Thread poster: RominaZ
Deolindo
Deolindo  Identity Verified
Angola
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@ Ivette & Yuri Dec 6, 2007

ICL wrote:

That is why I suggested a system based on points to be deducted for each kind of error made (either spelling, grammar, etc. AND source text omissions, misinterpretations, etc.), so that in the end you get the really "best" ones as finalists.

With this sort of suggestions we'll soon have a close-to-perfect competition. Thx, Ivette. And I think there should be a way of encouraging more participants to vote, without disqualifying their own entries. Maybe people should be allowed to vote on their own translations, but such vote would only be valid if they gave the same score to another contestant. In a system where players are also referees there is a need for exceptional measures. Otherwise there will always be cases of only 1 qualified entry 10 minutes before the end the qualifying stage, or pairs in which there is no winner at the finals.

Mr. Smirnov claims that misspelt or grammatically-wrong sentences cannot "fairly convey a message"

"You want picture my house, my camel? You pay" "les dos qui se voûte"

Would these two sentences ever mislead you as to what they mean?

But again, this is no excuse the pepper your translation with mistakes.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

5th Proz.com Translation Contest Qualification Round has just started

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »