English-Russian interpreters in the UK - demand and supply?
Thread poster: Yulia Tsybysheva BA MSc MCIL
Yulia Tsybysheva BA MSc MCIL
Yulia Tsybysheva BA MSc MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:25
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 10, 2013

Dear colleagues,

I was wondering whether any UK-based English-Russian interpreters (especially those with a DPSI) could offer their advice.

Having mostly worked as a freelance translator for the past 7+ years and having moved from Russia to the UK about 3 years ago I've recently started looking at interpreting too. In fact, I did quite a few interpreting assignments early on in my career and had wonderful mentors who encouraged and took me on board, which makes me thin
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I was wondering whether any UK-based English-Russian interpreters (especially those with a DPSI) could offer their advice.

Having mostly worked as a freelance translator for the past 7+ years and having moved from Russia to the UK about 3 years ago I've recently started looking at interpreting too. In fact, I did quite a few interpreting assignments early on in my career and had wonderful mentors who encouraged and took me on board, which makes me think I wasn't a terrible interpreter and it was also somewhat more exciting and rewarding than translating, although I enjoy that too.

I started thinking of taking a DPSI exam (preparing for language exams of all kinds gives me a thrill), but what I'm worried about is that the supply of En-Ru interpreters in the UK might be exceeding the demand (compared to such languages as Lithuanian, Latvian, Polish, for example).

I am not hoping to switch to just doing interpreting - surely the number of assignments won't be enough, so I'm a bit unsure about investing into DPSI. Also, I'm not necessarily striving to translate in court, but I was hoping that having this kind of qualification would boost my rating even for less daunting interpreting jobs.

Another factor - I am based in the South West, where there's no particularly strong Russian community. I used to live in the Midlands, where a friend of mine gets numerous interpreting jobs without any interpreting qualifications.

So, my question is - is it worth it?
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

English-Russian interpreters in the UK - demand and supply?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »