Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Finals round voting now open in the annual translation contest
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 09:04
SITE STAFF
Sep 30, 2014

Thanks to everyone who has participated so far in the annual ProZ.com translation contest, Celebrations, by submitting entries, commenting, rating and voting on entries.

Today is the start of the finals round for language pairs which did not already move to the finals on August 4th and have received enough ratings to determine finalists (Congratulations, finalists!). If you work in one of these pairs, please help determine the winner for that pair with your votes.

Unfortunately, there are language pairs which did not receive the minimum number of submissions (three) during the submissions and hybrid phases, and these have been placed in "Feedback" and made available for peer input.

In addition, in a number of language pairs, a minimum amount of ratings that would clearly determine finalists was not received. Rather than postpone the qualification phase for the entire contest, these pairs will remain in the qualification stage until enough ratings have been received, while finals round voting moves forward for the pairs in conditions to move forward. It is hoped that these pairs will be able to "catch up" and move on to finals voting as well. If you work in one of those pairs, your ratings are what will help determine when the pair moves on to the finals.

Language pairs moving on to finals round voting
In these pairs, you can vote by selecting a 1st, 2nd and 3rd best entry.

• Czech to Italian
  • Czech to Russian
  • Czech to Spanish

• Dutch to English
  • Dutch to Italian
  • Dutch to Indonesian
  • Dutch to Polish
  • Dutch to Portuguese (BR)
  • Dutch to Russian

• English to Amharic
  • English to Arabic
  • English to Armenian
  • English to Bengali
  • English to Bulgarian
  • English to Chinese
  • English to Dutch
  • English to Esperanto
  • English to Farsi
  • English to Finnish
  • English to Galician
  • English to Greek
  • English to Gujarati
  • English to Italian
  • English to Japanese
  • English to Korean
  • English to Latvian
  • English to Lithuanian
  • English to Maltese
  • English to Polish
  • English to Romanian
  • English to Russian
  • English to Slovenian
  • English to Somali
  • English to Spanish
  • English to Tagalog
  • English to Telugu
  • English to Turkish
  • English to Yoruba

• French to Catalan
  • French to Chinese
  • French to Croatian
  • French to Czech
  • French to English
  • French to Finnish
  • French to Greek
  • French to Hungarian
  • French to Indonesian
  • French to Macedonian
  • French to Slovak
  • French to Swedish
  • French to Thai
  • French to Turkish
  • French to Ukrainian
  • French to Vietnamese

• German to Arabic
  • German to Bosnian
  • German to Chinese
  • German to Danish
  • German to Estonian
  • German to Finnish
  • German to Greek
  • German to Indonesian
  • German to Japanese
  • German to Latvian
  • German to Portuguese (BR)
  • German to Slovak
  • German to Slovenian

• Italian to Arabic
  • Italian to Catalan
  • Italian to Croatian
  • Italian to Czech
  • Italian to Greek
  • Italian to Indonesian
  • Italian to Maltese
  • Italian to Portuguese (BR)
  • Italian to Slovenian
  • Italian to Turkish

• Portuguese (BR) to French
  • Portuguese (BR) to German
  • Portuguese (BR) to Russian

• Romanian to Italian
  • Romanian to French
  • Romanian to Spanish

• Russian to French
  • Russian to Hungarian
  • Russian to Italian
  • Russian to Kazakh
  • Russian to Lithuanian
  • Russian to Polish
  • Russian to Portuguese (EU)
  • Russian to Romanian
  • Russian to Slovak
  • Russian to Spanish
  • Russian to Turkish
  • Russian to Ukrainian

• Spanish to Basque
  • Spanish to Bulgarian
  • Spanish to Czech
  • Spanish to English
  • Spanish to Galician
  • Spanish to German
  • Spanish to Indonesian
  • Spanish to Japanese
  • Spanish to Lithuanian
  • Spanish to Serbian
  • Spanish to Ukrainian

Language pairs which will remain in the qualification stage until enough ratings have been received
    These pairs will remain in the qualification stage until enough ratings have been received to determine finalists.

Some aspects to keep in mind when considering rating entries:

• You can rate as many or as few entries as you like. It is not necessary to rate all of the entries in a pair if you do not want to.
    • Rating is anonymous. As opposed to tagging (likes and dislikes on an entry), raters are anonymous.
    • Ratings are what help determine finalists. Tags ("likes" and "dislikes") can be helpful feedback on an entry, but the ratings on entries for "Quality of writing" and "Accuracy of translation" are what determine finalists.
    • Participants with an entry can rate entries, too. Experience has shown that this does not negatively affect the outcome, and participants are also in a unique position to provide feedback on entries, since they have worked on the same text and are familiar with the challenges involved.
    • Every rating helps. Even if you only rate a few entries, every little bit helps to determine finalists and is valuable feedback for those have submitted an entry.

• Czech to English
  • Czech to German
  • Czech to Slovak

• Dutch to French
  • Dutch to German

• English to Afrikaans
  • English to Albanian
  • English to Catalan
  • English to Croatian
  • English to Czech
  • English to Danish
  • English to French
  • English to German
  • English to Hebrew
  • English to Hindi
  • English to Hungarian
  • English to Indonesian
  • English to Khmer
  • English to Malay
  • English to Macedonian
  • English to Norwegian
  • English to Portuguese (BR)
  • English to Portuguese (EU)
  • English to Serbian
  • English to Slovak
  • English to Swahili
  • English to Swedish
  • English to Tamil
  • English to Thai
  • English to Ukrainian
  • English to Urdu
  • English to Vietnamese

• French to Arabic
  • French to Bulgarian
  • French to Dutch
  • French to German
  • French to Italian
  • French to Japanese
  • French to Polish
  • French to Portuguese (BR)
  • French to Portuguese (EU)
  • French to Romanian
  • French to Russian
  • French to Serbian
  • French to Spanish

• German to Bulgarian
  • German to Czech
  • German to Dutch
  • German to English
  • German to French
  • German to Hungarian
  • German to Italian
  • German to Polish
  • German to Romanian
  • German to Russian
  • German to Serbian
  • German to Spanish
  • German to Swedish
  • German to Ukrainian

• Italian to Bulgarian
  • Italian to Dutch
  • Italian to English
  • Italian to French
  • Italian to German
  • Italian to Hungarian
  • Italian to Polish
  • Italian to Portuguese (EU)
  • Italian to Romanian
  • Italian to Russian
  • Italian to Serbian
  • Italian to Spanish

• Portuguese (BR) to English
  • Portuguese (BR) to Italian
  • Portuguese (BR) to Portuguese (EU)
  • Portuguese (BR) to Spanish

• Romanian to English

• Russian to English
  • Russian to German
  • Russian to Bulgarian

• Spanish to Arabic
  • Spanish to Catalan
  • Spanish to Dutch
  • Spanish to French
  • Spanish to Greek
  • Spanish to Italian
  • Spanish to Polish
  • Spanish to Portuguese (BR)
  • Spanish to Portuguese (EU)
  • Spanish to Romanian
  • Spanish to Russian

Language pairs in "Feedback"
    In these language pairs, fewer than three entries were received, and they have been made available for commenting. If you work in one of these pairs, your input on the entries as a whole, or aspects of the translations, is appreciated.

• Czech to Bulgarian
  • Czech to French
  • Czech to Urdu

• Dutch to Bulgarian
  • Dutch to Finnish
  • Dutch to Serbian

• English to Burmese
  • English to Georgian
  • English to Kazakh
  • English to Pushto

• French to Armenian
  • French to Maltese

• German to Croatian
  • German to Lithuanian
  • German to Norwegian
  • German to Vietnamese

• Italian to Danish
  • Italian to Macedonian
  • Italian to Slovak

• Portuguese (BR) to Czech
  • Portuguese (BR) to Galician
  • Portuguese (BR) to Indonesian

• Romanian to Bulgarian

• Russian to Croatian
  • Russian to Indonesian

• Spanish to Hungarian
  • Spanish to Thai

• Susana E. Cano Méndez
    Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
    Spain
    Local time: 13:04
    French to Spanish
    + ...
    FR>ES Sep 30, 2014

Thanks, Jared.

It's amazing that a very common pair as FR>ES has not received enough ratings! A bit disappointing...

Greetings.

masato GOTOU
    masato GOTOU  Identity Verified
    Japan
    Local time: 21:04
    Member (2009)
    German to Japanese
    + ...
    Spanish to Japanese Sep 30, 2014

Clicking the pair Spanish to Japanese leads to the English entries.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: http://www.proz.com/?sp=siterules&mode=show&category=Contest%20Rules
    Samuel Murray
    Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
    Netherlands
    Member (2006)
    English to Afrikaans
    + ...
    Global feedback possible? Oct 1, 2014

Jared Tabor wrote:
    Today is the start of the finals round for language pairs which did not already move to the finals on August 4th and have received enough ratings to determine finalists (Congratulations, finalists!). If you work in one of these pairs, please help determine the winner for that pair with your votes.

Since Afrikaans is one of the pairs still being reviewed, I was able to check out the 14 submitted translations and comment on them. But oh, it takes ages to write just one comment, due to the highly formalised commenting system. I reviewed all 14 submissions, but only the first few sentences, before half an hour was up. And most of the time was taken up not by actual reviewing but by navigating the review system properly.

It's a pity one can't submit comments about the translations in general. For example, half of the translators made a certain mistake, but I'm not going to write a tag at each of them. It's also unfortunate that I can only like or dislike something in order to comment on it. Some translations have merit even though they're actually wrong. Do I like them, or dislike them, then?

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: http://www.proz.com/?sp=siterules&mode=show&category=Contest%20Rules
    564354352 (X)
    564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
    Denmark
    Danish to English
    + ...
    Qualifications round could go on forever Oct 5, 2014

The contest seems to go on and on and on for ages, and it sort of loses its credibility if you keep changing the rules, I think.

Maybe people are just not bothered to rate the translations that are now in an extended qualifications round, but they may be bothered to vote if you move those language combinations on to the finals round.

I actually changed my mind (about not voting as I have entered an entry myself) and went in to rate my fellow competitors' translations j
    ... See more
    The contest seems to go on and on and on for ages, and it sort of loses its credibility if you keep changing the rules, I think.

Maybe people are just not bothered to rate the translations that are now in an extended qualifications round, but they may be bothered to vote if you move those language combinations on to the finals round.

I actually changed my mind (about not voting as I have entered an entry myself) and went in to rate my fellow competitors' translations just to do my bit to speed things up. However, in my language combination (English to Danish), there are only 12 entries, and I would have been quite happy to allocate my choice of 1st, 2nd and 3rd best among this number, rather than having to rate them first, then wait an undefined period of time to go back to read any number of translations again to vote in the finals.

Any excitement or interest in the contest is quickly oozing away, I'm afraid... Let's just get on with it, Jared, please...

[Edited at 2014-10-05 05:57 GMT]
    Collapse

Jared Tabor
    Jared Tabor
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    Thanks Samuel Oct 16, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:

Since Afrikaans is one of the pairs still being reviewed, I was able to check out the 14 submitted translations and comment on them. But oh, it takes ages to write just one comment, due to the highly formalised commenting system. I reviewed all 14 submissions, but only the first few sentences, before half an hour was up. And most of the time was taken up not by actual reviewing but by navigating the review system properly.

It's a pity one can't submit comments about the translations in general. For example, half of the translators made a certain mistake, but I'm not going to write a tag at each of them. It's also unfortunate that I can only like or dislike something in order to comment on it. Some translations have merit even though they're actually wrong. Do I like them, or dislike them, then?

Thanks for the feedback, Samuel. Commenting and tagging can be valuable input for participants, but what counts in terms of moving from the qualification phase to finals voting are ratings (the star ratings for "Quality of writing" and "Accuracy of translation"), which are easier to enter than like or dislike tags. Some improvements are in the works which should make it easier to evaluate entries along the lines you mention, though; for example, a means to search for and mark mistakes or good term selections across more than one entry at once.

Jared Tabor
    Jared Tabor
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    Qualifications, in some pairs, could go on forever, unfortunately Oct 16, 2014

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:

I actually changed my mind (about not voting as I have entered an entry myself) and went in to rate my fellow competitors' translations just to do my bit to speed things up. However, in my language combination (English to Danish), there are only 12 entries, and I would have been quite happy to allocate my choice of 1st, 2nd and 3rd best among this number, rather than having to rate them first, then wait an undefined period of time to go back to read any number of translations again to vote in the finals.

Any excitement or interest in the contest is quickly oozing away, I'm afraid... Let's just get on with it, Jared, please...

[Edited at 2014-10-05 05:57 GMT]

Thanks Gitte. I don't enjoy extending the contest any more than participants enjoy having it extended. The problem is that, in pairs where a good rating ratio has not been reached, there is no indication that a voting ratio that clearly determines a winner can be reached either. In some pairs ratings have gone up and a few are now ready to move on to finals, while others have not changed. It is possible that some pairs will remain in the qualification stage if not enough people are willing to rate entries.

There has been some resistance to peer rating entries among participants, but the fact is that ProZ.com translation contests work on peer evaluation, rating and voting. So thanks for adding your ratings to the mix!

I am going to continue to promote rating and voting for all pairs, regardless of whether they are in qualification or finals, and I would encourage participants to do what they can to spread the word as well, and to add ratings in their language pair(s).

Susana E. Cano Méndez
    Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
    Spain
    French to Spanish
    + ...
    Many variants Oct 26, 2014

Hello Jared.

I think in FR>ES pair, along with the problem that maybe there are not as many translators than in EN>ES, there is also the problem of variants. As a Spaniard, I have only rated texts in Spanish from Spain. That's maybe the reason why this pair is under-represented in final round. May I rate other variants? I can easily see if a word is a variant expression or plainly an error (or a MT, sadly).

Greetings.

Jared Tabor
    Jared Tabor
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    Absolutely, Susana Oct 26, 2014

Yes, you can rate any entries in your pair that you wish. The variant information may be of use to some raters, but there is no obligation to limit your ratings to a given variant in your pair. And thanks for rating!

philgoddard
    philgoddard
    United States
    German to English
    + ...
    In most of my language pairs Oct 27, 2014

there are too many entries and too few raters. Last time I looked, there were a lot of good entries that hadn't been rated at all, which seems unfair on the people who went to the trouble of submitting them.

Erik Freitag
    Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
    Germany
    Member (2006)
    Dutch to German
    + ...
    Rating vs. Tagging and Maths Oct 27, 2014

philgoddard wrote:

Last time I looked, there were a lot of good entries that hadn't been rated at all,

As far as I know, you can't tell wether an entry has been rated or not. What you can see is wether it has been tagged. Tagging, however, has no direct influence on rating (although it may have an indirect influence by inducing bias in other peers rating the entries).

philgoddard wrote:
    which seems unfair on the people who went to the trouble of submitting them.

Mathematically, it isn't, as it's the average rating that counts, although of course it only makes sense to use an average value when the number of ratings is large enough. Anyway, you could say it is morally unfair to deprive the participants from feedback.

Samuel Murray
    Netherlands
    Member (2006)
    English to Afrikaans
    + ...
    Two issues (no, three) Oct 27, 2014

1. In my language combination, none of the translators spotted a source text error, and simply translated it blindly. It would have been better if I could tag this in the source text instead of tagging it in one of the translations (likely the first in the list).

2. Is there no way to see the source text and translation side by side? The current view means that only the uppermost translation can be compared to the source text. The other translations can't be compared to the sourc
    ... See more
    1. In my language combination, none of the translators spotted a source text error, and simply translated it blindly. It would have been better if I could tag this in the source text instead of tagging it in one of the translations (likely the first in the list).

2. Is there no way to see the source text and translation side by side? The current view means that only the uppermost translation can be compared to the source text. The other translations can't be compared to the source text except with excessive scrolling up and down (and fine motor skills in the mouse hand), so they're going to be judged more on beauty than on fidelity.

3. One of the translations is a Google Translation with very limited editing (serious grammar errors that are typical specifically of Google Translate). It would have been great if I could write a general comment about that translation general, instead of having to put my comments in a "tag" that tags a random word in it.

[Edited at 2014-10-27 08:40 GMT]
    Collapse

Samuel Murray
    Netherlands
    Member (2006)
    English to Afrikaans
    + ...
    Oh, must we RATE the entries? Oct 27, 2014

Erik Freitag wrote:
    philgoddard wrote:
    Last time I looked, there were a lot of good entries that hadn't been rated at all...

As far as I know, you can't tell wether an entry has been rated or not. What you can see is wether it has been tagged.

Aaah, so we must RATE the entries (i.e. give them stars)? So, I just wasted a lot of time adding tags and agreeing/disagreeing, when what was really required was for me to give STARS to the efforts?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finals round voting now open in the annual translation contest

TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
    Anycount & Translation Office 3000
    Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »