Search ‘background’ Dictionaries while translating in Transit NXT, which are not auto-searched?
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:28
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sep 10, 2019

I'm new to Transit NXT, and am wondering if there's a way to search through multiple TermStar Dictionaries while translating, even if some of them are not project Dictionaries. That is, if they aren't being automatically searched for potential matches while translating.

Use case: while translating, I connect several large background Dictionaries, and one or more project Dictionaries for matches.

Michael

Gerald Dennett
Gerald Dennett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Use as many dictionaries as you like Sep 10, 2019

Just add as many dictionaries as you need. You can add and remove dictionaries to the project at will.
Dictionaries that are not loaded will not be searched.
HTH
Gerald

Iris Kleinophorst
Iris Kleinophorst  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:28
Chinese to German
+ ...
Order the project dictionaries according to priority Sep 10, 2019

Hi Michael

Yes, Gerald is right, of course, just add any dictionary that might contain useful vocabulary.

You can define a hierarchy/priority of your dictionaries in the dictionary tab of the project settings by selecting a single dictionary and pulling it up or down in the list. This way, potential matches are displayed according to priority.

HTH
Iris

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks (both of you)! Sep 10, 2019

However, I don't think I was clear enough.

What I mean is: can you set it so that certain Dictionaries are automatically searched for relevant terminology while translating (these are loaded in the project as you both mentioned), and others only for manual searching.

The use case for this would be if you have several very large Dictionaries which you would like to be able to search manually, but which might produce too many matches while translatin
... See more
However, I don't think I was clear enough.

What I mean is: can you set it so that certain Dictionaries are automatically searched for relevant terminology while translating (these are loaded in the project as you both mentioned), and others only for manual searching.

The use case for this would be if you have several very large Dictionaries which you would like to be able to search manually, but which might produce too many matches while translating (resulting in a Terminology pane in Transit with too many hits).

I suppose you could just open any large (‘background’) Dictionaries in TermStar, and search them manually in TermStar, while translating in Transit with the project Dictionaries connected.

Michael
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
SQL Sep 10, 2019

You will have to use the SQL engine for huge glossaries.

You can add a # before all source terms before importing them. This way they won’t be matched automatically. You’ll have to add the # for manual searches.

Iris Kleinophorst
Iris Kleinophorst  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:28
Chinese to German
+ ...
Extra project in second instance of Transit/TermStar Sep 10, 2019

Hi Michael,

well, you can always open as many dictionaries as you want in separate windows via the Dictionary tab in the bottom line of the Transit window. However, you will have to search each opened dictionary individually.

As for a separate instance, you could try to set up a different project with all your extra dictionaries and open a second instance of Transit or TermStar with that extra project. Then you can search all "project" dictionaries at once. Depending on
... See more
Hi Michael,

well, you can always open as many dictionaries as you want in separate windows via the Dictionary tab in the bottom line of the Transit window. However, you will have to search each opened dictionary individually.

As for a separate instance, you could try to set up a different project with all your extra dictionaries and open a second instance of Transit or TermStar with that extra project. Then you can search all "project" dictionaries at once. Depending on the size of the dictionaries, this might impact Transit's or TermStar's stability, though. I think I've done this before for cleaning up dictionaries on the go, but my dictionaries weren't very large then.

HTH
Iris
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Search ‘background’ Dictionaries while translating in Transit NXT, which are not auto-searched?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »