Thread poster: Kimberly Mitchell (X)
Kimberly Mitchell (X)
Kimberly Mitchell (X)
United States
Local time: 06:50
Italian to English
+ ...
Dec 2, 2020

I received a contract for a freelance project based position. The contract is asking for my passport number. I'm in the US and they are in Europe. Is that normal?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:50
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Kimberly Dec 2, 2020

Kimberly Mitchell wrote:
I received a contract for a freelance project based position. The contract is asking for my passport number. I'm in the US and they are in Europe. Is that normal?

I don't think it is, no. What you can offer is to send a copy of your passport, but with the numbers redacted (crossed out), so that they can see your name and your photo.

Yolanda Broad

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Probably not a scam, but... Dec 2, 2020

Using passport numbers for identification purposes is common in many states of the former Soviet Union, where national IDs are called "passports" (and issued in the form of booklets rather than cards). They may be distinct from passports for international travel (e.g. in Russia and Ukraine) or serve both purposes (e.g. in Belarus). For example, in Russia, a contract involving a physical person would normally specify the party's full name, residence address, passport number, issue date and issuin... See more
Using passport numbers for identification purposes is common in many states of the former Soviet Union, where national IDs are called "passports" (and issued in the form of booklets rather than cards). They may be distinct from passports for international travel (e.g. in Russia and Ukraine) or serve both purposes (e.g. in Belarus). For example, in Russia, a contract involving a physical person would normally specify the party's full name, residence address, passport number, issue date and issuing authority.

On the other hand, your concerns are fully legitimate, so you can just state "not applicable" in that field, and if they insist on getting it, explain that it's a matter of privacy and that passport numbers are not used for that purpose in the U.S. anyway. Alternatively, you can tell them you don't have a passport and aren't obligated to have one, either.

[Edited at 2020-12-02 22:43 GMT]
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Liviu-Lee Roth
Kay Denney

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:50
English to Arabic
+ ...
I could swear I've seen this question dozens of times around here! Dec 2, 2020

If the organization is legit (and you checked), they sent you a fair contract, and the pay is high (not just good), then what's the fear about?

Am I missing something on this front?

Will they be posing as you for financial transactions? I think with CCTV, face-recognition, body-identifiables, etc., it would be insane for them to try.

Will they be posing as you for dirty ops? Again, all the above points, in addition to the fact that the dirty ops people CONT
... See more
If the organization is legit (and you checked), they sent you a fair contract, and the pay is high (not just good), then what's the fear about?

Am I missing something on this front?

Will they be posing as you for financial transactions? I think with CCTV, face-recognition, body-identifiables, etc., it would be insane for them to try.

Will they be posing as you for dirty ops? Again, all the above points, in addition to the fact that the dirty ops people CONTROL the global passport systems, they don't need a number or a copy from you. And, your daily transactions where you live confirm that it wasn't you; that's why they choose dead people, don't you watch movies?

The smart move is that you ask them for a copy of their license or registration with the authorities, so you can check with the registrar or any corresponding authority.

Have them contact you only through their organization's official domain-based email, and keep records of the organizations that got your identification document (whatever it is; passport, national ID, DL, etc.).

This way if someone approaches you saying they received your ID in a scam, you will be able to point fingers.
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:50
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I always thought Dec 3, 2020

Kimberly Mitchell wrote:

Your passport number is of no much use to identity thiefs. This is true at least here in the US.

[Edited at 2020-12-03 02:06 GMT]

Jessica Noyes

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:50
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Is it really confidential? Dec 3, 2020

Your passport number is not as sensitive as your social security number, and your potential client's asking for your passport number does not indicate or imply that he is a scammer.

[Edited at 2020-12-03 02:16 GMT]

Jessica Noyes

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:50
German to English
Only the passport number? Dec 3, 2020

Kimberly Mitchell wrote: I received a contract for a freelance project based position. The contract is asking for my passport number. I'm in the US and they are in Europe. Is that normal?

Not the photo page, just the number? That is certainly very unusual, in fact it's the first time I've heard of it in 30+ years. Where exactly is the agency? It may be legitimate to ask you to prove your identity, as long as you're comfortable with this particular client, but you really need to be very careful. For example, please don't ever provide your SSN. You can get an EIN from the IRS for free, and that's valid as an international TIN.

Please feel free to DM me if you would like more advance.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Not the passport number Dec 3, 2020

They might be entitled to a copy of your passport, but they can't legally demand to send you your passport number. In the rare cases when I was asked to submit a copy of my ID, I had always blackened out the number. They don't need this number in order to verify your identity. They would only need it for some dubious actions. Should they insist on your passport number, you should walk on.

Paweł Hamerski
Paweł Hamerski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
in Poland it is customary to give such biodata in the contract, Dec 3, 2020

to identify yourself

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:50
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Kimberley Dec 3, 2020

I haven’t been asked often for proof of identity except when translating for UN agencies. With all those CV thieves we hear about all the time I wouldn't mind if my clients asked for it.

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 08:50
English to Russian
+ ...
They have no reason to have it, period Dec 3, 2020

This number may not be used for tax purposes in foreign countries. EU does not exchange tax information with IRS anyway. There are no other imaginable reasons.

This is a clear infringement on your privacy and personal freedom. You can not be required to enter your passport # into any unsecured platforms. I sent my passport copies to the US clients via heavily armored links only. Do they guarantee data security in writing?

Some agencies do government / defense work but
... See more
This number may not be used for tax purposes in foreign countries. EU does not exchange tax information with IRS anyway. There are no other imaginable reasons.

This is a clear infringement on your privacy and personal freedom. You can not be required to enter your passport # into any unsecured platforms. I sent my passport copies to the US clients via heavily armored links only. Do they guarantee data security in writing?

Some agencies do government / defense work but this should be your government who must require your full passport copy from the agency, not an overseas enterprise, and the process is so clear and justified that there is no need to ask any questions on public sites.

Whatever is applied within EU or former USSR/Eastern block is none of your concern. Just tell them that you live in parallel world:-)

[Edited at 2020-12-03 13:51 GMT]
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Angie Garbarino

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:50
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Your passport Dec 3, 2020

Kimberly Mitchell wrote:

Your passport does not belong to you. It belongs to the country that issued it. Therefore you are not at liberty to provide any details of it to a third party.

IrinaN
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Tina Vonhof (X)
Yvonne Gallagher
Angie Garbarino

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
This just in … Dec 4, 2020

We’re getting some breaking news concerning an incident at a London branch of NatWest this morning. A man, who would only say he was “resident in the capital”, had been asked for his passport as proof of identity because he was not carrying a driving licence or any other form of ID. He remarked that he was “under no obligation to have a driving licence anyway”, that “fortunately this country does not have any official ID card”, and that “nobody walks around with their passport on... See more
We’re getting some breaking news concerning an incident at a London branch of NatWest this morning. A man, who would only say he was “resident in the capital”, had been asked for his passport as proof of identity because he was not carrying a driving licence or any other form of ID. He remarked that he was “under no obligation to have a driving licence anyway”, that “fortunately this country does not have any official ID card”, and that “nobody walks around with their passport on them, do they, for heaven’s sake?”

He went on to say that his passport was “not my property in any case”, and further that he could “hardly be expected to hand over an official document which does not belong to me, especially since it belongs to a government, and more specifically to the Minister of Foreign Affairs.” The bank employee asked him to wait, telling him he would be back “momentarily”, whereupon the man began to remonstrate loudly with the employee in relation to his “quasi-criminal misuse of the English language”. He then added “… and don’t even think of getting me started on intracommunity VAT”, even though this subject had not actually been broached.
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Jean Dimitriadis
Yvonne Gallagher

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Asking for Passport #

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »