Article: Five easy (and free) ways to boost your profile traffic
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 27, 2005

This topic is for discussion of the ProZ.com translation article "Five easy (and free) ways to boost your profile traffic".

Carmen Álvarez
Carmen Álvarez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:52
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ordering fields of expertise Jun 30, 2005

I have just read the article and I found that my page is shown in Google with "Mathematics and Statistics" as the main field of expertise.
In fact, I am a Physicist, so I would like to show Physics as my main field. Is it possible to do that
Thank you

Leticia Klemetz, CT
Leticia Klemetz, CT  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 15:52
Swedish to Spanish
+ ...
basic but needed Jul 5, 2005

Dear friends all,

I liked the article because although the comments are easy and basic (fortunately I was doing it all, already), I noticed some people really don't do all of that! I was surprised by a member asking me why he never got jobs and I asked him what his profile was: it was basically blank! I had to tell him step by step what to fill in.
Considering there still are such cases, I think it's important that we all know what it takes to have a more complete page.
... See more
Dear friends all,

I liked the article because although the comments are easy and basic (fortunately I was doing it all, already), I noticed some people really don't do all of that! I was surprised by a member asking me why he never got jobs and I asked him what his profile was: it was basically blank! I had to tell him step by step what to fill in.
Considering there still are such cases, I think it's important that we all know what it takes to have a more complete page.
Finally, thanks to Henry for creating ProZ! Although I don't get many jobs from the site, I consider it a great tool (blueboard and KudoZ, mainly) for my job.
Have a great summer!
Tisha from Spain
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 11:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
where is the link to my website in my profile page? Nov 20, 2005

Henry said:
"Linking to your profile from elsewhere on the web provides a special benefit: search engines like Google will assign a higher priority to your profile. So when a potential client searches for a translator in your field, your profile will stand a better chance of coming up early in the results.

Where to link from? If you have your own website, link from there. (And link back to your website from your profile.) And, where appropriate and permitted, consider linking
... See more
Henry said:
"Linking to your profile from elsewhere on the web provides a special benefit: search engines like Google will assign a higher priority to your profile. So when a potential client searches for a translator in your field, your profile will stand a better chance of coming up early in the results.

Where to link from? If you have your own website, link from there. (And link back to your website from your profile.) And, where appropriate and permitted, consider linking from forum posts to your profile. (At ProZ.com, your profile is linked to each time your post.)"

===========================================

Hi Henry,

I included my website in my profile data, but I don`t seem to find it in my profile page anymore. I remember having seeing it some time ago.
Has this feature disappared or changed? If that is so, this article should be upadfted.
Thanks for your soon response,

Walter
Collapse

Galina F
Galina F
United States
Local time: 10:52
English to Russian
+ ...
Great Mar 18, 2006

Wise and helpful advices, thank you, Henry.

[Edited at 2006-03-18 11:23]

dmoamin
dmoamin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:52
Arabic to English
+ ...
good but not enough Nov 12, 2006

This article was good. However i wish it provided an example of keywords to use. This seems to be a bit tough to figure. Actually i found out that if you do a search engine (not on proz.com) but in yahoo for example you can get your profile viewed. But what exactly would be considered a good keyword and how does the search engine work would be the right questions o ask, if someone can assist with this that would be great.
Thanks

abdullah erol (X)
abdullah erol (X)
Local time: 17:52
English to Turkish
+ ...
Thanks for the tips Jul 14, 2007

I found your optimization techniques helpful, particularly your comments about profile localization. I localized my keywords into several languages and added some critical keywords to attract more traffic to my profile!

[Değişiklik saati 2007-07-14 11:54]

Patricia Sabau
Patricia Sabau
Local time: 16:52
English to Italian
+ ...
thanks for the tips Aug 14, 2007

Hi to everyone,

I really enjoyed reading this article, and I sure hope it will help me improve me profile page.....good luck to you all

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:52
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Thank you Henry! Nov 4, 2007

Following your advice I immediately re-ordered so easily !! my language pairs. Hope this help me (as a part-time freelancer, or as I call myself - Night & Sunday Worker) to finally obtain steady contact with ProZ outsourcers.

Katia Vasconcelos
Katia Vasconcelos  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Helpful Jul 13, 2010

Thank you, Henry. Your comments were helpful. I hurried to follow and expect to change my profile and consequently to boost opportunities!

Jorge Reparaz
Jorge Reparaz  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
No beating around the bush Jun 17, 2019

Excellent article for someone who is trying to get to know the ropes. I must admit the style perfectly fits my obsessive mindset: it goes straight to the point with lots of practical info translated into tips and links. I became a member some years ago, but I must admit I’ve never paid attention to the site... until now. This piece is very helpful. The author’s goal is to help you get your bearings and he does it to perfection without wasting a second of your time. Congratulations.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Article: Five easy (and free) ways to boost your profile traffic

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »