Article: Making Your Resume Stand-Out: A Lesson in Professionalism
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 15, 2006

This topic is for discussion of the ProZ.com translation article "Making Your Resume Stand-Out: A Lesson in Professionalism".

whither has fle
whither has fle
France
Local time: 15:52
French to English
agree absolutely But.. Apr 26, 2009

I absolutely agree with what was said but I found it just a little elementary. Translation is a very competitive business and it is difficult to imagine anybody applying for a translation job without stating which language they work from and into. It would be interesting though to have some "inside" advice on how résumés are viewed. I mean in the way that an agency might receive 50 perfectly good résumés, so what is likely to make them decide on "the ONE"?

If all the necessary
... See more
I absolutely agree with what was said but I found it just a little elementary. Translation is a very competitive business and it is difficult to imagine anybody applying for a translation job without stating which language they work from and into. It would be interesting though to have some "inside" advice on how résumés are viewed. I mean in the way that an agency might receive 50 perfectly good résumés, so what is likely to make them decide on "the ONE"?

If all the necessary facts are supplied I imagine that the presentation would be an important factor. So, at the moment I am working on what might make a more "visually atractive" résumé.

As you do work in an agency I would very much appreciate any advice from you on the subject, for example, how to "personalize" the résumé without giving unnessary details.

I look forward to hearing from you.

yours sincerely,

Joan Cahill.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:52
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
American punctuation required? Jan 9, 2010

Although I agree with all the other points in your article, I do think it's a little steep to expect everyone in an international situation to obey American rules of punctuation.

Apart from being a French to English translator, I teach business English in France. I find that many students don't actually know there is a difference between the two variants of English. From time to time I come across a student who is amazed to learn that he or she speaks American rather than British En
... See more
Although I agree with all the other points in your article, I do think it's a little steep to expect everyone in an international situation to obey American rules of punctuation.

Apart from being a French to English translator, I teach business English in France. I find that many students don't actually know there is a difference between the two variants of English. From time to time I come across a student who is amazed to learn that he or she speaks American rather than British English, whereas it's British that's taught in most schools!

I'm British and personally try to avoid all Americanisms even when I know them, but I would never try to impose my variant on other people. To a non-native speaker, English is English is English. I prepare students for English business exams, where all variants of English are acceptable and must not be penalised (perhaps you would prefer penalized?). When I prepared a student for the IGCSE English First Language exam (a British English school certificate), I would have marked as an error several words used in your article: resume, movie, theater, momma, gal, butt would all have received attention from my red pen!

In short, I don't think "errors" as seen from an American-only viewpoint should be held against a translator working with English as their source language. Of course, if I were to offer my services as a translator specifically into American English (which I won't be doing!), then I would have to comply with American rules of vocabulary, spelling and punctuation.
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:52
Russian to English
+ ...
It is perfectly alright to address someone by Jan 19, 2014

their first name in New York, especially when the person signs their e-mails or even some letters by their first name only. It might be better to use both names,or the last name, but it is not such a big deal the Northeast. Many general managers would not even reveal their last name right away--it depends on the circumstances. There are more important things that the form of addressing people in the translation field, so I would not so readily reject qualified translators just because they were ... See more
their first name in New York, especially when the person signs their e-mails or even some letters by their first name only. It might be better to use both names,or the last name, but it is not such a big deal the Northeast. Many general managers would not even reveal their last name right away--it depends on the circumstances. There are more important things that the form of addressing people in the translation field, so I would not so readily reject qualified translators just because they were not familiar with the form of addressing people in some parts of the United States, or another country.

Of course each translation agencies, especially if they don't employ editors who speak the languages that the company accepts for translation, are risking a lot--they always have the choice of not accepting work in the languages that they cannot evaluate.

[Edited at 2014-01-19 17:25 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Article: Making Your Resume Stand-Out: A Lesson in Professionalism

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »