11th ProZ.com translation contest, submission open
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 02:08
SITE STAFF
Jan 10, 2013

Hello all,

As you may already know, the 11th ProZ.com translation contest currently underway and in the submission phase. If you have not checked it out already, please have a look and consider submitting an entry. The theme of this contest is "Contemporary society" and source texts are available in English, French, Spanish, Basque, Bu
... See more
Hello all,

As you may already know, the 11th ProZ.com translation contest currently underway and in the submission phase. If you have not checked it out already, please have a look and consider submitting an entry. The theme of this contest is "Contemporary society" and source texts are available in English, French, Spanish, Basque, Bulgarian, Georgian and Indonesian:

http://www.proz.com/translation-contests/

Good luck to all the participants!

Jared
Collapse

Chéli Rioboo
Chéli Rioboo
France
Local time: 07:08
Spanish to French
+ ...
Pas d'italien ... Jan 10, 2013

Désolée, je ne suis pas anglophone (et si, il reste des irréductibles !). J'aurais adoré participer, mais pas d'italien cette fois, quel dommage ! Vraiment dommage ! J'ai déjà remporté l'espagnol, je laisse la place aux autres cette année.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:08
Italian to English
Ditto Jan 11, 2013

Had been looking forward to this long awaited resumption of competitions.

Like Chéli, I am "désolée" there is no source text in Italian.

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
And I am "désolée" that there is no text in Jan 11, 2013

Dutch.

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Yes but Jan 11, 2013

Russell Jones wrote:

Had been looking forward to this long awaited resumption of competitions.

Like Chéli, I am "désolée" there is no source text in Italian.

I remember the original piece of "Italian" they selected last time for the contest

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Joining the choir Jan 11, 2013

Suzan Hamer wrote:

And I am "désolée" that there is no text in Dutch.

I am "peeved" that there's no text in Hebrew.

(I would have said "désolée" but my knowledge of French is lacking and I suspect "désolée" is feminine and I'm not sure how to make it masculine, don't I just knock off an "e" = désolé?).

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 02:08
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
On source texts Jan 11, 2013

Hi all,

Efforts are made to collect source texts in as many languages as possible. For most languages, especially languages site staff do not speak, the assistance of members of the community is sought. And my thanks to all of the members who assisted in this process this time around! The criteria for selecting an appropriate text can sometimes make it not-so-easy to locate a text in some languages (for example, there are considerations of length, "completeness" of excerpts, difficu
... See more
Hi all,

Efforts are made to collect source texts in as many languages as possible. For most languages, especially languages site staff do not speak, the assistance of members of the community is sought. And my thanks to all of the members who assisted in this process this time around! The criteria for selecting an appropriate text can sometimes make it not-so-easy to locate a text in some languages (for example, there are considerations of length, "completeness" of excerpts, difficulty, or the potential to translate some phrases or sentences in various manners, etc.). It should also fit within the theme of the contest it will appear in, and previous translations of it should not readily be available. Texts are suggested, evaluated, run by others who were not involved in the selection.

Then of course permission must be sought to use a text, unless it is for example out of copyright. Unfortunately, for several languages, this turned out to be an obstacle this time around. In other languages suitable texts could not be located in time.

How many would be willing to suggest source texts in their native language for future contests? If there is interest, I can post some guidelines/criteria used in searching for and selecting texts. It is possible that with more eyes on the lookout for suitable texts, there will be less désolée-tion (?) in the next edition of the contest.
Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 13:08
Chinese to English
You can always reverse your pair Jan 11, 2013

I've entered doing English to Chinese - it's just a fun exercise, after all!

Nathan Takase
Nathan Takase  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:08
Japanese to English
+ ...
Disappointing Jan 11, 2013

It seems that the contest was open for quite some time before anything was mentioned about it here in the forums, newsletters, etc. I would guess that many of us lack the time or inclination to check the contests section daily just in case a new contest happens to have begun. When I noticed it, the deadline was near and I just gave up, although now it seems to have been set back.

Even more disappointing is the fact that apparently there weren't enough votes in the Yogi Berra contest
... See more
It seems that the contest was open for quite some time before anything was mentioned about it here in the forums, newsletters, etc. I would guess that many of us lack the time or inclination to check the contests section daily just in case a new contest happens to have begun. When I noticed it, the deadline was near and I just gave up, although now it seems to have been set back.

Even more disappointing is the fact that apparently there weren't enough votes in the Yogi Berra contest to produce winners in Japanese (despite a reasonable turnout of entries), and I would guess in many other languages as well. This means that the page remains in a state of what would seem to be limbo, with a message about announcing winners soon that is misleading. The translators put a lot of effort into their entries, and then they couldn't even discuss the results as was done in languages with winners. People like me who spent a good amount of time rating all entries and every single segment are probably wondering what it was all for.

There were a good number of entries for one of the more minor languages, but the overwhelming lack of anything resulting from it is probably why there is currently only 1 entry for Japanese in the new contest. I certainly don't plan to put the effort into making an entry that I can be fairly sure will end up hidden on a not-enough-votes limbo page. ProZ doesn't seem to care much about these contests or promoting them, and the languages that were allowed to fail in the beta will probably simply remain dormant as a result.
Collapse

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:08
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
source texts are limited Jan 12, 2013

Next time there's a contest can you please include a Russian source text. I would very much like to take part in this contest.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:08
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
No German either Jan 12, 2013

Probably I should attempt Georgian? I'm eager to get to know what the text was about. We all should start using the Georgian alphabet, it is the most beautiful of them all.

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Probably Jan 12, 2013

Jared wrote:
If there is interest, I can post some guidelines/criteria used in searching for and selecting texts.

...a good idea.

Magdalena Balibrea Vich
Magdalena Balibrea Vich  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why do you keep pushing back the deadline? Jan 15, 2013

I find it pretty annoying, you have already changed it like 5 times, are you just fooling us all?

I did my best to submit all my entries (5) well before the first deadline, which was 3 January, and I have the feeling I have been plain teased since the current deadline is 23 January and will likely be changed again when the date arrives...

Please try to establish a realistic deadline from the very beginning next time and do not play games on us ever again!

[Edite
... See more
I find it pretty annoying, you have already changed it like 5 times, are you just fooling us all?

I did my best to submit all my entries (5) well before the first deadline, which was 3 January, and I have the feeling I have been plain teased since the current deadline is 23 January and will likely be changed again when the date arrives...

Please try to establish a realistic deadline from the very beginning next time and do not play games on us ever again!

[Edited at 2013-01-15 21:36 GMT]
Collapse

Tomas Zahradnicek
Tomas Zahradnicek  Identity Verified
English to Czech
next time make sure community knows and stop extending the deadline Jan 16, 2013

I agree with previous poster. The repeated extension of deadline is outrageous and nothing short of scam. Reminds me of those discount offers I keep seeing everywhere: "You only have until xxx to take advantage of this great one time offer" and when you get to that site after the said date they suddenly have new date, and so on. If somebody can't meet the deadline, let them sit out and take the next contest, it's not the end of the world for crying out loud.

[Edited at 2013-01-16 00:27 GM
... See more
I agree with previous poster. The repeated extension of deadline is outrageous and nothing short of scam. Reminds me of those discount offers I keep seeing everywhere: "You only have until xxx to take advantage of this great one time offer" and when you get to that site after the said date they suddenly have new date, and so on. If somebody can't meet the deadline, let them sit out and take the next contest, it's not the end of the world for crying out loud.

[Edited at 2013-01-16 00:27 GMT]
Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 13:08
Chinese to English
It's not the end of the world Jan 16, 2013

Actually, extending the deadline has proved to be a very effective way of getting more people to enter, which is great from my perspective. There were only 2 Chinese entries, now there are 6, so we can have a real competition and a real winner.

It's a harmless bit of psychological trickery, and the rest of us lose nothing by it. Good work.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

11th ProZ.com translation contest, submission open

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »