Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:04
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Dec 17, 2018

When I open my page of forums, I see that various icons are "twitching" on topics where I have signed up, as a reminder that there have new posts since I last visited. But there are no new posts. I find this mildly annoying, and would like it to stop. It seems to happen at random; for instance surely this new thread I just opened should be "twitching"? But it isn't.

[Edited at 2018-12-17 09:57 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:04
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Tom Dec 17, 2018

Tom in London wrote:
When I open my page of forums, I see that various icons are "twitching" on topics where I have signed up, as a reminder that there have new posts since I last visited.

I've never seen that feature. I know of no feature in ProZ.com that shows when a thread has new posts since one's last visit. The forum does show when a thread as "new posts since some unknown arbitrary time in the past", though. Such threads have a red folder icon instead of a yellow one.

Are you, perhaps, talking about hot topics, i.e. and ? Those flames come up with the thread has more than a certain number of posts in it.

[Edited at 2018-12-17 10:18 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yeah - that Dec 17, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

Tom in London wrote:
When I open my page of forums, I see that various icons are "twitching" on topics where I have signed up, as a reminder that there have new posts since I last visited.

I've never seen that feature. I know of no feature in ProZ.com that shows when a thread has new posts since one's last visit. The forum does show when a thread as "new posts since some unknown arbitrary time in the past", though. Such threads have a red folder icon instead of a yellow one.

Are you, perhaps, talking about hot topics, i.e. and ? Those flames come up with the thread has more than a certain number of posts in it.

Yes- that- really annoying. Looks like a sizzleburger advertisement. And those things keep on sizzling even if nobody has posted in them. Please make them stop.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Now that's what I call a low annoyance threshold :-) Dec 17, 2018

Have you any idea how tempting it is to reply to this thread 50 times and set it on fire?

Fiona Grace Peterson
Jessica Noyes
Gerard de Noord
Michele Fauble
writeaway
Richard Varga (X)

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
@Chris S Dec 17, 2018

That would be how to make a ChristmaZ tree.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Solution Dec 17, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

Yes- that- really annoying. Looks like a sizzleburger advertisement. And those things keep on sizzling even if nobody has posted in them. Please make them stop.

Tom, just install Adblock Plus, right click on the icons you can't stand and then choose "Block element", et voilà!

Liviu-Lee Roth

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't work Dec 17, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Tom, just install Adblock Plus, right click on the icons you can't stand and then choose "Block element", et voilà!

Tried that. It doesn't work.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Weird Dec 17, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Tried that. It doesn't work.

Works fine here.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 07:04
Chinese to English
+ ...
15 Dec 17, 2018

Chris S wrote:

Have you any idea how tempting it is to reply to this thread 50 times and set it on fire?

The threshold is 15 posts. We're halfway there.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
sizzleburger (post 16) Dec 17, 2018

Lincoln Hui wrote:

The threshold is 15 posts. We're halfway there.

Those sizzleburgers only appear to show, that the forists involved with these posts have also to flip burgers to make a living from their freelancing jobs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvIuKoVO4RY

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Settings Dec 17, 2018

Chris S wrote:

Have you tried adjusting your settings? That sometimes works. Throwing the computer out of the window is also effective.

Sundar Gopalakrishnan
Liviu-Lee Roth

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Supersize Me Dec 17, 2018

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Those sizzleburgers only appear to show, that the forists involved with these posts have also to flip burgers to make a living from their freelancing jobs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvIuKoVO4RY

Would you like fries with that?

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Thanks ... Dec 17, 2018

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:

Would you like fries with that?

... and with some of the hot garlic sauce, please ...

[Bearbeitet am 2018-12-17 14:27 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Get set..., go! Dec 17, 2018

Chris S wrote:

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
:) Dec 17, 2018

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Annoying feature in the forums

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »