Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:50
English
+ ...
Sure, but Mar 7, 2013

NataliaShevchuk wrote:

It seems to be an absolute axiom that all participants submitting entries should have bothered to prepare their texts in a "minimally professional" manner, i. e. have them proofread, edited, checked etc. The peers are entitled to evaluate the entries free of typos, elementary errors and inconsistencies, aren't they?.. If a person fearlessly submits something looking like a machine-translated crap, just because he/she has an option to stay anonymous, - what respect we are talking about? Therefore, I'd suggest eliminating the option of unticking the box "Show my name with my entry after voting closes, even if I do not win". Such practice encourages people to participate in contest just on a "hit-or-miss" basis. When it's over, all masks should be taken off.

But we are precisely talking about pieces that we checked before submission and still got ridiculous comments. How do you feel if you checked and checked your pieces and then someone came along and said your text didn’t make sense because the person who commented on your entry just highlighted some random section of your text, starting from the middle of a random word and ending at the middle of a random word?

Yes, you read it correctly. Some of these random comments don’t even start at the middle of a random sentence; they just randomly choose a word, cut it in half at a random place, and call it an error.

NataliaShevchuk
NataliaShevchuk  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:50
English to Russian
+ ...
The only thing one can do in this situation Mar 7, 2013

Ambrose Li wrote:
Some of these random comments don’t even start at the middle of a random sentence; they just randomly choose a word, cut it in half at a random place, and call it an error.

- imho, to check the entry on a daily basis, parrying these blows immediately (if you have a good answer) and turning them against attackers. This helps to minimize and even neutralize dislike tags. And, be sure, these people are your anonymous competitors. What else they can do, besides failing others, in order to rise to the surface?

[Edited at 2013-03-07 20:53 GMT]

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:50
Not politics Mar 7, 2013

Ritareis wrote:

I am a bit disappointed about the contest. As it is my first time, only now have I realised there isn’t a set group of people assessing all the submitted texts and it’s people randomly tagging the different translations as they please. My problem is that sometimes you see different texts with expressions translated exactly the same way, but one will get a green tag and the other will get a red one.
I’m getting the impression there is a lot of politics going on.

I do not think it is politics. This was the first time I had entered the competition too.

In the Fr-En pair, there were 56 submissions. From what I could discern, there were only about 6 different people who evaluated *all* submissions as uniformly as possible. There were probably another 4 or 5 people who tagged some things, or disagreed with disagreements, or agreed with agreements, and may not have even read all submissions.

So, at best, there were about 12 people who reviewed 56 submissions.
The point is, I would have expected a lot more participation in this phase of the competition.

The issue of the same translation getting both a green tag and a red tag: it could be two different reviewers - or the same person, who has a very short memory!

What I found incredible is that over the space of 300 words, no one got a clean slate from anybody! I take encouragement from that fact: we are all human after all.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The most important thing about translation tagging is respect

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »