Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:57
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Aug 27, 2020

I just got mail from SDL that SDL acquired RWS or that RWS acquired SDL -- it's not clear which. I suppose this would not affect Trados user any more than TransPerfect's acquisition of Wordfast affected Wordfast users (my experience as a Wordfast user was that nothing changed except for TransPerfect translators who got access to additional functionality).

expressisverbis
Elena Feriani

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 20:57
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I have got it too Aug 27, 2020

It seems a merger between both companies, SDL and RWS, and the operation will come into force only in the Q4 2020.
I suppose SDL will be sending more information on this announcement.

PS: Samuel, there are a few articles and news about this deal on the Web. You probably have found it too.

[Edited at 2020-08-27 13:00 GMT]

Valéry Ballais
Valéry Ballais
France
English to French
+ ...
SDL Vs RWS Aug 27, 2020

Hi,

Seems that SDL is to be acquired: "The SDL brand will disappear, and all SDL units rebranded as RWS over time." See https://slator.com/ma-and-funding/rws-to-buy-sdl-in-transformative-deal-for-the-language-industry/.

No much info for the moment. Let's hope we get more info soon, more specifically about the fut
... See more
Hi,

Seems that SDL is to be acquired: "The SDL brand will disappear, and all SDL units rebranded as RWS over time." See https://slator.com/ma-and-funding/rws-to-buy-sdl-in-transformative-deal-for-the-language-industry/.

No much info for the moment. Let's hope we get more info soon, more specifically about the future of SDL employees and how current SDL freelance translators will be eaten by RWS.

To be continued...
Valéry
Collapse

Elena Feriani

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
We will striving Aug 27, 2020

"We will striving to be the best language software and services company in the world." - I believe that the new merged company has already mastered the art of subtle irony.

Erik Freitag
Valéry Ballais
Christopher Schröder
Epameinondas Soufleros
Maurits Meulenbelt
Klara Tuckova
Dan Marasescu

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:57
English to Russian
Rubbish in, rubbish out Aug 27, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:
I suppose this would not affect Trados user

With 'will enabled' and 'will striving', what else may affect 'the best language software and services company in the world'...

Epameinondas Soufleros
Jorge Payan
Tania Kerrigan

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:57
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
What is RWS? Aug 28, 2020

Never heard.

Wolfgang Schoene

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Are you really interested in who RWS is? Aug 28, 2020

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
Never heard.

If you are, perhaps you should check on rws.com.
My main concern is if they work as well or better than SDL, or at least that Studio won't suffer as a result.

My main concern is that a CAT tool will be very closely linked to an interested party, namely a translation agency, which already is a problem with SDL. I suspect it won't be less when they become part of RWS.

RWS is also among other things a translation company, but is also big on patents.

I am concerned this doesn't bode well for Studio.

Jean Dimitriadis

Aline Amorim
Aline Amorim  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:57
English to Portuguese
+ ...
RWS Aug 28, 2020

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Never heard.

It is a leader company in translation and localization, intellectual property support solutions and life sciences language services based on Buckinghamshire.

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 16:57
Member (2011)
English to German
SDL Company Announcement 8/28/2020 Aug 28, 2020

I received this letter yesterday:

To our valued customers,

We are pleased to announce that today, RWS and SDL announced an intention to combine our two businesses.

The coming together of RWS and SDL makes a significant milestone for both companies, as this combination will enabled us to expand our geographical footprint across the UK, Europe, North America, South America and Asia. We will striving to be the best language software and services company in
... See more
I received this letter yesterday:

To our valued customers,

We are pleased to announce that today, RWS and SDL announced an intention to combine our two businesses.

The coming together of RWS and SDL makes a significant milestone for both companies, as this combination will enabled us to expand our geographical footprint across the UK, Europe, North America, South America and Asia. We will striving to be the best language software and services company in the world. This means a commitment to you, our customers, to deliver to you the best language technology and industry leading innovation.

You already know us for our strong language technology and our world-leading Trados brand and we remain committed to continue to offer our technology solutions, as we currently do today, to the large number of governments, corporations, translation agencies and freelance translators, who rely on our software to support their localization processes. The recently launched SDL Trados Live and SDL Trados Studio 2021 show the continued innovation to enable our customers to keep up with the increased demands put upon the localization industry.

We currently expect the transaction to complete in Q4 2020, subject to shareholder and other approvals. Whilst we are restricted in the additional information we can provide at this point, owing to regulatory rules in place, we will keep up our communication with you in the coming weeks and months. In the meantime, rest assured it’s very much business as usual and you can expect the same high level of service as you continue to work with the same people and teams across SDL.

Delivering the best experience, innovation and service to our customers is at the heart of this combination. Our commitment to you and our focus on your business remains our utmost priority during this exciting time.

For more information, please visit us at www.sdl.com/about/investor-relations

Very best wishes,
The SDL team
Collapse

Andrew Cavell
Andrew Cavell  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:57
Arabic to English
Sharp practice? Mar 11, 2021

I got a message from RWS back in October (and a reminder today) saying: "If you are still using Trados 2015 or earlier, unfortunately in order to be able to continue our collaboration, you will need to upgrade your Trados Studio version before 30th November 2020."

I'd say that is a damn cheek! I won't be blackmailed into paying out for Trados, particularly as I don't like the software or the company (Trados).

[Edited at 2021-03-12 08:55 GMT]

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
Sharp practice? Mar 11, 2021

Andrew C wrote:

I got a message from RWS back in October (and a reminder today) saying: "If you are still using Trados 2015 or earlier, unfortunately in order to be able to continue our collaboration, you will need to upgrade your Trados Studio version before 30th November 2020."

I'd say that is a damn cheek! I won't be blackmailed into paying out for Trados, particularly as I don't like the software or the company.

Money makes the world go round, the world go round ....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL acquires RWS (or: RWS acquires SDL)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »