Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
New choices in membership, and the largest ProZ.com campaign to date: "The Open Road"
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:52
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
How are the winners selected? Nov 7, 2016

Hi Jared,

Would you take a minute or 2 to explain how the winners have been selected?

The reason why I'm asking this is that during my membership renewal process, a sentence that says something like "Make sure you enter into the pool for the prize" came up but I wasn't given any chance to do anything to "make sure" of it. And I was not given any code/number to prove my entry into that pool after I made the payment either. Therefore I don't know if I have been entered in
... See more
Hi Jared,

Would you take a minute or 2 to explain how the winners have been selected?

The reason why I'm asking this is that during my membership renewal process, a sentence that says something like "Make sure you enter into the pool for the prize" came up but I wasn't given any chance to do anything to "make sure" of it. And I was not given any code/number to prove my entry into that pool after I made the payment either. Therefore I don't know if I have been entered into the pool of candidates for the prize or not.

Can you clarify?

Also, did you "draw" the winners from the name slips you put in a container like what they do in raffle drawing? If not, how have the winners been picked?
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:52
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Will Certified Pro status be available to both new membership levels? Nov 7, 2016

Will the new membership levels result in any change in how the Red P works?

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 20:52
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
A few answers to some of the questions asked here so far Nov 7, 2016

Hi all,

A few answers to some of the questions asked here so far. I am skipping, for the time being, questions which are already explicitly addressed in the FAQ section on the membership page, and I'll see about adding these as well:

If I choose the Plus package, can I opt out of using TM-Town, or any of the other extra tools and services?

Yes. You are under no obligation
... See more
Hi all,

A few answers to some of the questions asked here so far. I am skipping, for the time being, questions which are already explicitly addressed in the FAQ section on the membership page, and I'll see about adding these as well:

If I choose the Plus package, can I opt out of using TM-Town, or any of the other extra tools and services?

Yes. You are under no obligation to use any of the services and tools included in the Plus package, or in your basket of goods and services. They are there for you to pick and choose from, based on your own needs.

What happens to my current membership when I upgrade to the Plus package?

If you already have Standard membership, you are eligible for an additional discount on your purchase of the Plus package, effectively converting your remaining membership into Plus (a similar process for upgrading from a partial membership to full has already been used for years). The discount will vary depending on the length of your remaining current membership, and you may have additional discounts, for example if you have 4,000 or more browniz points. To see exactly what the discount would be, just click on the "Pre-register now" button for the Plus package on the membership page. The first screen you will be shown displays the discounts (if applicable), when payment would be applied, when your new renewal date would be, etc. You are under no obligation to proceed with pre-registration once on that page.

Can browniz points be used for a discount?

Those who have 4,000 browniz points or more will receive an additional 10 USD discount in checkout off the already discounted price of whichever of the packages they choose. This discount is available until November 15th. At the moment there are no plans to offer that discount beyond November 15th.

If I have the Plus package and choose to switch to the Standard package, how much will I be paying per year?

After this membership campaign, the Standard package will be 120 USD per year, for everyone.

I don't want to use an automatic subscription, what can I do?

"Manual" renewal is still an option. In the payment methods section of the checkout, select "Other payment methods" to purchase or renew without using a subscription.

How are winners in the prize giveaways selected, and how can I be sure I am participating?

Winners are selected at random from the pool of all eligible participants. If you have purchased or renewed ProZ.com professional membership since the beginning of the sweepstakes (September 30th), or have sent in a postcard as described in the terms and conditions, and you meet the eligibility criteria (for example, you have a complete profile), you are already participating. Click on the link "See all details, restrictions, and alternate ways to enter" on the membership page to see the official rules and conditions.
Collapse

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:52
French to English
+ ...
More expensive to manually renew? Nov 8, 2016

Jared Tabor wrote:

I don't want to use an automatic subscription, what can I do?

"Manual" renewal is still an option. In the payment methods section of the checkout, select "Other payment methods" to purchase or renew without using a subscription.

Is that correct? You are charging people more if they don't take out an automatic subscription?

As for automatic subscriptions being common practice - that is true, they are common practice for shady, unscrupulous companies. I wouldn't expect it from Proz.

Sorry to join in with the mob of unsatisfied old-timers but I have never been able to trust any company whose default option is: keep paying forever unless you remember to unsubscribe in time. It's certainly the first time I've ever considered paying for a service where the "manual renewal" option is so deeply buried away in the fine print.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes, it would appear so Nov 8, 2016

Georgie Scott wrote:
Jared Tabor wrote:

Is that correct? You are charging people more if they don't take out an automatic subscription?

Yes, in my case it would be $10 more expensive to use manual subscription. So essentially ProZ.com is giving people a $10 discount as an incentive to purchase automatic subscription instead of manual.

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
open question Nov 8, 2016

A few answers to some of the questions asked here so far. I am skipping, for the time being, questions which are already explicitly addressed in the FAQ section on the membership page

I have asked:

"we can say that membership in one of the "external channels" alone, TM-Town, costs $144 and is included in the Plus package."
http://www.proz.com/professional-membership
What are the other "external channels"?

This was not answered here, and unfortunately there are no specific details in FAQ. There is only the following:

I'm considering the Plus package and I am evaluating the extras. Please explain what is meant by "new client channels external to ProZ.com"?
The internet is going the way of the cloud, and in principle cloud technology presents the opportunity for the ProZ.com team to take steps to promote the services of ProZ.com members beyond the confines of ProZ.com. Imagine an LSP or client using, say, a mobile app to access you directly for translation or interpreting services, without ever needing to go to ProZ.com. Cloud technology makes that possible, and we have been taking steps in that direction.

and

How far along is the effort to establish that sort of "new client channel"?
Efforts are in the early stages, and in any event, it takes time for habits to change. But we believe this is the future. What we have seen so far is that client activity at TM-Town is increasing, and separately, there are a few agencies already using ProZ.com cloud services to discover the services of ProZ.com members from within their own management systems. (Some of you reading this have been contacted.) We are also in discussions to establish partnerships to promote the translation and interpreting services of ProZ.com members.

I'm afraid this sounds somewhat vague. All I can see is that it seems to have something in common with cloud solutions. What are those "cloud services" mentioned in the second section? And how come someone has been approached that way when Plus will go live only on November 15? Or the other way round, if these services/systems are not linked directly to Plus membership (as some "have been contacted" already), then it would seem this feature is not exclusive to Plus?

Please can you be more specific and name at least one external channel (TM-Town excluded) in question, which will be exclusive to Plus members?

I can consider the Plus package, but I don't wish to buy a pig in a poke.

Thank you.

Frank Feng
Frank Feng  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 07:52
Member (2016)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Calculation of "remaining value of current membership" Nov 9, 2016

Jared Tabor wrote:

If you are already a ProZ.com member, you may want to consider renewing your membership at this time. Please note that you do not lose any of the remaining value of your current membership when renewing early. And please help spread the word!

Hi Jared,

I have a question - I paid $144 for my current membership on July 14 and when I made pre-registration for the new Plus subscription, my remaining value of current membership was calculated as $69 - I'm not sure how this was calculated? It will be only 124 days from July 14 to Nov 15, which is about 1/3 of a year, shouldn't my remaining value be about 2/3 of $144 or some $95?

Thank you!

Frank

..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 08:52
Plus Video Library Screenshots Nov 9, 2016

Hi all,

I'd like to share some screenshots of the on-demand video library which will be included as part of the Plus package. At launch, the library will include over 650 videos. If you were to purchase these videos individually as training courses on ProZ.com you would need to spend over $9,900. There is a lot of valuable content available to Plus subscribers in this library.

For those who have already subscribed to the Plus package, you can get a sneak preview by goin
... See more
Hi all,

I'd like to share some screenshots of the on-demand video library which will be included as part of the Plus package. At launch, the library will include over 650 videos. If you were to purchase these videos individually as training courses on ProZ.com you would need to spend over $9,900. There is a lot of valuable content available to Plus subscribers in this library.

For those who have already subscribed to the Plus package, you can get a sneak preview by going to http://videos.proz.com/

Plus Video Library Screenshot

Plus Video Library

Plus Video Library - Search Videos

Kevin
Collapse

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Thanks Kevin, Nov 9, 2016

Kevin Dias wrote:

Hi all,

I'd like to share some screenshots ...
Kevin

Very impressive. Wow. We'll definitely sign up now. Thanks for that.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Like Georgie Scott Nov 10, 2016

I find the cheaper automatic subscription suspect for the usual reasons, and have just renewed manually despite the unhuge economic advantage. I'd like to believe that, should a subscriber decide to unsubscribe, there wouldn't be a string of hoops to jump through, but a little voice in my head warns me against putting that to the test.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Don't worry Nov 10, 2016

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

I find the cheaper automatic subscription suspect for the usual reasons, and have just renewed manually despite the unhuge economic advantage. I'd like to believe that, should a subscriber decide to unsubscribe, there wouldn't be a string of hoops to jump through, but a little voice in my head warns me against putting that to the test.

Thanks for renewing! Don't worry. We'd like you to be a member for as long as you are a translator, but that nonsense some companies engage in by making it hard to unsubscribe is not our style.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
EU VAT or no EU VAT? Nov 10, 2016

Hello

I just bought the plus package, but I have a question: will I pay EU VAT or not?

On the first screen it shows:
first page

But on the next screens it shows:
third screen

And although PayPal asked me to authorise recurring payments, no actual payment was made. What gives? (-:

Samuel

Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:52
German to English
Discount? Nov 10, 2016

We have been told that existing members who upgrade to the Plus package (may) get a discount - but as far as I can see they don't get a "discount" at all; they simply get a refund of the unused portion of their existing standard membership when this is cancelled and replaced by the Plus membership. So this isn't a discount in any meaningful sense of the word - it is just the appropriate adjustment to their membership fee to enable them to upgrade immediately rather than wait until their current ... See more
We have been told that existing members who upgrade to the Plus package (may) get a discount - but as far as I can see they don't get a "discount" at all; they simply get a refund of the unused portion of their existing standard membership when this is cancelled and replaced by the Plus membership. So this isn't a discount in any meaningful sense of the word - it is just the appropriate adjustment to their membership fee to enable them to upgrade immediately rather than wait until their current subsciption expires.Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
VAT is the same. We'll look into other issues. Nov 10, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:

I just bought the plus package, but I have a question: will I pay EU VAT or not?

... {amount discrepancy}

And although PayPal asked me to authorise recurring payments, no actual payment was made. What gives? (-:

Thanks, Samuel. Jason is looking into these issues.

I can say that VAT policy is the same (by law): if you can give us your VAT number, we don't have to charge, if you can not, we have to.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Right, Armorel Nov 10, 2016

Armorel Young wrote:

We have been told that existing members who upgrade to the Plus package (may) get a discount - but as far as I can see they don't get a "discount" at all; they simply get a refund of the unused portion of their existing standard membership when this is cancelled and replaced by the Plus membership. So this isn't a discount in any meaningful sense of the word - it is just the appropriate adjustment to their membership fee to enable them to upgrade immediately rather than wait until their current subsciption expires.

Yes, that is exactly what it is. Sorry if the language is misleading.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New choices in membership, and the largest ProZ.com campaign to date: "The Open Road"

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »