Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 18:30
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 20, 2012

Ali Bayraktar wrote:
Accuracy of Translation and Quality of Writing.
Both are the artistic skills.
Which means that it is like a fingerprint.

So I found all opposite opinions very unreasonable here.
But as I am not a native speaker of English and use it only as a source language, I can not present a strong position here.

In painting classes some children tend to hide what they are painting.
I think everyone knows the reason why they do that and teachers in long terms try to change that behavior.
The same situation applies here.

Thanks for your feedback, Ali!

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Additional pairs have been advanced: Serbian, Dutch, Portuguese, Arabic, Romanian Oct 20, 2012

OK, folks, now that we have two new features, we are ready to move forward in a handful of additional pairs.

Now in the "qualification round" are:

- Serbian
- Dutch
- Portuguese (both BR and EU)
- Arabic
- Romanian

In the above languages, it is possible to rate both on a segment-by-segment, and on an entry-by-entry basis. You don't have to rate all entries, and you don't have to rate all segments. Do as many or as few as you want. B
... See more
OK, folks, now that we have two new features, we are ready to move forward in a handful of additional pairs.

Now in the "qualification round" are:

- Serbian
- Dutch
- Portuguese (both BR and EU)
- Arabic
- Romanian

In the above languages, it is possible to rate both on a segment-by-segment, and on an entry-by-entry basis. You don't have to rate all entries, and you don't have to rate all segments. Do as many or as few as you want. But for the purposes of this testing round, we'll appreciate if you do some of both, and provide feedback on the experience.

Also, when rating on a segment-by-segment basis, although it is not required by the system, I'd ask that you please rate all (or mostly all) of the translations that are available for that segment. In other words, if you are choosing between rating a few translations for all segments, and rating all translations for a few segments, please do the latter.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
There is a bug preventing rating in Eng to Br. Portuguese Oct 20, 2012

I have been informed that a bug is preventing rating in Eng to Por (BR). Sorry for that!

We'll try to get that fixed as soon as possible.

Matt Petrowski
Matt Petrowski
United States
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Rating in Portuguese (BR) fixed Oct 20, 2012

Henry Dotterer wrote:

I have been informed that a bug is preventing rating in Eng to Por (BR). Sorry for that!

This bug has been fixed; rating is now possible.

Matt

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Some testers Oct 20, 2012

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Henry,

I think it would be necessary to chose 3 or 5 testers during each contest.
Or you may assign contest moderators in main language pairs.
Their moderating rights may begin with contest announcement and end with the announcement of winners.
Together with winners you may announce who were the moderators.

They may provide everyday tests such as voting, rating, browser compatibility, privacy, etc.
They even may search suspicious activities.

You should choose those testers among the users.
Because you are site staff.
You think and act like site staff.
And can not know all details among the users' world.

Just a suggestion...

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:30
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
On scoring: been there, done that Oct 20, 2012

I chose the segments view, which possibly involves more work, however makes it easier to assess each phrase separately by comparison than doing it on the entire performance of each contestant as a whole, even if taking one phrase at a time.

Maybe it's some after-effect the use of CAT tools has in the deep inside machinery within our brain: we get used to consider, translate, analyze, and therefore assess one segment at a time.

However as the whole thing is processed by
... See more
I chose the segments view, which possibly involves more work, however makes it easier to assess each phrase separately by comparison than doing it on the entire performance of each contestant as a whole, even if taking one phrase at a time.

Maybe it's some after-effect the use of CAT tools has in the deep inside machinery within our brain: we get used to consider, translate, analyze, and therefore assess one segment at a time.

However as the whole thing is processed by computers, when I returned to the I general view, I expected to have all my scores computed into each contestant's points. It was not there.

Should it be? I think so. However I'd suggest the composite score for each contestant be editable, so that the grader has one last chance to give (or take) some points on each contestant's overall performance.

I also made some comments on specific challenges and/or statistics on choices for each phrase. The char counter/limiter there is working okay (on Chrome). However I tried all three options, i.e. entering a comment while scores were blank, halfway filled, and completed, and my very first comment was always marked as "edited". Should be a minor glitch to fix.

Looking ahead, there is the risk that the winner in quality of writing will be different from the one in accuracy of translation. Beware, Henry!

To illustrate, once I was translating a book that had a rather long quote from another one. This other one had been translated by Machado de Assis, an icon in Brazilian literature. Well, MA of course would get an A+ in quality of writing, however he'd fail miserably in accuracy, at least in that specific case. I had to translate it again. Such a genius couldn't let go the chance of rewriting a book while translating it, hence there is the risk of having other geniuses on the loose here.

Back to my comment on segmentation, I would suggest - if my idea of letting computers automate the adding parts to make a whole is accepted - to use this segmented process (as an option) for all contests. It becomes an interesting learning experience to compare how different translators handled the very same segment. This learning is more than fair compensation to any translator for the work in scoring these submissions.

NOTE: I think I might have put this on the wrong thread. Did I?

[Edited at 2012-10-20 14:47 GMT]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, José Henrique Oct 20, 2012

Great feedback, José Henrique. (And interesting comments in the pair!)

You posted to the correct thread. But now that you mention it, it is probably worth opening a new thread to discuss rating-by-segment specifically. I've done that: http://www.proz.com/topic/235664

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Now possible to comment on translations of segments in all pairs Oct 22, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
Henry Dotterer wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
So we can only vote, but we can't comment (not on individual segments, and not on the translation as a whole), right?

We'll add the ability to comment on segments.

Will this ability be added for this contest, or only for the next contest?

OK, it is now possible to make comments related to the translation of a given segment into any pair.

This functionality parallels that of source text commentary. Only in this case, instead of making comments on the source text segment, in way visible to raters in all pairs, you make comment specifics to the translations of segments into a certain pair.

Comments of this sort, which can be agreed with and disagreed with just like commentary on the source text, appear only to other raters in the specific pair.

An example of such a comment is this one concerning the translation of one of the quotes into Brazilian Portuguese: "Kudoz to the ONE contestant who did NOT specify the *right* arm. One of the features in PT-BR is to make things simpler. The catch here is that for an ambidextrous person, it doesn't matter which arm is missing any more..." . See: http://www.proz.com/translation-contests/pair/1666/segment_rating

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:30
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
One bug Oct 22, 2012

Henry Dotterer wrote:
OK, it is now possible to make comments related to the translation of a given segment into any pair.

One bug: if a segment starts with an apostrophe, the apostrophe is chopped off. Did you guys use Excel, by any chance?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A new feature for this contest: group commentary on the source text

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »