = TUnum + 1: s = Str(TUnum) 'increase the TU number and reset output string
If zer0> 1 Then TUtim... See more
Thank you, Heinrich. As I noted, it's more about interim tempo/estimates, just keeping the nose to the wind.

Meanwhile I declared public variables TUnum, TUtime and zer0, and modified WFMT macro as:
Code:
. . .
TUnum = TUnum + 1: s = Str(TUnum) 'increase the TU number and reset output string
If zer0> 1 Then TUtime = (TUtime + (Timer - zer0)) \ TUnum: s = s + " x " + Str(TUtime) Else zer0 = Timer: TUtime = 1
'if it's not the first entry, then update the time and find the average ELSE set initial values
Application.StatusBar = s 'show info at the left-bottom MS Word status line
. . .
If Not Tasks.Exists("Qtranslate") Or Application.NumLock = True Then Exit Sub
. . .

It doesn't work with re-segmentation or cancelled translation, gives overhead to fuzzy matches and such, yet shows segment numbers and average time.

Although, sometimes it's interesting to check the progress and, of course, there're better ways, but I guess it would do for now)

[Edited at 2018-04-08 22:28 GMT]
Collapse

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:46
German to English
+ ...
Look at the TM text file Apr 9, 2018

In Wordfast Classic, the TM (translation memory) file is in .txt format and with a suitable text editor (I usually use notepad++) you can look at all the segments and see the line number of each one. Example: I have a TM file in which line 7 is:

20091228~121306 RD 1 DE-01 Achtung - Gefahr! EN-GB Warning - Danger!

which means:
done at time 12:13:06 on 28 Dec 2009, by user RD, re-used once, DE-01 (source) is "Achtung - Gefahr!", EN-GB (translation) is "Warning - Dan
... See more
In Wordfast Classic, the TM (translation memory) file is in .txt format and with a suitable text editor (I usually use notepad++) you can look at all the segments and see the line number of each one. Example: I have a TM file in which line 7 is:

20091228~121306 RD 1 DE-01 Achtung - Gefahr! EN-GB Warning - Danger!

which means:
done at time 12:13:06 on 28 Dec 2009, by user RD, re-used once, DE-01 (source) is "Achtung - Gefahr!", EN-GB (translation) is "Warning - Danger!"
Line 15 is:

20091228~122331 RD 4 DE-01 Wirkungsweise EN-GB Method of operation

which was done 10 minutes (& 25 seconds!) later, and is 8 segments later. This approach can help you see your progress in segments per hour. If you want to see progress in words per hour, you can select the relevant text in a copy of the original source file (click at the start and then shift-click at the end) and the word processor (at least, Word will do this) will count the words for you in the selected text.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Classic gauge of translation progress

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search