Thread poster: Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:27
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
May 24, 2018

Where formerly there was the IP address, today I see a "viewer ID", like 5de7e.... Now what does this mean?
At least, with the IP address we could find out where the visitor came from, but his is totally cryptical for me.

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
We know .... May 24, 2018

Christel Zipfel wrote:

Where formerly there was the IP address, today I see a "viewer ID", like 5de7e.... Now what does this mean?
At least, with the IP address we could find out where the visitor came from, but his is totally cryptical for me.

Hi Christel,

See this thread:

https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_profile_help/325574-is_this_for_real_no_ips_are_shown_any_more_but_codes.html

Bests,
Katalin

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:27
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Fulfilling GDPR I presume... May 24, 2018

Hello Christel,

I think this is it, see Samuel's thread, which might solve (from what I gather, have been translating tons of docs about GDPR in the past weeks) the problem.

https://www.proz.com/topic/325580

Giuliana

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both May 24, 2018

I didn't see the other threads.
So if my understanding is correct, we can now be bombarded by spam without being able to do anything about it.
Not only on ProZ: the same principle will be valid for e-mails, for example, where the IP address will not be shown any more, I guess, and so on...
Long live the GDPR!

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:27
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Actually, no, it'd be the opposite May 24, 2018

theoretically, it goes two ways: no contact is allowed if we do not agree first to be contacted, fact is that once we have agreed, anything would flow in.

So far, the only "good" thing of GDPR has been being flooded with GDPR mails by sites (also those I couldn't remember to have dealt with) or peers, causing a significant *waste* of my time. For, you know, you can't keep on seeing things or work with someone if you do not agree...
See more
theoretically, it goes two ways: no contact is allowed if we do not agree first to be contacted, fact is that once we have agreed, anything would flow in.

So far, the only "good" thing of GDPR has been being flooded with GDPR mails by sites (also those I couldn't remember to have dealt with) or peers, causing a significant *waste* of my time. For, you know, you can't keep on seeing things or work with someone if you do not agree

And, figure, we have to comply, run a record of who has access to which data, secure & lock anything, define a DPO (in our case, ourselves) and being defined as such in case we deal with sensible data.

And... the last thing I heard was that "without mandate in place, we cannot provide any information regarding how to deal with GDPR"... and I had simply asked - after e-mail no. 1,000 on the subject, whether there is a sort of standard template to distribute in case... nothing more than that.

And.. there must be, as all communication shows a common backbone...

Let's see.
Collapse

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:27
Serbian to English
+ ...
Time for reality check .... May 26, 2018

If you have a profile on Proz, you have that as a commercial entity [the assumption is that you expect to be paid, no?] NOT as a private individual; those contacting you will 99% of time be also businesses, there will be very few private individuals needing a translation for personal use.

IOW, as far as Proz is concerned, we are talking of Business-to-Business transactions.

Let's not forget that "The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/6
... See more
If you have a profile on Proz, you have that as a commercial entity [the assumption is that you expect to be paid, no?] NOT as a private individual; those contacting you will 99% of time be also businesses, there will be very few private individuals needing a translation for personal use.

IOW, as far as Proz is concerned, we are talking of Business-to-Business transactions.

Let's not forget that "The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679 is a regulation in EU law on data protection and privacy for all individuals within the European Union. It addresses the export of personal data outside the EU. ..."

Individuals - NOT businesses!!!

If you advertise your services the assumption is that you want to be contacted - so it's a pretty grey area defining in advance what would be an "unwanted contact" - and even from the purely practical point of view if someone is to contact you at all the first time, asking for "previous consent" leads to a hopeless vicious circle / endless loop - how on Earth is anyone going to contact you the first time if in order to do so they need your permission that can only be obtained by contacting you the first time before contacting you the first time??? Try to start your car before you start your car ...

The information about ownership of domain names is kept in a public register [for a damn good reason - to stop miscreants being an anonymous nuisance!] - so trying to hide that information is about as justified as preventing the public from accessing any other public register. Imagine that for "reasons of privacy" you are not allowed to check the registers of authorised lawyers or qualified medical doctors, and any quack can pose as MD?

In reality, the vast majority of private/personal Internet users don't have a fixed IP registered to their own name - all you can get from an IP address as a regular Joe Public is the info about the ISP (Internet Service Provider) someone used to connect to the Web [usually hardly more than the location of the ISP's head office] - and in some cases even the ISP doesn't know whose computer is using them as gateway to the Web!

As for the "privacy" of business entities that would be a rather novel concept ...

IOW an IP address when queried by the general public is not in any shape or form a "personally identifiable information" and withholding on the ground of "privacy" IP addresses of what should be businesses is a rather overzealous (mis)interpretation.

[Edited at 2018-05-26 12:16 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Viewer ID in our visitors' tab

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »