Thread poster: Serena Marangoni
Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:35
French to English
dtp Dec 21, 2017

Serena Marangoni wrote:

What I'm asking is, do other translators work with PDFs directly? If so, do they just not do any DTP or do they do it in acrobat?

[Modificato alle 2017-12-20 15:01 GMT]

Most translators don't do DTP, so they don't have InDesign. So they don't have any use for the source file and will make do with the pdf. Then they have to fiddle about converting the pdf into something they can work with, or they create a Word document from scratch and simply type the translation into, doing just enough formatting for it to be comprehensible.

And so I agree with Mario that you need to make it clear that you're doing two jobs and should bill both so they see what they're getting. Otherwise, they could decide to go with a cheaper translator, then end up paying extra for layout when they discover that translator doesn't do that part.

Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can't wait to try this... Dec 21, 2017

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Why talk about SVG files, since Illustrator files use the .AI file format? Because Adobe Illustrator can import and export SVG files, which can be used as a way to handle Adobe Illustrator projects in CafeTran Espresso, or any other tool for that matter, directly or via a round-trip (I think the same solution—to use SVG—is suggested in the MemoQ's documentation). This would avoid the copy-pasting part you describe, although I guess you will still have some editing work when finalizing the translation in Illustrator, especially to account for the EN>IT expansion rate.

However, a little care may be needed during the export to SVG in Illustrator, as described in: http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Inkscape_for_Adobe_Illustrator_users#To_Save_Files_in_Inkscape_for_Use_with_Adobe_Illustrator_and_vice_versa

Thanks a lot for this tip! It might really help me streamline the process. Does it also work for alignment?

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Great! Dec 21, 2017

Great, please share if it works for you once you try this.

When you say alignment, you mean the "Align two documents" workflow in CafeTran, which uses the progressive or automatic alignment option?

Just tried it with a duplicate SVG file (using the XML filter, for now), and I'm happy to report it works!

EDIT: The SVG file filter has just been introduced in CafeTran's latest build, so you can just use that now...
See more
Great, please share if it works for you once you try this.

When you say alignment, you mean the "Align two documents" workflow in CafeTran, which uses the progressive or automatic alignment option?

Just tried it with a duplicate SVG file (using the XML filter, for now), and I'm happy to report it works!

EDIT: The SVG file filter has just been introduced in CafeTran's latest build, so you can just use that now

[Edited at 2017-12-21 10:47 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Exactly Dec 21, 2017

Texte Style wrote:

It's not the translator who is strange. It's the client who doesn't seem to realise that we need to replace the text while sticking to the same formatting, and that the whole point of a pdf, the reason why the format was created, is that you can't edit it.

I agree. In my case, I offer very reasonable basic rates for translating texts in basic and compatible, easy-to-use standard formats. It is my nº 1 prerequisite condition for collaboration:

1) Las tarifas arriba mencionadas son aplicables a los documentos de texto en WORD o compatible (de fácil manejo). Los documentos en otros formatos (PDF, PageMaker, HTML, FreeHand, etc.) se tasan en función de su nivel de complejidad y el tiempo real necesario para su traducción/revisión.
... which translates into English as something along these lines:
1) The above mentioned rates apply to text documents in WORD or compatible (easy to use) formats. Documents in other formats (PDF, PageMaker, HTML, FreeHand, etc.) are priced according to their level of complexity and the real time required for translation/revision.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is my workflow flawed? Working on brochures/manuals for print

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »