Article: Lost (and Found) In Translation
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 20, 2007

This topic is for discussion of the ProZ.com translation article "Lost (and Found) In Translation ".

Morano El-Kholy
Morano El-Kholy  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 17:28
Member (2011)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Our hard task. May 15, 2012

Dear colleague,

Thanks for this fabulous article. I enjoyed reading it.

I think when you said:

A good translation must be a balance between what gets lost and what can be found. The translation of non-standard language, even if it is a very difficult task at times, can be extremely fascinating and rewarding (at least in terms of personal satisfaction, since literary translators are rarely well paid). Once a skilled translator has become aware of all the implications of the original version, the next step is to muster up a suitable dose of creativity, to take try to find ways of making sure that as little as possible is lost and as much as possible is found in the translated version

You meant that it is rather a challenging task!

Yes one had to make a balance between the original & the translated text; preserving all

the implications & conveying meaning, metaphors & figures of speech as much as one can.

Here lies our cleverness as translators.

My kindest regards to you & waiting to read more articles....

Morano ElKholy.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Article: Lost (and Found) In Translation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »