MICADINA (X)
MICADINA (X)
Spain
Local time: 08:10
Spanish to French
+ ...
I agree 100% (or more) with Sheila's comments Sep 29, 2009

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I'm all for the translation contest, but it seems to me that this part of the system has not been lovingly developed like most of ProZ - it seems to have got to the point of "well, that sort of works", then left.

If there's time and money in the budget before the next contest, perhaps this area could be tweaked a little. Suggestions and/or observed limitations:-

1. I received over 200 emails today - one for every tag comment! Fortunately, with Gmail they get bunched together so I didn't have to select each one for deletion. Not surprisingly, I didn't check each and every one, so if any are notifying me that my comment has been rejected, I'll never know. Please, please - just send rejections.

2. When you have original text and translation side-by-side, the tags cover the source and you can no longer see it - not very helpful at all.

3. Each time you select text for tagging, you have to then scroll to below the text to click on the agree/disagree icon. I don't know the technical limitations here, but that's a lot of scrolling.

4. Another scrolling limitation is that, once tagged, the text redisplays from the top. If you are tagging text near the bottom, again this is annoying - could it not return to the line tagged? BTW, I realise that this may not be a problem for all users (I have a rather small screen) but I doubt that I'm the only person affected.

5. When you enter a comment, a list comes up for you to choose already-entered text. "Great" I thought, until I discovered that these are KudoZ comments and my comments were not being carried from one entry to another. It's a frustrating timewaster to key in an identical remark 10-15 times, especially when it seems it ought to be easier.

6. It seems that you cannot normally edit your tag and/or comment - only delete it.

7. If you select an identical piece of text to an existing tagged piece, you will be informed. However, if the previous tag was the tiniest bit different (eg a comma included), it doesn't let you know until you've entered it, so you then have to delete yours and agree with the existing entry. Could we be advised if there is any overlap at all? Perhaps by highlighting the already-tagged text as soon as the mouse is on it?

8. Sometimes, the system prevents you from selecting a piece of text. An example was the word "good" which I found wrongly used twice in one paragraph, for different reasons. I really wanted to tag both but was not allowed to.

9. Personal notes can be added, but these cannot be made visible. IMO, these could be useful to the translator, as more general feedback eg style, register, terminology of the whole text.

10. As suggested elsewhere in the forum, although we obviously shouldn't vote for and tag our own submissions, it would be useful to be able to react to comments - one person has asked a specific question that I would like to address and can't.

11. How can I easily find my own submission? I'm obviously interested in the comments from others. Could we have a "My own submission" quick link, please?

I'm sure everyone agrees that that's quite enough for now! Sorry And, please, don't get the impression that I'm really fed up - it's just that I was a systems analyst in a former life and I think this area needs some TLC.

I completely agree with your comments and proposals of improvement. This is the first time that I take part in a contest but all what is said here was also true for me, so it might be a good idea to improve a few things for the next one. Please take it as a positive critic as I DO enjoy a lot this site, I find it very helpful for my translations and people really help with their answers.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:10
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Micadina Sep 30, 2009

Thanks for your input, Micadina. I imagine the ProZ staff are quite well aware now that there are problems with this area of the site as there have been a lot of technical hitches that wouldn't have happened if the programming had been robust.

I, too, like the site a lot and find an awful lot more that's right with it than wrong with it.

Still, it never hurts to strive for perfection, does it? Perhaps if
... See more
Thanks for your input, Micadina. I imagine the ProZ staff are quite well aware now that there are problems with this area of the site as there have been a lot of technical hitches that wouldn't have happened if the programming had been robust.

I, too, like the site a lot and find an awful lot more that's right with it than wrong with it.

Still, it never hurts to strive for perfection, does it? Perhaps if there are sufficient calls for corrections, improvements, additions, developments to the site, ProZ will employ more staff. More jobs = less unemployment = more money to spend = increased demand = even more jobs = the end of this economic crisis.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestions for tweaks for the next contest

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »