Thread poster: Michael Manion (X)
Michael Manion (X)
Michael Manion (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:56
Russian to English
Oct 8, 2017

Hello,

I am a beginning translator and I am building a portfolio of projects I have done in the past. I have one question regarding the format of a translated document and one about translating citations (since I have a few projects that have citations in them).

Formatting- When writing the translation, can I do it on Microsoft Word? If I can do it on Microsoft Word, should I format each page in two columns (one column English and the other the target language)? ... See more
Hello,

I am a beginning translator and I am building a portfolio of projects I have done in the past. I have one question regarding the format of a translated document and one about translating citations (since I have a few projects that have citations in them).

Formatting- When writing the translation, can I do it on Microsoft Word? If I can do it on Microsoft Word, should I format each page in two columns (one column English and the other the target language)?

Citations- A few of the projects I have done have citations. I do not know which format to translate the citations into: MLA or APA. My question is which citation formatting should I use?

If you can, let me know of any answers to these questions when you get a chance. Also, let me know if you need any clarification to these questions I have.

Regards,
Michael
Collapse

Olga Koepping
Olga Koepping  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:56
German to English
+ ...
In the nicest possible way, you're not quite ready Oct 8, 2017

May I also highlight something you have put in your profile which a fair number of my colleagues might find quite annoying:

"looking to take on translating projects for free translating from Russian into English"

If you had spent three years learning how to re-wire a house, would you advertise online saying "qualified electrician, would like to work for free"?
It is annoying for two reasons: 1) it does you a disservice, as it makes you appear to lack any kind of
... See more
May I also highlight something you have put in your profile which a fair number of my colleagues might find quite annoying:

"looking to take on translating projects for free translating from Russian into English"

If you had spent three years learning how to re-wire a house, would you advertise online saying "qualified electrician, would like to work for free"?
It is annoying for two reasons: 1) it does you a disservice, as it makes you appear to lack any kind of confidence in the quality of your work. 2) it undermines all those of us who do this job full-time, and have to earn our living from it.
I am to be honest very surprised that with such a tagline you are a member of the ATA.
Sorry I've just got so annoyed that I don't really want to help at all.
Collapse

Elena Doroshenko
Elena Doroshenko  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
Могу помочь Oct 9, 2017

Здравствуйте, Майкл! Вы не против, если я пообщаюсь с вами на языке, который вы учили? Заодно и попрактикуетесь.
Действительно, не стоит указывать в своём профиле ProZ, TranslatorsCaffe или какого-либо другого профессионального сообщества, что вы готовы работать бесплатно: члены э
... See more
Здравствуйте, Майкл! Вы не против, если я пообщаюсь с вами на языке, который вы учили? Заодно и попрактикуетесь.
Действительно, не стоит указывать в своём профиле ProZ, TranslatorsCaffe или какого-либо другого профессионального сообщества, что вы готовы работать бесплатно: члены этих сообществ зарабатывают себе на жизнь переводами, и, насколько я понимаю, вы тоже к этому стремитесь. Так что не имеет значения, что вы недавний выпускник вуза, — смело указывайте в профиле свои рабочие ставки.
Другое дело, что практиковаться вы можете совершенно бесплатно, например, переводя прозаические и поэтические произведения русских авторов, понравившиеся песни, статьи или даже блоги — воля ваша, выбор богат. И как раз такие переводы «в своё удовольствие» могут сослужить вам службу и стать вашей визитной карточкой.
Что касается вашего портфолио, на каком языке вы его создаёте? В русском языке есть совершенно чёткие правила пунктуации для цитат и оформления библиографии.
Что касается переводов в портфолио, если вы не оформляете это как авторский блог по вашему собственному усмотрению, лучше, конечно, предоставлять двуязычные файлы. Такие файлы можно получить на выходе из CAT tools: SDL Trados, SmartCAT (кстати, абсолютно бесплатная хорошая «кошка» https://smartcat.ai) и т. п. — или создать самому в Word в виде таблицы из двух колонок на языке оригинала и языке перевода.
Также, если вам нужна практика, можно поучаствовать в бесплатных проектах на https://crowdin.com
Если есть вопросы, буду рада помочь, только уберите из своего профиля слова «currently looking to take on translating projects for free translating from Russian into English».

Удачи!
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:56
French to English
format Oct 9, 2017

Word is great for formatting your translations and you're the one to decide how to present them.
I would suggest creating a pdf so nobody can edit your translation.

I wouldn't use two columns on one page though, I don't think it would be very legible.
I had to put together a portfolio at one point and opted to have source on the left page and target on the right, the pages being printed on both sides. I aligned the target paragraphs so that each one started on the sa
... See more
Word is great for formatting your translations and you're the one to decide how to present them.
I would suggest creating a pdf so nobody can edit your translation.

I wouldn't use two columns on one page though, I don't think it would be very legible.
I had to put together a portfolio at one point and opted to have source on the left page and target on the right, the pages being printed on both sides. I aligned the target paragraphs so that each one started on the same line as in the source. This looked smart and was easy to read.

You might need to make sure you have permission to reproduce those translations!

As for citations, I had to look up MLA and APA. I would say the vast majority of clients couldn't care less. The most important thing is for the file to be crystal clear and to use consistent formatting throughout.
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 06:56
Dutch to English
+ ...
Addition to the above Oct 9, 2017

I agree with Olga that you should not work for free, except for Translators Without Borders. I agree with all the suggestions by Texte Style.

As far as MLA or APA goes, that depends on the subject matter. For citations in the social sciences you can use APA. For other translations, besides MLA there are many other manuals available on
... See more
I agree with Olga that you should not work for free, except for Translators Without Borders. I agree with all the suggestions by Texte Style.

As far as MLA or APA goes, that depends on the subject matter. For citations in the social sciences you can use APA. For other translations, besides MLA there are many other manuals available online, see for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Style_guide . It has a comprehensive list of guides by country and by subject. In North America the Chicago Manual of Style is often required for books, journal articles and such, that's the one I use the most. For journalism, newspaper and magazines often have their own preferred style. It is always best to check with the client.
Collapse

Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
Local time: 14:56
German to English
+ ...
Source formatting Oct 10, 2017

Michael Manion wrote:

Citations- A few of the projects I have done have citations. I do not know which format to translate the citations into: MLA or APA. My question is which citation formatting should I use?

If you can, let me know of any answers to these questions when you get a chance. Also, let me know if you need any clarification to these questions I have.

Regards,
Michael

I am puzzled by this. If the client requires translation of the citation at all, do you not just use the formatting in the source document?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Citations and Translation Formatting

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »