Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:27
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Qualification is happening only in some pairs Jun 29, 2007

ildiko wrote:

Hi,
Two days ago I posted and have to repeat it: there are no buttons for voting and the only entry visible to me is my own.
How are we supposed to vote? =(

Ildiko and I clarified this issue via email but it is interesting to post it here, as it could benefit others:

Only the language pairs that had more than 6 entries at the start of this phase go through a qualification process (aimed to bringing the amount of entries to a level that will make voting comfortable).

Pairs that had up to 6 entries when this phase begun can still receive entries (and therefore there are no voting features in them yet).

Regards,
Enrique

Katrin Eichler
Katrin Eichler  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:27
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Just curious Jun 30, 2007

Hi,

I participated in the contest for the English > German language pair. However, none of the entries in this pair has qualified for the next round yet. What happens when this doesn't change by Tuesday?

Thanks and kind regards,
Katrin

Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
I can see qualified and pending translations ... Jul 2, 2007

Can I also see the disqualified translations?

María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Disqualified entries seen only by their owner Jul 2, 2007

Dear Alexander,

You can see the number of qualified, disqualified and pending entries. The owner of the entry is the only one who sees his/her disqualified entry.

Kind regards,
Florencia

Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Unfair voting pattern Jul 3, 2007

If an entry becomes disqualified it may no longer receive positive votes.

It is mathematically ungrounded and incorrect from the point of view of statistics.

Lets us consider the entry A, which would have received + 10 and -4 votes

What will happen if the 4 people who intended to vote against it would vote first ?

The entry will be disqualified and will not be able to receive its positive votes.

[Edited at 2007-07-03 11:14]

Yuri Smirnov
Yuri Smirnov  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:27
English to Belarusian
+ ...
Pretty logical Jul 3, 2007

Alexander Onishko wrote:

What will happen if the 4 people who intended to vote against it would vote first ?

Pretty logical. I agree.
But, in spite of all possible glitches and 'security holes' in the system, I still want to emphasize that the system on the whole is developing in the right direction. The heated discussions this time (at least in the Russian forum) make it utterly different from total indifference last time which can also raise serious doubts if winners with only 3 voters are really winners (they call it convenience sample, or a unrepresentative sample in statistics).

Andreea Ciurea
Andreea Ciurea  Identity Verified
Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
language pairs with 1 or 2 entries Jul 3, 2007

Hello
As I've seen, voting will not take place in the language pairs with one or two entries. Well how will the winner be determined in the language pairs with 2 entries if there will be no voting? Am I missing something?

María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Half an hour is left Jul 3, 2007

Dear Andrea,

We hope in the last thirty minutes there will be one golden entry that will make the voting round possible in those language pairs with only 2 entries so far.

If this is not the case, posters in language pairs with not enough entries for voting will be given three options:
    (1) Publish their entries and accept feedback from colleagues
    (2) Publish their entries but do not accept feedback from colleagues
    (3) Do not publish their entrie... See more
Dear Andrea,

We hope in the last thirty minutes there will be one golden entry that will make the voting round possible in those language pairs with only 2 entries so far.

If this is not the case, posters in language pairs with not enough entries for voting will be given three options:
    (3) Do not publish their entries.

Thanks for showing interest in the contest.

Kind regards,

Florencia
Collapse

María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
End of qualification phase announcement Jul 3, 2007

Dear members,

The qualification phase of the third ProZ.com translation contest is over and all pairs with at least three entries are about to move into the final voting phase.

The original criterion for qualifying entries was based on net votes (positive minus negative votes) but several members raised concerns about this criterion. Voting patterns were evaluated and then a new criterion based exclusively on positive votes was selected.

All entries already
... See more
Dear members,

The qualification phase of the third ProZ.com translation contest is over and all pairs with at least three entries are about to move into the final voting phase.

The original criterion for qualifying entries was based on net votes (positive minus negative votes) but several members raised concerns about this criterion. Voting patterns were evaluated and then a new criterion based exclusively on positive votes was selected.

All entries already qualified made it to the next round, together with a few entries that were reported as not qualified. This change of criterion was based on the opinion that, in case of doubts, it is better to give more options to our members (thus allowing the vote on the entries in question).

There are 19 language pairs where voting will be held. Winners will get a certificate, an optional icon in their profiles and a ProZ.com case suitable for laptops.

A drawing for another case will be held among those who posted entries in pairs with less than 3 entries and who chose to keep them visible.

And as a way to convey the conviction that the contest is a community event shared by entry posters and voters alike, another drawing for a ProZ.com case will take place among the voters of this last phase of the contest.

Thanks a lot for participating in this contest, for helping us keep improving and for supporting the site.

Regards,
Florencia
Collapse

sal4trans
sal4trans
Local time: 12:27
Arabic to English
Another problem! Jul 3, 2007

Hello there!

I find it strange that in my language pair(EN>AR) which has 7 contestants, I noticed that the final voting is restricted to four of them, as the BUTTON that says "Vote for your 1st choice" is only available for four, and the remaining three seem to have been "prevented" from getting any vote whatsoever, right from the beginning of the final phase. I should point out that this pair did not go through the intermediate phase, but how come some participants cannot have thei
... See more
Hello there!

I find it strange that in my language pair(EN>AR) which has 7 contestants, I noticed that the final voting is restricted to four of them, as the BUTTON that says "Vote for your 1st choice" is only available for four, and the remaining three seem to have been "prevented" from getting any vote whatsoever, right from the beginning of the final phase. I should point out that this pair did not go through the intermediate phase, but how come some participants cannot have their texts voted by others??

------

The button has returned back to the other contestants!! Problem solved.

[Edited at 2007-07-03 23:39]
Collapse

Csaba Szenes
Csaba Szenes
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:27
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not enough entries to vote? Jul 3, 2007

Florencia Vita wrote:

Dear Andrea,

(3) Do not publish their entries.

Thanks for showing interest in the contest.

Kind regards,

Florencia

Hi Florencia,

You are talking about language pairs with only 2 entries... But as I've seen, for example in English to Hungarian pair where you can find 3 entries, it's also impossible to vote... Is it just because one of the three entries is mine(so, does it mean, that it's just for me impossible?), or have I misunderstood something? By the way thank you so much for your work on organizing the contest! It was a really good idea, especially for those with poor experience and credentials...
The problem is the lack of activity of the members by voting:((and at some language pairs also in the submission -phase...))

Kind regards,
Csaba

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:27
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Where is the "None of them good enough" button? Jul 4, 2007

Florencia,
I remember at the last contest there was a button saying something like "None of the entries are good enough".
Was this removed intentionally or is it just a bug?

I think this button is very useful, because if a voter, after reading the entries finds that none of the entries are good enough to vote for, could express that opinion. After all, if he/she took the time to read the entries, it would be nice to count him/her among the total voters.
If this b
... See more
Florencia,
I remember at the last contest there was a button saying something like "None of the entries are good enough".
Was this removed intentionally or is it just a bug?

I think this button is very useful, because if a voter, after reading the entries finds that none of the entries are good enough to vote for, could express that opinion. After all, if he/she took the time to read the entries, it would be nice to count him/her among the total voters.
If this button is not there, when you see only a few votes in a certain language pair, you will not know whether the pair lacks voters altogether (nobody is reading the entries) or they do read the entries, but they think the entries are not good enough to vote for.

Would it be possible to put that button back to function?
Collapse

Yuri Smirnov
Yuri Smirnov  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:27
English to Belarusian
+ ...
Some terrible quality entries in En-Ru Jul 4, 2007

One of the practical results of the 'last minute' change of policy regarding qualification voting in En-Ru pair (which practically means cancelling that stage) is that there are several translations in the final stage whose authors... how to put it mildly... have a very vague notion of the grammar and wordstock of both languages. Yes, I am sure that the 'final voters' will see that, too, but then what's the use of the qualification stage at all?

I mean to say, in a nutshell, that th
... See more
One of the practical results of the 'last minute' change of policy regarding qualification voting in En-Ru pair (which practically means cancelling that stage) is that there are several translations in the final stage whose authors... how to put it mildly... have a very vague notion of the grammar and wordstock of both languages. Yes, I am sure that the 'final voters' will see that, too, but then what's the use of the qualification stage at all?

I mean to say, in a nutshell, that this move (not taking the minus votes into consideration) must not be the last one, and the system needs to keep developing. The flexibility and moving closer to perfection with each change is noticeable. But it's not the end, not the perfection yet, right?
Collapse

Nik-On/Off
Nik-On/Off  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 10:27
English to Russian
+ ...
. Jul 4, 2007

Now I can add a note to my own translation. A very useful feature

It would also be interesting to see voting progress. Is that possible?

Dmitrii

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Third ProZ.com Translation Contest!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »