Translation contest: "Poetry with a tune" qualification and finals rounds now open
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 06:15
SITE STAFF
Jan 15, 2014

Thanks to everyone who has participated in the latest translation contest so far by submitting an entry.

Today is the start of the qualification round for some language pairs, and the start of finals voting for others. Other language pairs have not yet received enough entries to move forward, and submissions remain open until they receive at least three entries.

The following pairs have received f
... See more
Thanks to everyone who has participated in the latest translation contest so far by submitting an entry.

Today is the start of the qualification round for some language pairs, and the start of finals voting for others. Other language pairs have not yet received enough entries to move forward, and submissions remain open until they receive at least three entries.

The following pairs have received fewer than three entries and are still open for submissions. If you translate in one of these pairs and have not done so already, you are invited to submit a translation for "Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down":

• English to Afrikaans
  • English to Estonian
  • English to Icelandic
  • English to Latin
  • English to Macedonian
  • English to Malay
  • English to Maltese
  • English to Panjabi
  • English to Slovenian
  • English to Thai
  • English to Vietnamese

These pairs have moved into the qualification round, and entries can now be rated to help determine finalists. Note that you can rate entries as well as the segments in each entry. The qualification round will end on January 29th:

• English to Arabic
  • English to French
  • English to German
  • English to Italian
  • English to Japanese
  • English to Portuguese (BR)
  • English to Portuguese (EU)
  • English to Russian
  • English to Serbian
  • English to Spanish

And these language pairs have moved directly to the finals round, where voting is now open (along with commenting and rating). Finals voting will end on February 12th:

• English to Belarusian
  • English to Bulgarian
  • English to Chinese
  • English to Croatian
  • English to Czech
  • English to Dutch
  • English to Greek
  • English to Hindi
  • English to Hungarian
  • English to Indonesian
  • English to Korean
  • English to Romanian
  • English to Slovak
  • English to Swedish
  • English to Turkish
  • English to Ukrainian

Good luck to everyone participating with an entry!

• 16/01/14: Updated, English to Belarusian and English to Dutch moved to finals.
  • 17/01/14: Updated, English to Croatian and English to Ukrainian moved to finals. ▲ Collapse

•  
    Sheila Wilson
    Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
    Spain
    Local time: 09:15
    Member (2007)
    English
    + ...
    Please, please, please!!! Jan 15, 2014

Somebody translate this song into Latin!

Josephine Cassar
    Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
    Malta
    Local time: 10:15
    Member (2012)
    English to Maltese
    + ...
    Into Latin Jan 15, 2014

where is the Like Button Sheila? How I would press it right now!! haha, have to be content with this though

Václav Pinkava
    Václav Pinkava  Identity Verified
    United Kingdom
    Local time: 09:15
    Czech to English
    + ...
    Latin Jan 15, 2014

Maybe uncle Google and auntie Bing could help on that one

Jared Tabor
    Jared Tabor
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    Somebody already did Jan 15, 2014

There is one entry for English to Latin, and if we are lucky someone out there will be able to sing it to the music of the song, preferably in the voice of Johnny Cash. Two more entries and the pair moves to the finals round.

Iwona Szymaniak
    Iwona Szymaniak  Identity Verified
    Poland
    English to Polish
    + ...
    SITE LOCALIZER
    Polish Jan 16, 2014

Jared, how come, I can't see Polish on any of your lists.

LilianNekipelov
    LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
    United States
    Local time: 05:15
    Russian to English
    + ...
    Horror Jan 16, 2014

Václav Pinkava wrote:

Maybe uncle Google and auntie Bing could help on that one

You cannot be serious--Google translating songs? That might be good instead of watching a horror movie. There are still people who know Latin well, believe me or not.

It is an extremely difficult song to translate, in my opinion, even for a human being, due to its cultural context and ambiguities, which are hard to retain in another language.

It's a great song, by the way, like all his songs. I am not sure if links are allowed here, but let's try http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED5s1-Fe9FA

[Edited at 2014-01-16 10:41 GMT]

Jared Tabor
    Jared Tabor
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    A contest language pair is created when an entry is made for that pair Jan 16, 2014

IwonaASzymaniak wrote:

Jared, how come, I can't see Polish on any of your lists.

A language pair in the contest is only created if at least one person makes an entry for that pair. In this case, no one did so for English to Polish.

Manuela Dal Castello
    Manuela Dal Castello  Identity Verified
    Italy
    English to Italian
    + ...
    Why different notation rules than previous contests? Jan 16, 2014

Hi,

I find it's a pity one cannot judge the full translated text, moreover the original was full of internal rhymes, recalls within one line and another and it would be interesting to check consistency both about wording and about style.

Also, why is it not possible to comment on a single translated segment?
    Unless I'm wrong, one can only add "general comments" to one original segment, but not to a translated one.
    If one wants to discuss a peculiar translati
    ... See more
    Hi,

I find it's a pity one cannot judge the full translated text, moreover the original was full of internal rhymes, recalls within one line and another and it would be interesting to check consistency both about wording and about style.

Also, why is it not possible to comment on a single translated segment?
    Unless I'm wrong, one can only add "general comments" to one original segment, but not to a translated one.
    If one wants to discuss a peculiar translation choice, this does not work with the present noting system, while it worked well in previous contests.
    Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
    Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
    United States
    Local time: 05:15
    Member (2002)
    English to Hungarian
    + ...
    Entry in wrong language pair - support request already sent, to no avail Jan 18, 2014

There is an entry among the Hungarian translations that is not Hungarian, looks like Indonesian. I sent in a support request on Jan 15 (two days ago), nobody replied.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation contest: "Poetry with a tune" qualification and finals rounds now open

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
    The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
    Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »