Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >
Research project on Agricultural reforms in EU translation scam - Marie Stephens
Thread poster: Lauriane Duran-Pauleau
Sim Ngezahayo
Sim Ngezahayo
Canada
Local time: 05:33
English to French
Heather Carlson Scam Oct 15, 2020

I received the same document from the so-called Heather Carlson ([email protected]) to be translated to French.

She sent me a 50% down payment check from Eastern Health, NL through Purolator and was asking me to return some amount because she sent too much.

Everything looked legit until I asked her for her full address. She then didn’t get back to me, and I decided to contact Eastern Health and they said they don’t know such a person in their organ
... See more
I received the same document from the so-called Heather Carlson ([email protected]) to be translated to French.

She sent me a 50% down payment check from Eastern Health, NL through Purolator and was asking me to return some amount because she sent too much.

Everything looked legit until I asked her for her full address. She then didn’t get back to me, and I decided to contact Eastern Health and they said they don’t know such a person in their organization. I think she felt exposed and opted out but I have known this too late because she somehow played with my mind!
Collapse

Claude Forand
Claude Forand
Canada
Local time: 06:33
English to French
Also scammed by "HEATHER CARLSON" Oct 30, 2020

Hi - I have also been scammed by the so called Heather Carlson for the Agricultural project translation. They sent way too much money, and requested an immediate refund through e-transfer. I refused. Two days later, the cheque bounced with the mention "Counterfeit item".

AngelaYin (X)
AngelaYin (X)
Canada
Local time: 03:33
Now the scammer is Gabriel or Jean Pierre — [email protected] Oct 31, 2020

The scammer now changed the name to Gabriel Jean Pierre , email address : [email protected].
Same old scam.

Lars Foldager
Lars Foldager  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2018)
English to Danish
+ ...
Name changed again, same method Nov 13, 2020

It has now changed to Kayleigh Wu
[email protected]
Offer to pay half, but I see here how the scam works
Stay safe my friends

Tereza Rae
MKF

Tereza Rae
Tereza Rae  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2019)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Scam from Kayleigh Wu Nov 15, 2020

This is my first time posting here, so I'm not quite sure if I'm doing it right.
I would like to reply to Lars Foldager's post. On November 12th, he wrote:

"*Name changed again, same method*

[email protected]
Stay safe my friends"

I received an email today from this same person, Kay
... See more
This is my first time posting here, so I'm not quite sure if I'm doing it right.
I would like to reply to Lars Foldager's post. On November 12th, he wrote:

"*Name changed again, same method*

[email protected]
Stay safe my friends"

I received an email today from this same person, Kayleigh Wu, same email address as above. She sent me an article entitled "Research project on Agricultural reforms in EU" with 15,554 words. She agreed to my price and gave me 4 weeks. She said I will receive a certified cheque for 1/2 the amount by Tuesday and the remainder on completion. I thought t was too fishy...
Stay alert, everyone!
Collapse

Novita Hamilton
Novita Hamilton  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:33
Member (2018)
English to Indonesian
Received the same scam under Tommy (Tom) Lee <[email protected]> Dec 8, 2020

I have just received the same job request from Tommy (Tom) Lee . Please beware.

[Edited at 2020-12-08 23:16 GMT]

Alexander Akel
MKF

Alexander Akel
Alexander Akel  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:33
English to French
+ ...
Tommy Lee - [email protected] Dec 9, 2020

Author's IP address: 97.101.231.165

"Hi,

Are you available to translate a document project from
English to French? Let me know so that i can send you the
document to get your quotation.

Sincerely,
Tommy Lee.
"

MKF

MKF
MKF  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Japanese
+ ...
Tom Lee Dec 9, 2020

Novita Hamilton wrote:

I have just received the same job request from Tommy (Tom) Lee . Please beware.

[Edited at 2020-12-08 23:16 GMT]

I got the same for English to Japanese translation.
I'm a pessimist by nature and I guess this time saved me from the scammer!
Be safe my fellow translators!

Gustav Fagerström
Gustav Fagerström
United States
English to Swedish
+ ...
Tommy Lee - [email protected] Dec 18, 2020

Same, just now from Tom Lee for translating from English to Swedish. Deleted. Sad cause I'm actually very interested in this topic..

Not that I would, but I will never understand though why it is such a big deal to give someone your "bank details" (I presume this means routing (US) or SWIFT (EU) plus account number). These "details" are on every check you write and on every invoice you send out and are not enough for anyone to withdraw or move money on your behalf...? Am I missing s
... See more
Same, just now from Tom Lee for translating from English to Swedish. Deleted. Sad cause I'm actually very interested in this topic..

Not that I would, but I will never understand though why it is such a big deal to give someone your "bank details" (I presume this means routing (US) or SWIFT (EU) plus account number). These "details" are on every check you write and on every invoice you send out and are not enough for anyone to withdraw or move money on your behalf...? Am I missing something?
Collapse

Eva Siskowski Boatwright
Eva Siskowski Boatwright
United States
Member (2022)
French to English
Etude agricole scam still circulating Feb 24, 2021

I received an email, now under the name of Mariam Johnathan, with the exact same paper already sampled here in other posts on an agricultural study, and the same interactions and quick acceptance/payment terms. Watch out for [email protected].

Sample from text again:

"Étude agricole pour étudiant en Europe
Qu’elles émanent du secteur public ou privé, les réponses actuelles ne parvienn
... See more
I received an email, now under the name of Mariam Johnathan, with the exact same paper already sampled here in other posts on an agricultural study, and the same interactions and quick acceptance/payment terms. Watch out for [email protected].

Sample from text again:

"Étude agricole pour étudiant en Europe
Qu’elles émanent du secteur public ou privé, les réponses actuelles ne parviennent pas à relever de manière adéquate les grands défis interconnectés des systèmes alimentaires. Ces lacunes sont le reflet de profonds problèmes dans la gouvernance des systèmes alimentaires européens."
Collapse

Jeniffer Doxsey
Jeniffer Doxsey
United States
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Scam Feb 27, 2021

I was a victim her name was julia Sérgio and I lost almost 5,000. I was to ashamed to go to the police but I am enriched the case to prosecute and i hold there no one will be a victim of this person she still tormented me. But I will find this person and she will be accountable

Hugues Roumier
Hugues Roumier
France
Local time: 11:33
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
Be aware of "Steven Milton" Jun 19, 2021

Hi there,

Please note that [email protected], "Steven milton" is using the same scam (agricultural translation project):

Your price seems relatively low when compared to other translators and I really do appreciate that.
Your total of 1480 USD. looks very good with your delivery time. To make this easier for both parties, you will receive a 50% deposit upfront to start and the balance upon comple
... See more
Hi there,

Please note that [email protected], "Steven milton" is using the same scam (agricultural translation project):

Your price seems relatively low when compared to other translators and I really do appreciate that.
Your total of 1480 USD. looks very good with your delivery time. To make this easier for both parties, you will receive a 50% deposit upfront to start and the balance upon completion of the project. If this works for you, kindly get back to me with the details below so that the payment can be facilitated via wire transfer / or by check as soon as possible.

For wire transfer / direct deposit
Bank name
Bank address
Name of beneficiary
Account number
Iban
Bic
Phone number

For Check
Your full name as it should appear on the check
Address:
Phone number:

Best regards
Collapse

Jean Eric

Kristijan Grdan
Kristijan Grdan
Germany
English to Croatian
+ ...
Farmer's Handbook on Pig Production Jun 21, 2021

There is a similar scammer that I fell for asking for English-Croatian translation of Farmer's Handbook on Pig Production.
Name is Mura Xavi, email is: [email protected]

Sandra dowling
Sandra dowling
United States
Local time: 05:33
French to English
+ ...
FR>EN mary nelson scam Jul 6, 2021

Got an email from Mary Nelson ([email protected])

"Hello,
I would like to know if you are available to
translate a
document from French to English?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you."

No signature. I asked some follow up q's and she replies that she is "also a freelance translator" and she "works with difference [sic] companies and schools." She was super vague as to what the document will be used for saying it will be used b
... See more
Got an email from Mary Nelson ([email protected])

"Hello,
I would like to know if you are available to
translate a
document from French to English?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you."

No signature. I asked some follow up q's and she replies that she is "also a freelance translator" and she "works with difference [sic] companies and schools." She was super vague as to what the document will be used for saying it will be used by "University students and not to be published" and then she lists her number (657 area code) and address (Largo Florida).

In one email she attached the file to be translated and the file name was just "French doc" which was a red flag to me, also the non-professional email address. The doc was called "Étude agricole pour étudiant en Europe".

Hope this helps others!
Collapse

Ewelina Mickiewicz-Szram
Ewelina Mickiewicz-Szram  Identity Verified
United States
English to Polish
+ ...
scammer's new name - Miriam Ortize/[email protected] Nov 24, 2021

I was sent the same "Agricultural Restructuring in EU" document to translate into Polish. The new name of the scammer is Miriam Ortize / [email protected] / IP address: 37.19.198.7. She emailed me the document, asked for my check and bank info, didn't address my questions, and gave me a suspicious address in LA, California.

Be careful!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Research project on Agricultural reforms in EU translation scam - Marie Stephens

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »