Jeff Skinner
Jeff Skinner  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 23:41
Swedish to English
+ ...
Jan 25, 2017

Hello ProZ folk!

I'm working on a Swe>Eng bibliography for a fairly large book coming out next year, and a portion of the text is the names of various Parliamentary proposals, motions, bills, laws, and so forth from various points in history.

I understand that literary sources - books, articles, and such - should best be left untranslated so that anyone wishing to track down the source will have an easier time of it, but what about titles of parliamentary material with
... See more
Hello ProZ folk!

I'm working on a Swe>Eng bibliography for a fairly large book coming out next year, and a portion of the text is the names of various Parliamentary proposals, motions, bills, laws, and so forth from various points in history.

I understand that literary sources - books, articles, and such - should best be left untranslated so that anyone wishing to track down the source will have an easier time of it, but what about titles of parliamentary material with appended reference numbers? For example, Prop. 19XX:XXX, SOU 19XX:X, 20XX/XX:AXX and so on. My gut feeling is that the names should be translated so the reader has some idea of what the document is about and can decide from there whether they'd be interested in tracking it down.

Should they be translated or left as is? Is there a standard practice?

This isn't urgent - have to deliver on Tuesday - so I don't need an answer in the next five minutes.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 00:41
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
there are several ways to kill this cat Jan 25, 2017

1) if there is not official translation in the target language, e.g.:
Author A. B., Original Swedish Title (title in English translated by you, just for reference) [in Swedish], Book, Year, No. of pages.
↑ Swedish title will be used to search for the publication in a library or in the Internet
↑ Remark "[in Swedish]" is intended to prevent the attempts to search for it in English.

1) if there is official translation in the target language, e.g.:... See more
1) if there is not official translation in the target language, e.g.:
Author A. B., Original Swedish Title (title in English translated by you, just for reference) [in Swedish], Book, Year, No. of pages.
↑ Swedish title will be used to search for the publication in a library or in the Internet
↑ Remark "[in Swedish]" is intended to prevent the attempts to search for it in English.

1) if there is official translation in the target language, e.g.:
Author A. B., Official Title In English (Original Swedish Title), Book, Year, No. of pages.
↑ Swedish OR English title will be used to search for the publication in a library or in the Internet

[Редактировалось 2017-01-25 11:40 GMT]

[Редактировалось 2017-01-25 11:40 GMT]
Collapse

Jeff Skinner
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not exactly what I was asking Jan 25, 2017

Hello Sergey - thanks for the answer, but that wasn't the question I was asking. The references I'm asking about are documents from the Riksdag. Let me give a specific example:

SOU 1935:5. Förslag till ändrade bestämmelser rörande allmänna handligars offentlighet

Since the book itself is being translated into English, I'm assuming that very few people who read it may be able to read Swedish. Should I translate entries like this into English, or should I let them be?

Sofia Aldazabal Wood
Sofia Aldazabal Wood
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
I hope this helps Jan 25, 2017

Hello,

I don't translate from or into Swedish (I'm Eng-Spa) but in legal translation usually we translate it (Ley de registro de nacimientos y defunciones) but then we put the English version (original) into brackets just in case the person/s want to track it/them down. So they have both options! Helping both sides

I hope this helps.
Good luck!

Sofia

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Hej Jan 25, 2017

Jeff Skinner wrote:

Hello Sergey - thanks for the answer, but that wasn't the question I was asking. The references I'm asking about are documents from the Riksdag. Let me give a specific example:

SOU 1935:5. Förslag till ändrade bestämmelser rörande allmänna handligars offentlighet

Since the book itself is being translated into English, I'm assuming that very few people who read it may be able to read Swedish. Should I translate entries like this into English, or should I let them be?

He seems to me to be answering just that???

My usual policy is to use the official translation if there is one (unless it's seriously rubbish, as is often the case), and otherwise put the Swedish title with a translation in square brackets.

Ultimately though it's up to you to gauge what the reader needs to know in your specific context.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
I do not know Swedish, Jan 25, 2017

... so, I would...

— google for the translations (if any) and use then in the parentheses,
OR
— simply quote as is, i.e.:
"SOU 1935:5. Förslag till ändrade bestämmelser rörande allmänna handligars offentlighet"
and let the reader search this "SOU 1935:5", it is a unique ID code and people dealing with such documents know what to do with such IDs.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
anyway Jan 25, 2017

Chris S wrote:
My usual policy is to use the official translation if there is one (unless it's seriously rubbish, as is often the case), and otherwise put the Swedish title with a translation in square brackets.

And this ID → SOU 1935:5

Jeff Skinner
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Chris and Sergey Jan 27, 2017

That seems like the most reasonable approach. I appreciate both your input!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating names of laws, motions, bills. etc. in a bibliography

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »