Catarina Lopes
Catarina Lopes  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:43
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My turn now with Studio 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Should have read this post before trying to solve the problem by creating a new project three times!

Thank you for the tip, Michael

Greetings,

Catarina

EFreund Ducatez
EFreund Ducatez
Local time: 22:43
English to German
+ ...
Same error. Problem solved. May 1, 2017

Thanks for your quick solution.

Conor Murphy
Conor Murphy  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Same thing in 2017 - update related May 5, 2017

I got this after only downloading some of the files for an update. Could be coincidence, but Luisa's post from Sept 2015 also mentions an update connection. I'm shutting it down as Michael suggested and restarting - (with full download of all update files).

Fingers crossed ...

Conor Murphy
Conor Murphy  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
2017 now functions after restarting and updating May 5, 2017

... .and it's up and running again.

Thanks Michael and Luisa.

Marine LORHO
Marine LORHO  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
2017 June: answer still valid! Jun 1, 2017

Thank you! I'm grateful that you posted an answer to your own question, because today it saved me much trouble!

Mariana_Rios
Mariana_Rios  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you so much! Jun 8, 2017

I tried creating a new project and after getting the same error I was freaking out. I just closed it and opened it again and it's fixed! Thank you.

Marta Maojo
Marta Maojo
Australia
Local time: 08:43
Spanish to English
An error occured while trying to determine the file type Dec 12, 2017

Problem diagnosed not solved. In response to Onur Ereren, I had the exact same problem. No solution exists because apparently my anti virus (activated the day before) saw the file type as a threat and tried to delete some of the thread. It is advised that you go to the settings of the anti virus and make an exception for all file extensions related with Trados. I have no other resort, start the project again and use the translation memory from that previous work. 4 hours of work down the tubes.... See more
Problem diagnosed not solved. In response to Onur Ereren, I had the exact same problem. No solution exists because apparently my anti virus (activated the day before) saw the file type as a threat and tried to delete some of the thread. It is advised that you go to the settings of the anti virus and make an exception for all file extensions related with Trados. I have no other resort, start the project again and use the translation memory from that previous work. 4 hours of work down the tubes. Anti virus updated. Trados were no help, this forum is a lifesaver if not a file saver in this case, so nice to know you are not alone when something crappy like that happens.Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:43
English to Spanish
From 2006 to 2015 Jan 29, 2018

As I see on the first page of this thread, this happened to me for the one and only time when I was using Trados 2006.

Today, I don't know how many years after, I had that error again. Fortunately, I found this thread. There was no way I could had remembered the solution: restart Trados.

My current project has 3 documents. I translated 2 of them, got up and left the office to run some errands. I left Trados opened. I returned, ready to translate the last document and,
... See more
As I see on the first page of this thread, this happened to me for the one and only time when I was using Trados 2006.

Today, I don't know how many years after, I had that error again. Fortunately, I found this thread. There was no way I could had remembered the solution: restart Trados.

My current project has 3 documents. I translated 2 of them, got up and left the office to run some errands. I left Trados opened. I returned, ready to translate the last document and, when I opened it, I got this error. I restarted Trados. Now it works but, please tell me, why does this happen?
Collapse

émilie-sava (X)
émilie-sava (X)
Canada
Local time: 17:43
English to French
+ ...
You saved me! Mar 9, 2018

Thank you so much for posting your solution! I was so scared I couldn't advance on my project at all this weekend (the agency I work with is located in Europe and everyone has now finished they business day). I would have never thought of such an easy solution haha. It worked perfectly on SDL Trados Studio 2017.

Have a great day!

Émilie

Joanna Waller
Joanna Waller
French to English
+ ...
Genius, me too!!! Apr 6, 2018

Thanks, I was dreading spending ages trying to fix this, or translating it off the page while knowing the TM is sitting there waiting to help!
Jo C

Edward Bradburn
Edward Bradburn
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Many thanks! Jun 26, 2018

Worked for me!

Jeff Chapman
Jeff Chapman  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:43
Japanese to English
+ ...
Same problem in Trados Studio 2019, same solution Oct 4, 2018

Thanks to this post, I was able to "solve" the problem like so many other people here. (Running Studio 2019 Freelance.) Amazing that SDL has not fixed this issue for several years.

Close Trados, restart the app, reopen the file... no error. Hmph!

Daniel Jeory
Daniel Jeory
Member (2003)
German to English
Thanks Oct 16, 2018

Yes, same with me just now with Studio 2015. Interestingly, only a few days ago I installed Studio 2019. However, I went back to using 2015 after finding 2019 a bit buggy. I'm just wondering if this is a similar situation to what other people have mentioned about updates causing this error.

Matheus Chaud
Matheus Chaud  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:43
English to Portuguese
+ ...

Trados 2019 Jan 7, 2019

I had the same problem in Trados 2019, but mine wasn't so simple - just closing and reopening didn't solve the issue.

This was after I formatted my notebook and installed Trados. I had problems with template location - I've changed folders after formatting.

In case someone has the same problem, go to File -> Setup -> Project templates and update the information there, so that all templates are in the correct folders (remove current templates and import the files with th
... See more
I had the same problem in Trados 2019, but mine wasn't so simple - just closing and reopening didn't solve the issue.

This was after I formatted my notebook and installed Trados. I had problems with template location - I've changed folders after formatting.

In case someone has the same problem, go to File -> Setup -> Project templates and update the information there, so that all templates are in the correct folders (remove current templates and import the files with the correct location).

[Edited at 2019-01-07 17:06 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error occurred while trying to determine the file version

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »