Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
Third ProZ.com Translation Contest!
Thread poster: María Florencia Vita
Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
This button *could* make sence only for those who did not participate - Jul 4, 2007

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

Florencia,
I remember at the last contest there was a button saying something like "None of the entries are good enough".
Was this removed intentionally or is it just a bug?

I think this button is very useful, because if a voter, after reading the entries finds that none of the entries are good enough to vote for, could express that opinion. After all, if he/she took the time to read the entries, it would be nice to count him/her among the total voters.
If this button is not there, when you see only a few votes in a certain language pair, you will not know whether the pair lacks voters altogether (nobody is reading the entries) or they do read the entries, but they think the entries are not good enough to vote for.

Would it be possible to put that button back to function?

This button could make sence only for those who did not participate - otherwise everyone will push this button TO INCREASE OWN CHANCES

And, as the practice shows that mostly the voters are the same as participants with one or two exceptions such button is absolutely unnecessary and even dangerous.

In any case you can select a translation which is somewhat better than the others - right?

[Edited at 2007-07-04 09:39]

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 01:07
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
An ethical problem: voting into "non-native" language pair Jul 4, 2007

I really like some translations in Rus>Eng pair, which is not my working pair, though, but it "mirrors" my native Eng>Rus. In any case, I feel a temptation to vote in Rus>Eng pair because I have my favourite "three" among the entries. At the same time, I'm not sure if it would be ethical, because my votes may distort the real picture in the contest pair. In other words, my opinions about the translations into a language which is not my native may be not professional or just/fair enough. What do ... See more
I really like some translations in Rus>Eng pair, which is not my working pair, though, but it "mirrors" my native Eng>Rus. In any case, I feel a temptation to vote in Rus>Eng pair because I have my favourite "three" among the entries. At the same time, I'm not sure if it would be ethical, because my votes may distort the real picture in the contest pair. In other words, my opinions about the translations into a language which is not my native may be not professional or just/fair enough. What do you think?

AND, by the way, I second Nik-On/Off's suggestion to show the current progress of the voting, the data which were introduced at the later stage of the qualifying round: the total number of votes/voters and the current score won (visible to the contestants only, of course).

[Edited at 2007-07-04 11:24]
Collapse

María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
Local time: 19:07
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
It will be fixed shortly Jul 4, 2007

Csaba Szenes wrote:

Hi Florencia,

You are talking about language pairs with only 2 entries... But as I've seen, for example in English to Hungarian pair where you can find 3 entries, it's also impossible to vote... Is it just because one of the three entries is mine(so, does it mean, that it's just for me impossible?), or have I misunderstood something? By the way thank you so much for your work on organizing the contest! It was a really good idea, especially for those with poor experience and credentials...
The problem is the lack of activity of the members by voting:((and at some language pairs also in the submission -phase...))

Kind regards,
Csaba

Dear Csaba Szenes,

Thanks for reporting the issue. I will have it fixed by our developers right away.

Thanks for participating.

Kind regrads,
Florencia

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to keep you all posted that the bug has been solved.

Kind regards,
Florencia

Csaba Szenes
Csaba Szenes
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:07
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Thank you! Jul 4, 2007

[quote]Florencia Vita wrote:

Csaba Szenes wrote:

Dear Csaba Szenes,

Thanks for reporting the issue. I will have it fixed by our developers right away.

Thanks for participating.

Kind regrads,
Florencia

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to keep you all posted that the bug has been solved.

Kind regards,
Florencia

Many thanks Florencia!:)

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:07
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
"None of the entries..." button for non-participants Jul 4, 2007

Alexander Onishko wrote:

This button could make sence only for those who did not participate - otherwise everyone will push this button TO INCREASE OWN CHANCES

I think this is probably right, but I am sure it is not a problem technically, because as far as I understand the participants have a different view of the contest page anyway. So I think the site programmers could easily make sure that the participants would not have that button enabled. Although, I am not sure I agree with participants voting at all - I thin if I participated, I would want to refrain from voting. But maybe it's only me - and this was not the issue at hand anyway.

And, as the practice shows that mostly the voters are the same as participants with one or two exceptions

Well, I am not sure. I did not see any statistics about this regarding the previous contests but I know for a fact that in one of my language pairs several people who did not participate, took the time to vote.

such button is absolutely unnecessary and even dangerous.

I respectfully disagree, see above.

In any case you can select a translation which is somewhat better than the others - right?

Well, maybe, but if that "somewhat better than the others" entry is still below the level that the voter would expect for a winning entry for a translation contest, he/she may want to express that opinion.
In other words, the voter may wish to select the "best of the crop", but not the "best of the crap" - excuse my language, but couldn't resist...
I have seen contests, competitions, where no winner was announced, simply because the judges did not find anybody's performance worthy the grand prize. Sometimes they only have second or third places announced (sometimes as a tie), or only "honorable mentions".

By the way, this whole issue does not reflect my direct opinion about the current entries in any of my own language pairs - it is a general question/suggestion about a feature that was available at the last contest and seems to be not present now.

[Módosítva: 2007-07-04 16:05]

Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Chinese
+ ...
Florencia: Jul 5, 2007

In Chinese contest page, some of the entries don't display any text unless "Show Full Text" link is pressed. Is this some bug?

Thanks
Jianjun

megane_wang
megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:07
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Unfair voting and errors accepted Jul 5, 2007

Alexander Onishko wrote:

If an entry becomes disqualified it may no longer receive positive votes.

It is mathematically ungrounded and incorrect from the point of view of statistics.

Lets us consider the entry A, which would have received + 10 and -4 votes

What will happen if the 4 people who intended to vote against it would vote first ?

The entry will be disqualified and will not be able to receive its positive votes.

[Edited at 2007-07-03 11:14]

I agree with Alexander, and would add my first thoughts up to date:

1. I think that voting AGAINST anyone should be forbidden if participants can vote.

2. The qualifying phase does not make sense to me if everyone can vote, and negative votes are allowed. A good translation could be kicked out of the list very easily without solid reasons. What's the problem with voting on 30 entries in 1 unique round? For me it looks like a better idea... If there is a problem, I would try to work on the process usability, not on the contest rules.

My estimate is that, currently, if a participant does not vote during the qualifying round, it favors him/her, because, at least, no votes are added to the competitors who may be interested to disqualify his/her "good" entry. Again, if there's a qualifying round, participants should not be involved in that qualification.

As far as I see, the overall result of the current system is that entries with translation errors and no significant differences with "medium level" ones are to ready be voted as the best (I can't talk much about the "disqualified ones", because the moderators told me that it was not possible to view them anymore in that round, even shown as "anonymous" as all the others were).

Ruth @ MW

[Edited at 2007-07-05 20:04]

Andreea Ciurea
Andreea Ciurea  Identity Verified
Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
small bug Jul 5, 2007

As I have an entry in a pair with less than 3 entries I received via my e-mail the link to the contest page in order to choose what to do next but, to my surprize...no options are shown, only my translation.

Can someone look into that?

Thanks a lot.
Andreea

Henar Chico (X)
Henar Chico (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree Jul 5, 2007

Nik-On/Off wrote:

Now I can add a note to my own translation. A very useful feature

It would also be interesting to see voting progress. Is that possible?

Dmitrii

Yes, I would also like to see the progress. Thanks.

Henar Chico (X)
Henar Chico (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree on one of the points Jul 5, 2007

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

Alexander Onishko wrote:

I think this is probably right, but I am sure it is not a problem technically, because as far as I understand the participants have a different view of the contest page anyway. So I think the site programmers could easily make sure that the participants would not have that button enabled. Although, I am not sure I agree with participants voting at all - I thin if I participated, I would want to refrain from voting. But maybe it's only me - and this was not the issue at hand anyway.

And, as the practice shows that mostly the voters are the same as participants with one or two exceptions

Well, I am not sure. I did not see any statistics about this regarding the previous contests but I know for a fact that in one of my language pairs several people who did not participate, took the time to vote.

such button is absolutely unnecessary and even dangerous.

I respectfully disagree, see above.

Well, maybe, but if that "somewhat better than the others" entry is still below the level that the voter would expect for a winning entry for a translation contest, he/she may want to express that opinion.
In other words, the voter may wish to select the "best of the crop", but not the "best of the crap" - excuse my language, but couldn't resist...
I have seen contests, competitions, where no winner was announced, simply because the judges did not find anybody's performance worthy the grand prize. Sometimes they only have second or third places announced (sometimes as a tie), or only "honorable mentions".

By the way, this whole issue does not reflect my direct opinion about the current entries in any of my own language pairs - it is a general question/suggestion about a feature that was available at the last contest and seems to be not present now.

[Módosítva: 2007-07-04 16:05]

I did participate in the EN>ES contest, and I did not vote on the qualifying round and I will not vote either in the final round. I think it is the best thing to do. I will wait and see what the other members have to say and abide by their judgement.

María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Logged in? Jul 6, 2007

As I have an entry in a pair with less than 3 entries I received via my e-mail the link to the contest page in order to choose what to do next but, to my surprize...no options are shown, only my translation.

Can someone look into that?

Dear Henar,

Were you logged in when you enter the URL provided in the email?

Anyway, I will have have Pablo check it once again.

I appreciate your patience.

Kind regards,

Florencia

María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Explanation Jul 6, 2007

Dear member,

For those language pairs with less than 3 entries posters have been given the option of what to do with their entries through an email with a URL provided to make the choices.

Unfortunately, some of them have experienced some difficulties in seeing the options available to them in the link provided, the reason of that was that the HTML text was not interpreted by Internet Explorer.

Now the problem has been fixed, so it should be working for all
... See more
Dear member,

For those language pairs with less than 3 entries posters have been given the option of what to do with their entries through an email with a URL provided to make the choices.

Unfortunately, some of them have experienced some difficulties in seeing the options available to them in the link provided, the reason of that was that the HTML text was not interpreted by Internet Explorer.

Now the problem has been fixed, so it should be working for all the browsers including Internet Explorer.

Kind regards,

Florencia
Collapse

Maria Proenca
Maria Proenca  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
How can I know if I was disqualified? Jul 6, 2007

I don't sse anything that says I was desqualified but I think my text is not there! How can I check?

[Edited at 2007-07-06 17:03]

Susie Miles (X)
Susie Miles (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Evaluating criteria or participants'competence to evaluate Jul 6, 2007

megane_wang wrote:

Alexander Onishko wrote:

If an entry becomes disqualified it may no longer receive positive votes.

It is mathematically ungrounded and incorrect from the point of view of statistics.

Lets us consider the entry A, which would have received + 10 and -4 votes

What will happen if the 4 people who intended to vote against it would vote first ?

The entry will be disqualified and will not be able to receive its positive votes.

[Edited at 2007-07-03 11:14]

I agree with Alexander, and would add my first thoughts up to date:

1. I think that voting AGAINST anyone should be forbidden if participants can vote.

2. The qualifying phase does not make sense to me if everyone can vote, and negative votes are allowed. A good translation could be kicked out of the list very easily without solid reasons. What's the problem with voting on 30 entries in 1 unique round? For me it looks like a better idea... If there is a problem, I would try to work on the process usability, not on the contest rules.

My estimate is that, currently, if a participant does not vote during the qualifying round, it favors him/her, because, at least, no votes are added to the competitors who may be interested to disqualify his/her "good" entry. Again, if there's a qualifying round, participants should not be involved in that qualification.

As far as I see, the overall result of the current system is that entries with translation errors and no significant differences with "medium level" ones are to ready be voted as the best (I can't talk much about the "disqualified ones", because the moderators told me that it was not possible to view them anymore in that round, even shown as "anonymous" as all the others were).

Ruth @ MW

[Edited at 2007-07-05 20:04]

A participant may be disqualified in the first round on account of one mistake made, but the translated text as a whole may be much better than many of the entries that appear for voting in the second round, which also have similar or worse mistakes than the one made by the disqualified participant. Consequently, I am not convinced of the validity of the members' evaluating criteria or competence to evaluate.

[Edited at 2007-07-07 13:16]

[Edited at 2007-07-07 14:17]

[Edited at 2007-07-07 15:29]

cristina estanislau
cristina estanislau  Identity Verified
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Contest English/Portuguese Jul 8, 2007

Hi
I am Portuguese PT.
I was reading the translations posted in this pair and I think there is a question here.
I think that Portuguese PT is rather different from Portuguese BR. Although they are the same language, they have really different ways of expressing the same idea.
I voted for the translation I found more well structured in Portuguese/PT but it can happen that the translation more voted is a Portuguese/BR (just because a lot more brasilien translators chose th
... See more
Hi
I am Portuguese PT.
I was reading the translations posted in this pair and I think there is a question here.
I think that Portuguese PT is rather different from Portuguese BR. Although they are the same language, they have really different ways of expressing the same idea.
I voted for the translation I found more well structured in Portuguese/PT but it can happen that the translation more voted is a Portuguese/BR (just because a lot more brasilien translators chose that one) or vice versa.
Shouldn't there be the possibility to choose the best Portuguese/PT and the best Portuguese/BR translation?
Just a question.
Regards
Cristina
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Third ProZ.com Translation Contest!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »