Scam: Public Organization Procedures Research Phase 1 and 2
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Xiaoju (AJ) Zhang
Xiaoju (AJ) Zhang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:38
English to Chinese
+ ...
I got the exactly same email today. I should've followed my gut and checked the forum! Jan 13, 2021

Pujing Pan wrote:

Hi All,

I am probably the most recent victim (well not quite a victim since I have not lost anything yet). Just received 'Linda's' response:

Thanks so much for your response,...I agreed with your price quote and i am willing to pay for your service..This project is a research paper being sponsor for a seminar coming up soon, so I would like to make an advance payment or make the full payment so that you will know you have my job with you in the meantime. Once again the Payment option is Bank Draft , The payment will be received first and cleared by your bank before you send the document ..Kindly get back to me with the following payment information in the format below.

1. Full Name to be written on the Check

2. Full Physical Address:

3. Mobile Number

Your payment will be prepared once I have the requested details. Once again payment will be received and cleared by your bank before you send the document.

What I don't understand is with the seemly non-critical info of mine, what damage could they possibly do to me?

thanks to all,
Pujing

greentree333
greentree333
United States
Local time: 20:38
Chinese to English
+ ...
Same guy but I refused to translate for him. Jan 14, 2021

Ana Raffo wrote:

Natalie wrote:

yugoslavia wrote:
Can you please tell me if you have the IP Address of the scammer?
I posted the IP Address in this forum. Is he located in North Carolina or Tennessee?

IPs used by scammers are spoofed and have nothing to do with the real location. Forum users are asked to provide IPs only with the purpose of blocking them (which makes the scammers' life a bit more difficult but does not prevent them from changing their IP and continue scamming users).

You need to learn main things about scams in order to be able to discern scammers from genuine outsourcers.

Hi there,

Replying to "yugoslavia," here is the name and address and telephone number of the guy as it appeared on his e-mails. No idea about his IP address:

Nicolai Røysland
4704 Burton Avenue
Memphis, TN 38104
Phone Number: ‪(423) 788-6032‬

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:38
German to English
+ ...
my turn Jan 15, 2021

The e-mail was immediately suspicious because the person wrote as a lay person, with a message:

"Hello please, I have a document to translate from French to English. Let me know if you're interested and available to handle it."

Lay people don't write that way. I won't describe how they do write, in order to not give scammers tips. I asked them to send the document, and it was the one mentioned here, along with the desire to pay by cashier's cheque. I told them it wa
... See more
The e-mail was immediately suspicious because the person wrote as a lay person, with a message:

"Hello please, I have a document to translate from French to English. Let me know if you're interested and available to handle it."

Lay people don't write that way. I won't describe how they do write, in order to not give scammers tips. I asked them to send the document, and it was the one mentioned here, along with the desire to pay by cashier's cheque. I told them it was a scam and not to contact me again.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Debbie Fung-A-Wing
Debbie Fung-A-Wing
United States
English to Dutch
+ ...
went silent when I asked for background info Jan 15, 2021

Mine was for English into Dutch. Got suspicious when he accepted my rate without any objections. He was going to pay by check but why did he need my bank name?
Haven't heard a thing since I asked for his background info...
Glad I checked here! Thanks all for reporting.

[Edited at 2021-01-15 21:53 GMT]

Adam Dickinson
Adam Dickinson  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2016)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same here Jan 21, 2021

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

Lay people don't write that way. I won't describe how they do write, in order to not give scammers tips.

Well, we can conclude that this scammer, at least, doesn't read these forums. I just received an email with the same wording that followed directly into this scam with a request for payment via certified cheque.

The scammer now appears to be using the name Mica Kang.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Remote scammers aren't bothered by discovery Jan 22, 2021

Adam Dickinson wrote:

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

Lay people don't write that way. I won't describe how they do write, in order to not give scammers tips.

Well, we can conclude that this scammer, at least, doesn't read these forums. I just received an email with the same wording that followed directly into this scam with a request for payment via certified cheque.

Even well-known scripts are used widely, notoriery just means they need to spam/call more people to get one to bite.

Remember that, in much of the world, small time scams on rich country foreign individuals abroad are either treated as lowest priority ever, essentially decriminalized entirely, or even NEVER ACTUALLY WERE IN THE CRIMINAL CODE TO BEGIN WITH.

They don't fear discovery. They aren't even annoyed by it.

Liviu-Lee Roth

Arnold Winter
Arnold Winter  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
Confirming that the scam is now also using the name "Mica Kang." Jan 26, 2021

Adam Dickinson wrote:

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

Yes, I received this scam from "Mica Kang" just yesterday. It involved the same document referred to in the title of this thread, but asking for a translation from German to English.

Unfortunately I didn't realize it was a scam until after I had asked for more information about the job and received a reply, attached to which was a German file named "ÖFFENTLICHE ORGANISATIONSABLÄUFE FORSCHUNGSPHASE 1." The wording of the reply was basically identical to what's already been quoted by others on this thread.

Elizabeth Chivers

nayefj
nayefj
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
Terry Brown Feb 2, 2021

Got the same thing from a "Terry Brown" whose email is [email protected]:

Hello, I am contacting you for my document translation from
English to Arabic formal version and I would like to know if
you are available to get it done for me? Get back to me for further details.
Thanks

Plus it's the same Public Organization Procedures Research Phase 1.

[Edited at 2021-
... See more

Thanks

[Edited at 2021-02-02 22:06 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-02-03 02:47 GMT]
Collapse

nayefj
nayefj
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
new title of supposed translation project Feb 5, 2021

nayefj wrote:

Thanks

[Edited at 2021-02-02 22:06 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-02-03 02:47 GMT]

Forgot to mention that the title of the document this time is:

RESEARCH PROCEDURES OF COMMUNITY STUDENTS PHASE 1

So they only changed the first couple of words.

Elizabeth Chivers
Elizabeth Chivers
United States
Member (2019)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Received same email from Mica Kang Feb 10, 2021

She found me through the Chilean Translators and Interpreters Association website. I was suspicious right from her first email because of the gmail account and broken English, but I responded just in case. Then, she sent me the same exact document everyone else has received, and which I have since found is easily downloaded online. I quoted her mostly out of habit and a bit of curiosity, but I had a bad feeling from the start. Thankfully, a colleague in COTICH sent out an email to the entire gro... See more
She found me through the Chilean Translators and Interpreters Association website. I was suspicious right from her first email because of the gmail account and broken English, but I responded just in case. Then, she sent me the same exact document everyone else has received, and which I have since found is easily downloaded online. I quoted her mostly out of habit and a bit of curiosity, but I had a bad feeling from the start. Thankfully, a colleague in COTICH sent out an email to the entire group, and it appears that almost everyone in our association has been contacted by Mica Kang.

I guess I'm a bit shocked they have successfully used the exact same responses so many times. Here is what she wrote to me:

Thank you for getting back, I quite agree with your price quote and I am willing to pay for your service. This project is a research paper being sponsored for a seminar coming up soon, so I would like to make an advance payment or make the full payment so you know you have my job with you. Unfortunately the Check payment is within the USA. I will appreciate it if you have a relative or partner around the state to receive and deposit the check on your behalf and once the funds are available he or she will send it to you. If you have anyone to get, do get back to me with the following payment information in the format below.

1. Full Name to be written on the Check
2. Full Physical Address:
3. Mobile number

Your payment will be prepared once I have the requested details. Payment will be received before you send the document. Get back to me asap and you can send text or whatsapp to me here 615 212-9763 (Please only Text) when you send the details.

This is the first time I have ever had something like this happen through the Chilean directory.
Collapse

SILVIE CAREY

Benjamin Bates
Benjamin Bates
United States
Local time: 05:38
Spanish to English
same scam, 1,643 words and 44 Pages Feb 14, 2021

received a check today from Linda Calderon for 11 times the amount we aggreed on. the check was urgent-shipped from UPS. most definitely a scam. the fist paragraph of content I was asked to translate is as follows:

For any organization to be effective and efficient in achieving its goals, the people in the organization need to have a shared vision of what they are striving to achieve, as well as clear objectives for each team / department and individual. You also need ways of recogn
... See more
received a check today from Linda Calderon for 11 times the amount we aggreed on. the check was urgent-shipped from UPS. most definitely a scam. the fist paragraph of content I was asked to translate is as follows:

For any organization to be effective and efficient in achieving its goals, the people in the organization need to have a shared vision of what they are striving to achieve, as well as clear objectives for each team / department and individual. You also need ways of recognizing and resolving conflict amongst people, so that conflict does not become so serious that co-operation is impossible. All members of any organization need to have ways of keeping conflict to a minimum - and of solving problems caused by conflict, before conflict becomes a major obstacle to your work. This could happen to any organization, whether it is an NGO, a CBO, a political party, a business or a government.
Collapse

SILVIE CAREY

Rosa Paredes
Rosa Paredes  Identity Verified
Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same scam for EN>ES translation. Feb 17, 2021

I received this message today:

Hello,
I'm a freelance Researcher and I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 19/02/2021. Finally, what would be your preferred mode of payment? Though I'm proposing a certified
... See more
I received this message today:

Hello,
I'm a freelance Researcher and I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 19/02/2021. Finally, what would be your preferred mode of payment? Though I'm proposing a certified bank draft, a cashier's check or bank certified check. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon.
Best Regards,

Robert Rose
Collapse

bvogt

Maria Thomas
Maria Thomas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:38
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
Same scam for FR>ENG translation Apr 14, 2021

I got the same email from one "Debra White" ([email protected]) today. Her initial email read: "Greetings,I have a French content document. I need this document translated to English. I would like to know if you are interested please get back to me asap." When I followed up, she sent me the French version of the doc ("PROCÉDURES DE GESTION DES CONFLITS DANS UNE ORGANISATION PUBLIQUE – PHASE 1 DE RECHERCHE") and wanted to pay via "certified bank draft, cashier's check a bank certified ch... See more
I got the same email from one "Debra White" ([email protected]) today. Her initial email read: "Greetings,I have a French content document. I need this document translated to English. I would like to know if you are interested please get back to me asap." When I followed up, she sent me the French version of the doc ("PROCÉDURES DE GESTION DES CONFLITS DANS UNE ORGANISATION PUBLIQUE – PHASE 1 DE RECHERCHE") and wanted to pay via "certified bank draft, cashier's check a bank certified check or money order." Red flags everywhere! Thanks to everyone else who posted about this scam before me!Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

JennA1808
JennA1808
Canada
Scam EN>FR Apr 14, 2021

Like many of you, I just realized that the project I accepted was in fact a scam

I received this request directly from my professional order's website (OTTIAQ). I'm a new member, so not really familiar with the whole process.

I found the emails I got (identical to the ones everyone have been posting) a bit odd, but gave the person the benefit of the doubt. BIG MISTAKE. I will trust my gut next time. Pleas
... See more
Like many of you, I just realized that the project I accepted was in fact a scam

I received this request directly from my professional order's website (OTTIAQ). I'm a new member, so not really familiar with the whole process.

I found the emails I got (identical to the ones everyone have been posting) a bit odd, but gave the person the benefit of the doubt. BIG MISTAKE. I will trust my gut next time. Please don't judge!

From what I understand the scam is about the checks they will send you. I haven't received anything yet, but was wondering what I should be going from now on?

- Do I simply never send back the translation and not respond to the person.
- Obvisouly not cash the check...

The Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre has been advised, but I was just looking for some advice from people who have been in the same situation.

FYI I got the request from:

Katherine Kotacska
[email protected]
778 403-2590
Document Title: LUKSO Organization Creative Research Phase 1

Emails looked like this:

Thank you for your response, I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month and a week starting from 12/April/2021. Finally, I'm proposing a bank draft check or bank certified check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon.
Collapse

Elodi
Elodi
Canada
English to French
This also happened to me today. Apr 20, 2021

The same Katherine Kotacska sent me an email offering me a translation. I replied that I didn’t have time. I always refuse translations from a Gmail account. I am also a new member of Ottiaq, but I have been working as a translator for 13 years now and had similar experiences when I was a member of ATIO. I received several strange emails with the Gmail address. The scammers will look for our name in the directory of any translator association. You did the right thing by reporting this email to... See more
The same Katherine Kotacska sent me an email offering me a translation. I replied that I didn’t have time. I always refuse translations from a Gmail account. I am also a new member of Ottiaq, but I have been working as a translator for 13 years now and had similar experiences when I was a member of ATIO. I received several strange emails with the Gmail address. The scammers will look for our name in the directory of any translator association. You did the right thing by reporting this email to the police. Each time I type the name into Google along with the email address and I came across this thread. Thank you for posting your message. Also, this person does exist in real life, she is a translator as well according to Linkedin, but in my opinion, she is not the real person who contacted us. It’s someone who used her name. Never send money and keep your translation. I think you should contact OTTIAQ to obtain advice.

[Edited at 2021-04-20 04:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-04-20 04:43 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam: Public Organization Procedures Research Phase 1 and 2

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »