Thread poster: Lucy Kr (X)
Lucy Kr (X)
Lucy Kr (X)
Cyprus
Local time: 23:48
English to Czech
+ ...
Mar 9, 2019

Hi guys, I am new to subtitling, but I learned and understand everything except the shot change. Could someone please explain to me. I know that the subtitles should be timed according the shot change, but when the shot change happens, what is it excatly? Thank you for any replies.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:48
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Shot change Mar 9, 2019

It's either a change of location, scene or angle.

Manuel Bas y Mansilla
Manuel Bas y Mansilla  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Spanish
Example Mar 9, 2019

In this example, you can see how the subtitle dissappears a few frames before the camera angle changes (0:07):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiBLgQA1wos

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... Mar 10, 2019

Here's a link describing how Netflix handles shot changes:

https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.com/hc/en-us/articles/215758617-Timed-Text-Style-Guide-General-Requirements

Lucy Kr (X)
Lucy Kr (X)
Cyprus
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you all Mar 10, 2019

Jan Truper wrote:

Here's a link describing how Netflix handles shot changes:

https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.com/hc/en-us/articles/215758617-Timed-Text-Style-Guide-General-Requirements

Could you please give me some example regarding the Netflix shot changes, I think I get it but I need to see it on example. I would appreciate it very much.

Sylvano
Sylvano
English to French
Shot change 101 Mar 11, 2019

Your sub has to appear/disappear a few frames before/after the shot change (even if you're not exactly in synch with the sound). This is theory, to be followed whenever possible or compulsory (i.e. when it doesn't prevent the viewer from reading the sub or for instance if the change is indeed between two different scenes). You should avoid overlapping a SC as much as possible (because the eye will naturally read again the same sub if it detects a SC), but you may overlap a SC under certain condi... See more
Your sub has to appear/disappear a few frames before/after the shot change (even if you're not exactly in synch with the sound). This is theory, to be followed whenever possible or compulsory (i.e. when it doesn't prevent the viewer from reading the sub or for instance if the change is indeed between two different scenes). You should avoid overlapping a SC as much as possible (because the eye will naturally read again the same sub if it detects a SC), but you may overlap a SC under certain conditions : too little time to read the sub properly, shots lasting under one second, etc. But in that case, you should try to balance evenly the duration of your sub before and after the cut, in order to disturb the eye as little as possible. And this is of course only working for short subs, otherwise you have to do two subs (rather than a long one).

[Edited at 2019-03-11 16:18 GMT]
Collapse

Anu Shobana

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Positioning to shot change Mar 11, 2019

Hi Lucie,

It was so challenging for me to get the idea as a non-English speaker but once I got it I said, "Is that it?". It's pretty simple. Nowadays, as a translator, if you're using vendor's software, you don't have to worry about adjusting the in/out times of subtitles during shot changes, tech guys are taking care of it. They don't even want you to change the timecodes. But of course, it is good to know have a knowledge. But if you're creating the sub boxes yourself, then you ha
... See more
Hi Lucie,

It was so challenging for me to get the idea as a non-English speaker but once I got it I said, "Is that it?". It's pretty simple. Nowadays, as a translator, if you're using vendor's software, you don't have to worry about adjusting the in/out times of subtitles during shot changes, tech guys are taking care of it. They don't even want you to change the timecodes. But of course, it is good to know have a knowledge. But if you're creating the sub boxes yourself, then you have to know. Okay, here we go. This is from Netflix guidelines, I'll try to explain my way.

12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 SC 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Each number represents “one frame”. Let’s say we have a subtitle/dialogue starting at 7th frame on the left and ends at the 4th frame on the right. And we have a SC (shot change) right in the middle of that subtitle/dialogue. Netflix says, “If a dialogue starts 7 frames or less (6, 5, 4 etc., it does above as you can see) from a shot change, move the in-time of that subtitle to the SC.” So the subtitle will pop-up same time as the shot change, not 7 frames before the shot change. I'm trying to add some pictures. Let me know please if this is the kind of explanation you ask then I'll continue with other rules.

Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 20.37.59

This is how the new subtitle box looks on the stream
So new subtitle will look like this on the stream.

[Edited at 2019-03-11 18:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-03-12 07:40 GMT]
Collapse

Ahmed ALEM
Maureen Peng

Khalid Sabili
Khalid Sabili  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Too short? Mar 30, 2019

Sarper Aman wrote:

Hi Lucie,

It was so challenging for me to get the idea as a non-English speaker but once I got it I said, "Is that it?". It's pretty simple. Nowadays, as a translator, if you're using vendor's software, you don't have to worry about adjusting the in/out times of subtitles during shot changes, tech guys are taking care of it. They don't even want you to change the timecodes. But of course, it is good to know have a knowledge. But if you're creating the sub boxes yourself, then you have to know. Okay, here we go. This is from Netflix guidelines, I'll try to explain my way.

Each number represents “one frame”. Let’s say we have a subtitle/dialogue starting at 7th frame on the left and ends at the 4th frame on the right. And we have a SC (shot change) right in the middle of that subtitle/dialogue. Netflix says, “If a dialogue starts 7 frames or less (6, 5, 4 etc., it does above as you can see) from a shot change, move the in-time of that subtitle to the SC.” So the subtitle will pop-up same time as the shot change, not 7 frames before the shot change. I'm trying to add some pictures. Let me know please if this is the kind of explanation you ask then I'll continue with other rules.

But in this example the subtitle is only visible for 4 frames, whereas Netflix has a 20 frames minimum according to https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.com/hc/en-us/articles/215758617-Timed-Text-Style-Guide-General-Requirements

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Yep. Mar 30, 2019

There's no 4 frame subtitle for sure. I mean, I didn't see. I thought it's known, thou. This was to show the in-time with a Shot Change conflict.

Lifeng Li
Lifeng Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 04:48
English to Chinese
about the 2 frames gap Apr 14, 2019

Personally, I don't like the 2 frames gap between a subtitle's end and a shot change, and between closed subtitles in Netflix's style, I'd like there is no gap.
But I believe it's really a matter of personal preference.

See more
Personally, I don't like the 2 frames gap between a subtitle's end and a shot change, and between closed subtitles in Netflix's style, I'd like there is no gap.
But I believe it's really a matter of personal preference.

[Edited at 2019-04-15 14:01 GMT]
Collapse

Valentina Lukin

Mahtab Alam
Mahtab Alam
India
Local time: 02:18
Member (2019)
English to Hindi
+ ...
So, what's exactly shot change mean? Any definition Oct 17, 2019

Sarper Aman wrote:

Hi Lucie,

Valentina Lukin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Shot change

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »