Thread poster: Juan Martín Fernández Rowda
Juan Martín Fernández Rowda
Juan Martín Fernández Rowda  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 27, 2016

I'm starting a new series of posts to help translators to code. Don't get me wrong - it's not about turning translators into developers, it's just about tips and simple guidelines for those translators who are interested in automating some of their processes, work smarter and save time. Personally, it helped me a lot.

Here's the link to the first post: http://wp.me/p7SaYW-1p

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
... Dec 28, 2016

Juan Martín Fernández Rowda wrote:

I'm starting a new series of posts to help translators to code. Don't get me wrong - it's not about turning translators into developers, it's just about tips and simple guidelines for those translators who are interested in automating some of their processes, work smarter and save time. Personally, it helped me a lot.

Here's the link to the first post: http://wp.me/p7SaYW-1p

There are already numerous web sites dedicated to teaching how to use AutoHotkey at all levels: beginner, intermediate and advanced. Probably you would need to create tutorials for tasks (or other content) specific to translators, otherwise it will be difficult to attract audience from this particular universe of professionals.

I wish you the best of luck.

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's the idea Dec 28, 2016

Thanks, Miguel. The lack of sites teaching people to code is not a problem - as you say, there are probably too many. However, I feel that none of those are created by translators for translators. And another thing: convincing linguists to try to write code, not easy. They key, to me, is having translators see the advantage with real-life examples.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:24
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thanks Juan! Dec 28, 2016

I've bookmarked your blog as I keep meaning to teach myself some more AHK. I actually use tons of AHK scripts in my daily life/work, but have never gotten much farther than cobbling together stolen pieces of code, and creating very rudimentary mini scripts. I use AHK for all kinds of things, and also use it together with KnowBrainer 2017 and Dragon / voice recognition. E.g., I can select some text anywhere on my computer, and say "Google search!", and KnowBrainer 2017 will trigger a little AHK s... See more
I've bookmarked your blog as I keep meaning to teach myself some more AHK. I actually use tons of AHK scripts in my daily life/work, but have never gotten much farther than cobbling together stolen pieces of code, and creating very rudimentary mini scripts. I use AHK for all kinds of things, and also use it together with KnowBrainer 2017 and Dragon / voice recognition. E.g., I can select some text anywhere on my computer, and say "Google search!", and KnowBrainer 2017 will trigger a little AHK script (see below) that will launch a Google search in my default browser for the selection.

Michael

[Edited at 2016-12-28 23:53 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Thanks Dec 29, 2016

That was interesting and could be very useful

sam@fr-uk
sam@fr-uk
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:24
French to English
Thanks very much! Dec 29, 2016

Chris S wrote:

That was interesting and could be very useful

Ditto. I picked up some very handy tips from your first post, so I hope you’ll have time for more.

AnnaSCHTR
AnnaSCHTR  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:24
English to Czech
+ ...
Thank you Jan 2, 2017

What a great idea. I really appreciate a specific, translator-oriented practical advice, as I have no time to go through the hours of tutorials. Looking forward to read more of your posts!

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly! Jan 9, 2017

That's exactly the message I want to convey: how coding even little scripts can help us work more efficiently! We are so caught up in our work that sometimes we don't think about how we could make things easier for us.

Thanks, Michael!

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

I've bookmarked your blog as I keep meaning to teach myself some more AHK. I actually use tons of AHK scripts in my daily life/work, but have never gotten much farther than cobbling together stolen pieces of code, and creating very rudimentary mini scripts. I use AHK for all kinds of things, and also use it together with KnowBrainer 2017 and Dragon / voice recognition. E.g., I can select some text anywhere on my computer, and say "Google search!", and KnowBrainer 2017 will trigger a little AHK script (see below) that will launch a Google search in my default browser for the selection.

Michael

[Edited at 2016-12-28 23:53 GMT]

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Post #2 is ready... Jan 9, 2017

https://juanrowdablog.wordpress.com/2017/01/07/getting-translators-to-code-ii-a-powerful-yet-simple-search-script/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting Translators to Code

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »