Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:12
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Apr 30, 2017

Hello everyone

I edited a translation using the Bilingual Review feature, but now I can't import the edited version because some of the segments contain locked content. There is a little lock before and after the locked content within the segment, and next to the lock is a faux tag that shows the name of the client.

None of my edits are inside the locked content, but Trados refuses to import the edited version nonetheless.

How can I unlock the locked conte
... See more
Hello everyone

I edited a translation using the Bilingual Review feature, but now I can't import the edited version because some of the segments contain locked content. There is a little lock before and after the locked content within the segment, and next to the lock is a faux tag that shows the name of the client.

None of my edits are inside the locked content, but Trados refuses to import the edited version nonetheless.

How can I unlock the locked content temporarily or permanently, so that I can import the edited Bilingual Review file? There are many, many edits, and I don't have time to re-edit the SDLXLIFF file manually.

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:12
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Suggestion Apr 30, 2017

Would this be of any help?
https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/f/90/t/6114#pi6614=1

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What I did in the end Apr 30, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

I discovered that when I tried to edit those segments within Trados, Trados did not allow me to make any edits directly next to the locked text. For example, I tried to copy/paste some text directly against the locked text, but Trados refused to paste it. I had to paste it one character away from the locked text and then delete the character directly next to the locked text and insert it again before the pasted text.

I wonder if this wasn't the reason why Trados refused to import the Bilingual Review file. The actual error message said that the locked content was "corrupted". I wonder this, because In the edited version there were edits directly next to the locked content. Perhaps I would have been able to import the Bilingual Review file if I had ensured that the characters directly next to the locked content remained untouched.

Anyway, fortunately I had only a few such segments, so I "solved" the problem by locking those segments entirely and then re-doing the Bilingual Review thingy, and then manually editing those segments in the SDLXLIFF file afterwards.

[Edited at 2017-04-30 21:19 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Lianne Apr 30, 2017

Thanks, but no. The thread you link to is about locked segments, not locked content. Trados can have locked content inside non-locked segments (they have a little lock on either side), and that is what I'm talking about.

locked content
(changed the agency's name to "user" in this screenshot)

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:12
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks for explaining Apr 30, 2017

Hi Samuel, I have never seen this before, so thank you for taking the time to provide a screenshot. I am glad to hear you resolved this!

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not "resolved", just worked around it May 1, 2017

Lianne van de Ven wrote:
I am glad to hear you resolved this!

Well, I haven't actually resolved it. I just found a way to work around it. I was lucky today -- there were fewer than 10 segments with locked content. Now imagine a situation with hundreds...

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 12:12
German to English
+ ...
Solution! Jun 23, 2018

I have been having the same problem and have just figured out the solution. I know this is an older thread, but I'm posting it here in case it helps someone else.

1. Highlight the locked text.
2. On the Trados menu at the top, select the Advanced tab.
3. Go to Lock Segments and select the dropdown from it.
4. There is an option to Lock/Unlock Selection.
5. Click "Unlock Selection".
6. Et voila!...
See more
I have been having the same problem and have just figured out the solution. I know this is an older thread, but I'm posting it here in case it helps someone else.

6. Et voila!
Collapse

Anna Halechko
Mostafa Hussein
Infraword
Youssef Rafiq de Cándido
Roman Harsch
Mokhtar Nabaleh
CMJK

Alessandra Cazzola
Alessandra Cazzola  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2018)
English to Swedish
+ ...
…and in 2022 it DID help someone else – thanks Hilary! :-) Mar 23, 2022

Hilary Davies Shelby wrote:

6. Et voila!

Patrick Sutton
Renjith Sadanandan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2015: how to unlock locked content in a segment

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »