Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Winners of the Third ProZ.com Translation Contest!
Thread poster: María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
Local time: 21:09
SITE STAFF
Jul 11, 2007

Dear members,

I would like to thank you all for showing your interest and participating in the Third Translation Contest at ProZ.com.

In particular, congratulations to the winners!

The winners of this contest are shown on the contest page http://www.proz.com/contests with a direct link to their winning translations and all the qualified entries in each language pair.... See more
Dear members,

I would like to thank you all for showing your interest and participating in the Third Translation Contest at ProZ.com.

In particular, congratulations to the winners!

The winners of this contest are shown on the contest page http://www.proz.com/contests with a direct link to their winning translations and all the qualified entries in each language pair.

Feedback and suggestions about the contest as a whole are welcome. We would like to hear first from all of the participants who either submitted an entry, qualified or voted during the contest. However, this feature will be opened later to members who chose not to participate in the contest.
The same possibility will be given in each language pair where contest participants are invited to post comments for the qualified entries.

As previously announced, the winners will receive the “contest winner” icon in their profiles, the diploma which may be downloaded from the profile section titled “contests entered” and a ProZ.com carrying case suitable for laptops.

Once again, thanks for all your participation and support!

Hope to see you all soon in the next contest.

Kind regards,
Florencia
Collapse

enowtakuem
enowtakuem
Local time: 01:09
French to English
+ ...
Great contest indeed! Jul 11, 2007

Great job Florencia & team. I actually took part in the English to French contest but failed to make it to the qualification stage. I have no query about that. I have took part in the three contests organised so far, and will certainly take part in future contests.

The contest is a great turn on for me especially with the competitive atmosphere, and most importantly for the learning experience with regards to how different translators go about translating the same text.

... See more
Great job Florencia & team. I actually took part in the English to French contest but failed to make it to the qualification stage. I have no query about that. I have took part in the three contests organised so far, and will certainly take part in future contests.

The contest is a great turn on for me especially with the competitive atmosphere, and most importantly for the learning experience with regards to how different translators go about translating the same text.

However, I have always had a feeling of incomplete satisfaction whenever the winners are finally declared. It is my opinion that the contest will serve a more complete purpose if it is equally possible for some "reputable translator(s)" in the given language pair to make comments on why a given approach to translating is ideal or not. That will be of great pedagogic help.

Well, just an idea!

enowtakuem,

[Edited at 2007-07-11 23:50]
Collapse

Hilde Granlund
Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 02:09
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Good job to the staff, and Congratulations to the winners! Jul 12, 2007

Very interesting to follow the contest and read the entries in such languages as I can understand.
Too bad there were so few entries from Scandinavians - only the Finns making it to the voting stage. More power to you! (Despite my Finnish ancestors I don't speak a word of Finnish, alas (barring a few unspeakable ones))

Two things about the English source text seemed to inspire different solutions.
1. The word "minglers" - it is not in the dictionary, and a true equivalen
... See more
Very interesting to follow the contest and read the entries in such languages as I can understand.
Too bad there were so few entries from Scandinavians - only the Finns making it to the voting stage. More power to you! (Despite my Finnish ancestors I don't speak a word of Finnish, alas (barring a few unspeakable ones))

Two things about the English source text seemed to inspire different solutions.
1. The word "minglers" - it is not in the dictionary, and a true equivalent is not found in (m)any other languages. What to do with such words? I chickened out and avoided it

2. The names. I kept the original names, many other translators changed the names to go with the language. Is there any sort of convention for this? In novels and such, mostly original names are used, but I suppose if this was a magazine article or something like that, one might want to localize it by changing the names?
What do you think?
Collapse

Martin Wenzel
Martin Wenzel
Germany
English to German
+ ...
The names to be translated? Jul 12, 2007

Hello Hilde,

I didn't participate this time and found that the German translations were so different...

I decided not to vote, simply because the evaluation would have taken me too long, they all were good in their own way...

Also, I don't always immediately perceive where all the difficulties would have been in the translation...

I think I would also have changed the names to make it sound more natural...

I have a hard time readin
... See more
Hello Hilde,

I didn't participate this time and found that the German translations were so different...

I decided not to vote, simply because the evaluation would have taken me too long, they all were good in their own way...

Also, I don't always immediately perceive where all the difficulties would have been in the translation...

I think I would also have changed the names to make it sound more natural...

I have a hard time reading an English translation of a Dostojewski novel, for example, with all these Russian names interspersed, forcing me to slow down my usual reading speed: Pjotr Ivanovitsch Gosslovski (I just made this up) may seem just a name, but it poses a reading barrier over which I need to jump. So, there would be a lot of mental jumping...which in itself renders it unfit for light reading (mind you, Dostojewski isn't light reading to start with...)

I personally always want to read a book in the original language, I hate translations that read like translations...
Collapse

Hilde Granlund
Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
hehe, but isn't that where the good translator comes in? Jul 12, 2007

Martin Wenzel wrote:

I personally always want to read a book in the original language, I hate translations that read like translations...

That is true, but if all people could do this, we'd all be out of work
I do not translate literature, but I suppose the trick is exactly that - not make it read like a translation. And keep the original "feel" of the novel. That must be very difficult - especially when it comes to Dostojevski and such. The names are just the beginning of the problems, Russian name systems (with all their names and nicknames) are confusing to say the least. But the solution would not be to call the characters Anna Cole (Instead of Anna Karenina) and so on(for an English translation), or what?
Opening a novel set in a different place and time, you should prepare for a few mental hurdles, I suppose.

[Edited at 2007-07-12 11:34]

Susie Miles (X)
Susie Miles (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
I agree about finding new ideas/suggestions on how to obtain more clearly evaluated translations Jul 12, 2007

I took part in the English>Spanish contest and also failed to make it to the qualification stage. I have no query about that either, only that when I saw some of the other translations that did make it to the qualification stage, I also had a feeling of dissatisfaction as some of those entries had, in my humble opinion, mistakes that were really disqualifying.

I also share the point concerning the stimulating challenge and the hard work involved, as well as the learning experience
... See more
I took part in the English>Spanish contest and also failed to make it to the qualification stage. I have no query about that either, only that when I saw some of the other translations that did make it to the qualification stage, I also had a feeling of dissatisfaction as some of those entries had, in my humble opinion, mistakes that were really disqualifying.

I also share the point concerning the stimulating challenge and the hard work involved, as well as the learning experience that these contests mean for some of us.

The idea that some “reputable translator(s)” in the given language pairs could make comments or base their opinions concerning the qualification or not of the translations involved is interesting and as this member says “will be of great pedagogic help”.

However, I have always had a feeling of incomplete satisfaction whenever the winners are finally declared. It is my opinion that the contest will serve a more complete purpose if it is equally possible for some "reputable translator(s)" in the given language pair to make comments on why a given approach to translating is ideal or not. That will be of great pedagogic help.

Well, just an idea!

enowtakuem,
Collapse

Annamaria Arlotta
Annamaria Arlotta  Identity Verified
English to Italian
General comment/ translated names/reputable translators Jul 13, 2007

Dear Florencia, Thank you for efforts in creating all these contests. This time I enjoyed participating more, wonder why (heheheheh!)...Anyway I wanted to tell you that I find ProZ an excellent site for several reasons and not only for its usefulness from a professional point of view and the sofisticated and complex but nonetheless user-friendly layout, but also because of the sense of community created through these contests, the quick polls and the help given to other translators with transl... See more
Dear Florencia, Thank you for efforts in creating all these contests. This time I enjoyed participating more, wonder why (heheheheh!)...Anyway I wanted to tell you that I find ProZ an excellent site for several reasons and not only for its usefulness from a professional point of view and the sofisticated and complex but nonetheless user-friendly layout, but also because of the sense of community created through these contests, the quick polls and the help given to other translators with translation problems.

Hilde wonders why several translators changed the original names. In the case of a novel or short story I would have not changed them ( Yes, Anne Cole would certainly sound peculiar!) but in this case I felt that using Italian names sounded more natural in an Italian text and foreign names could distract the reader from its humorous intent.

I agree with Susie's idea of asking a reputable translator to make comments on all the translations entered because I think we could learn from his/her observations.

Hasta la next contest!
Collapse

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Suggestion Jul 13, 2007

I would like to suggest that non-paying members be allowed to participate in the translation contests. This would boost their confidence and also (hopefully) give them more clients and hence enough money to become paying members in the future.

In the case of non-paying members, payment could be made in Browniz points, like what happens when we use the Blue Board or make a bid for a job.

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
I am sorry... Jul 15, 2007

I am sorry: this contest is discriminatory between the full paying members and the community members. I remind to you, that any type of discrimination is expressly prohibited by the European Community.

It gives countries, like mine, were it is difficult enough to live and to survive from translating with third-world fees... Nevertheless, i try to pay in another way: Helping other translators via Proz, but, considering the existing discrimination, I have decided not to help any of
... See more
I am sorry: this contest is discriminatory between the full paying members and the community members. I remind to you, that any type of discrimination is expressly prohibited by the European Community.

It gives countries, like mine, were it is difficult enough to live and to survive from translating with third-world fees... Nevertheless, i try to pay in another way: Helping other translators via Proz, but, considering the existing discrimination, I have decided not to help any of the participants in this contest.

Have a nice weekend.
Pablo Bouvier
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
No discrimination Jul 16, 2007

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

I disagree.

The translation contests are services made available by ProZ.com to its (paying) members, there is no discrimination here.

Regards,
Enrique

Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Discrimination? Jul 16, 2007

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

It gives countries, like mine, were it is difficult enough to live and to survive from translating with third-world fees... Nevertheless, i try to pay in another way: Helping other translators via Proz, but, considering the existing discrimination, I have decided not to help any of the participants in this contest.

Have a nice weekend.
Pablo Bouvier

Hi, Pablo !

I believe that you are not right here.

In this way we should say that people who were not allowed to visit a theater performance because they did not buy tickets have been discriminated.

And that the people who cannot afford to buy a car (like me ) are dicriminated too.

María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Two more winners in the third ProZ.com translation contest! Jul 16, 2007

Dear members,

Two drawings for another ProZ.com laptop case have just been held as previously announced in the contest forum.

I am happy to announced the two winners, one among those posters whose entries in certain language pairs were very few to enter the qualification round and another among those who actively participated in the last voting stage helping decide the winners!

I would like to congratulate the winners of those drawings, respectively, who a
... See more
Dear members,

Two drawings for another ProZ.com laptop case have just been held as previously announced in the contest forum.

I am happy to announced the two winners, one among those posters whose entries in certain language pairs were very few to enter the qualification round and another among those who actively participated in the last voting stage helping decide the winners!

I would like to congratulate the winners of those drawings, respectively, who are:

Dmitriy Kovalev, with ID number 27987 http://www.proz.com/profile/27987
who participated in the Russian>French language pair with only two finalists.

And...

Sussie Miles, with ID number 654432 http://www.proz.com/profile/654432
who voted in the final round to help decide the winners, and who also by chance participated in the English >Spanish language pair but did not to make it to the qualification stage.

Thanks you all for participating and supporting the contest!

Hope to see you all in the next one!

Kind regards,
Florencia
Collapse

Susie Miles (X)
Susie Miles (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Thank you!!! Jul 16, 2007

Florencia Vita wrote:

Dear members,

I would like to congratulate the winners of those drawings, respectively, who are:

who participated in the Russian>French language pair with only two finalists.

And...

Sussie Miles, with ID number 654432 http://www.proz.com/profile/654432
who voted in the final round to help decide the winners, and who also by chance participated in the English >Spanish language pair but did not to make it to the qualification stage.

Thanks you all for participating and supporting the contest!

Hope to see you all in the next one!

Kind regards,
Florencia

Thank you!!!
Not only have I practiced English while participating and reading other participants' comments; learned some important things in connection with translation; but also I have enjoyed the sense of community and politeness
that is used when adding notes, comments and postings in the forums.
Thanks a lot for your best wishes for next contests!
Best regards,
Susie

[Edited at 2007-07-16 16:33]

Joseph Kovalov
Joseph Kovalov  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 03:09
English to Russian
+ ...
Wow!!! Jul 16, 2007

Florencia Vita wrote:

who participated in the Russian>English language pair with only two finalists.

You, mean Russian>French, Florencia, don't you?

Anyway thank you very much! It is pity we couldn't get three texts to take part in a real contest battle.
Frankly speaking I would be glad to have native French speakers’ opinion.

Cordialement
Dmitriy

Phong Le
Phong Le  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 07:09
Vietnamese
+ ...
Hello from Vietnamese lawyer living in Vietnam Jul 17, 2007

Dear All,

I received the announcement yesterday.

Congratulations for the winners in the 3rd contest.

Looking at the list, I regret that the language pair [English to Vietnamese] is not in . It could be that:

- less than 03 translation submitted, or

- some of them translated by non-paid member, or

- other reasons.

Hope the next contest is contributed widely among VNese native speakers etc.

... See more
Dear All,

I received the announcement yesterday.

Congratulations for the winners in the 3rd contest.

Looking at the list, I regret that the language pair [English to Vietnamese] is not in . It could be that:

- less than 03 translation submitted, or

- some of them translated by non-paid member, or

- other reasons.

Hope the next contest is contributed widely among VNese native speakers etc.

I did the translation but not submitted.

Regards.

L. Phong
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Winners of the Third ProZ.com Translation Contest!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »