Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
"Mini-contest" launched (on new "beta" contests platform)
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Local time: 21:20
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Empty page Sep 28, 2012

I found that the page appears empty on Internet Explorer, it works okay in Mozilla Firefox.

Kind regards
Anna

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 16:20
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Anna Sep 28, 2012

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro wrote:

I found that the page appears empty on Internet Explorer, it works okay in Mozilla Firefox.

Kind regards
Anna

Thank you! We'll have a look at this. Can you tell me what version you are using?

lidija68
lidija68  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
source language Sep 28, 2012

and the source language is only english?

Thierry Bourguet
Thierry Bourguet  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Clever question! Sep 28, 2012

Attila Piróth wrote:

Hi Henry,

Quite a challenge; I'm sure participants will have a lot of fun.

Could you clarify the copyright status of this selection of quotes? Did ProZ obtain their full translation and publication rights into hundreds of languages from Yogi Berra, and is ProZ in the position to pass these rights on to translators - so that they can publish their translations on their websites, which can be a useful addition to their portfolio?

Best,
Attila

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Browser Sep 28, 2012

Thank you! We'll have a look at this. Can you tell me what version you are using?

The latest versions of both.

Matt Petrowski
Matt Petrowski
United States
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
IE issues fixed Sep 28, 2012

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro wrote:

Kind regards
Anna

The page should now appear correctly in Internet Explorer; thank you for reporting the issue.

Matt

Ramey Rieger (X)
Ramey Rieger (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Yippee!!! Sep 28, 2012

Goody, goody; boyoboy; cool!
Let's have some fun!

After two years of membership, kudoz battle scars and trophies, and just plain hard work, I'm thrilled gaga!

Thanks Henry and of course anyone else involved!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:20
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
At last! Sep 28, 2012

Are other languages to follow or the mini-contest is limited to English? Best regards,

Teresa

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
English source only this time around Sep 28, 2012

Teresa Borges wrote:

Are other languages to follow or the mini-contest is limited to English?

Hi Teresa,

No, we planned only English for this "mini-contest". Sorry!

Matt Petrowski
Matt Petrowski
United States
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Small pairs now allowing submissions from non-members Sep 28, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

Perhaps you should allow non-paying members to participate without having any assistance of paying members, in small languages.

We have made this change. Language pairs with comparatively few paying members are now open for submission for all registered users. Thank you for the suggestion.

Matt

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Okay, next request... get the word out Sep 29, 2012

Matt Petrowski wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
Perhaps you should allow non-paying members to participate without having any assistance of paying members, in small languages.

We have made this change. Language pairs with comparatively few paying members are now open for submission for all registered users.

Thanks. Now the next thing woulkd be to inform those people that there is a contest. With the previous contest, I simply sent an e-mail to all translators in my small language who qualified for participation, but this year I'm resident of a country with tougher spam laws, and I can't do that.

How will you inform small language users of the contest? In fact, how are any ProZ.com members informed of the contest? As far as I know, there is no monthly Proz.com e-newsletter with info about the latest events and features.

I guess an alternative would be to have a "What's new at ProZ.com" box near the top of all profile pages (only in private view) that always contains any recent news about new features or events. What will you do?

Samuel

[Edited at 2012-09-29 06:29 GMT]

satish krishna itikela
satish krishna itikela  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:50
Member (2011)
English to Telugu
+ ...
I want to participate. Sep 29, 2012

Hi Henry,

I want to participate in the mini translation contest, my language pair is not listed in the language section. Could it be possible to add my language so that i can participate.

Best regards,
Satish.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Direct link for Telugu Sep 29, 2012

satish krishna itikela wrote:
I want to participate in the mini translation contest, my language pair is not listed in the language section. Could it be possible to add my language so that i can participate.

Sorry. There should be a "more languages" link, but there is not. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

For now, for Telugu (right?), please use this link: http://www.proz.com/translation-contests/entry/submit?contest_text_id=190&target_lang=tel

One thing to consider is the possibility that there will not be three entries in the pair. We will invite other Telugu translators, and I would ask you to consider inviting others as well. But it may be that in the end there will be fewer than three entries. In that case, a "winner" would not be declared in your pair, but your translation would be visible, with your name if you choose to show that, and others would be able to enter feedback on an ongoing basis.

If anyone would like the link for submitting a translation that is not shown in the pull-down menu, please request it here.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Please help let people know in ways that are appropriate Sep 29, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
How will you inform small language users of the contest? In fact, how are any ProZ.com members informed of the contest?

Thanks for helping out in the past. Please do consider helping to put word out again, in ways that are appropriate and in line with the laws in your new home. (Inviting other Afrikaans translators you know personally? "Liking", "Tweeting", or similar?)

For our part, we do do our best to let translators know. Links have been placed, and more will appear, here and there throughout the site. Plus, there is a subscriber list for contest notifications (that I've emailed already.)

We'll do our best, concerning ourselves especially with bringing in the minimum of three entries, in language pairs in which there is at least one.
As far as I know, there is no monthly Proz.com e-newsletter with info about the latest events and features.

Actually, there is, sent by Jared. Have you not received it?

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:20
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
I don't get it Sep 29, 2012

I understand that you are taking the variants issue seriously, to avoid the unpleasant situation discussed in this ancient thread:
http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translation_contests/122642-voting_is_inconsistent_in_english_to_chinese_and_english_to_portuguese.html

However what puzzles me is:
Note: ProZ.com membership is required to enter the competition in certain language pairs. Hide details

Only ProZ.com members may submit entries in pairs in which the member population is large enough to support competition. Those pairs are:

... English to Portuguese (EU), Portuguese (EU) to English ...

If you look at this chart, you'll see that Brazil represents 77% of the population in all countries where Portuguese is the official language. All other 7 countries there use the European variant (PT-EU or PT-PT), with some regional variations. Brazil uses its own (PT-BR).

Is the EN translators on Proz/inhabitant ratio so disparagingly higher in these 7 countries to overturn the Brazilian population?

Right now the submissions count in PT-BR/PT-PT ratio is 2:1.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Mini-contest" launched (on new "beta" contests platform)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »