Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
9th ProZ.com translation contest: Business. Qualification and final voting phases will start soon
Thread poster: Lucia Leszinsky
Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 12:06
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
That's quick!!!! Sep 24, 2009

Yesterday, in the English to Spanish language combination of this contest, only one of the participants had been ruled out, leaving us with 74 translations to rate.

Today, I wake up and 60 had been ruled out; wasn't that too quick? I realized that all those translations that didn't have any "Like" mark were eliminated. The number of "Dislike" marks varied widely between one version and another but that didn't matter; if a person had 15 dislikes, his/her version was eliminated on th
... See more
Yesterday, in the English to Spanish language combination of this contest, only one of the participants had been ruled out, leaving us with 74 translations to rate.

Today, I wake up and 60 had been ruled out; wasn't that too quick? I realized that all those translations that didn't have any "Like" mark were eliminated. The number of "Dislike" marks varied widely between one version and another but that didn't matter; if a person had 15 dislikes, his/her version was eliminated on the same day than a person with only 2 or 3 dislikes.

I believe that eliminating one translation on the first day and 60 the next one, was a too-sudden decision. There should have been something gradually, like:

1st day = 5
2nd day = 10
3rd day = 15

and so on...

[Edited at 2009-09-24 12:59 GMT]
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Entries are ruled out when the average rating proves they cannot win Sep 24, 2009

Hello Christina,

As explained in the contest FAQs, entries in qualification phase are removed from contention when it becomes clear that they have no reasonable chance of winning (regardless of the time in which this is determined). Such assessment is made based on the average rating received from peers (relative to that assigned to other entries), after some minimum number of votes.

Hope this explains.
... See more
Hello Christina,

As explained in the contest FAQs, entries in qualification phase are removed from contention when it becomes clear that they have no reasonable chance of winning (regardless of the time in which this is determined). Such assessment is made based on the average rating received from peers (relative to that assigned to other entries), after some minimum number of votes.

Hope this explains.

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:06
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Christina, the Like/Dislike tags are NOT the ratings Sep 24, 2009

Christina,
The Like/Dislike tags we can see are NOT the ratings. Ratings are placed by clicking on the stars (for "Quality of Writing" and "Accuracy"), and nobody can see those. The tags are just to indicate Likes and Dislikes, mainly to communicate with other people who look at the entry - the actual rating is different.
What I am saying is that even though you see only a few tags, there could be many more people rating the entry, without placing any tags. Usually there is a correl
... See more
Christina,
The Like/Dislike tags we can see are NOT the ratings. Ratings are placed by clicking on the stars (for "Quality of Writing" and "Accuracy"), and nobody can see those. The tags are just to indicate Likes and Dislikes, mainly to communicate with other people who look at the entry - the actual rating is different.
What I am saying is that even though you see only a few tags, there could be many more people rating the entry, without placing any tags. Usually there is a correlation, especially if a lot of people participate in the evaluation, but you really cannot draw straight conclusions based on just the tags.
Katalin
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:06
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Who can see tags? Sep 24, 2009

Lucia, I can only see tags for the language in which I'm allowed to vote. I would love to see tags in other languages as well, eg. languages that I'm interested in but are not allowed to vote in. What is the policy on this?

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Suggestion is under evaulation Sep 24, 2009

Hello Samuel,

Note that this has already been suggested here. And as explained previously, I will see what can be done, but I cannot promise this will be implemented for the current contest.

Thanks for understanding.

Regards,

Lucia

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Tags are visible depending on the language pair Sep 24, 2009

I forgot to mention in my last post that the policy regarding tags is that they are visible to all members and users for the language pairs reported in their profiles. This means that for a user to see the tags others submitted for a given entry in a specific language pair, s/he must have that language pair reported in his/her profile.

Hope this clarifies.

Regards,

Lucia

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Yikes, there's something wrong with the tag program Sep 24, 2009

In RU-EN, the green is not showing up in the translated text when you mouse over the corresponding section in the reviewers comments. (Or rather, it sometimes shows up, but mostly doesn't.)
That made it quite hard to find one's place--shows you how good a feature it is, when it is working properly.

Also, in one entry, the column of "likes" ("flows well," "good term selection") was showing up the "dislikes column.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
God save the English language from nitpickers Sep 25, 2009

"The play's the thing
Wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king."
--W. Shakespeare, Hamlet

Nitpicker reviewer: "Dislike"
Comment: Grammar error. No apostrophes in formal writing.

"Who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather b
... See more
"The play's the thing
Wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king."
--W. Shakespeare, Hamlet

Nitpicker reviewer: "Dislike"
Comment: Grammar error. No apostrophes in formal writing.

"Who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?"
--W. Shakespeare, Hamlet

Nitpicker: "Dislike"
Comments:
Syntax. Too long.
Grammar error. Sentence ends with a preposition.

"What a piece of work is a man! how noble in reason!"
--W. Shakespeare, Hamlet

Comments: Sexist. Should be gender neutral.
Grammar error. Unended idiom. Ungrammatical to begin a sentence with lower case letter.
Syntax: Incomplete sentence.

"Or have we eaten on the insane root
That takes the reason prisoner?"
--W. Shakespeare, Macbeth

Comments: Syntax. Incomplete sentence.
Grammar error. Ungrammatical to begin a sentence with "or."

"And, for an earnest of a greater honour,
He bade me, from him, call thee thane of Cawdor:
In which addition, hail, most worthy thane!
For it is thine."
-- W. Shakespeare, Macbeth

Comments: Grammar error. Ungrammatical. Sentence starts with "and."
Syntax. Incomplete sentence.

"Knock, knock, knock."
--W. Shakespeare, Macbeth

Comment: Syntax. Incomplete sentence
Collapse

Natalia Mackevich
Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:06
English to Russian
+ ...
Destroyed comments Sep 25, 2009

Will something be done to fix the problem with placing comments in En-Ru pair? Most of the comments turn out to be incomplete, even though they did not exceed the set limit. Also, I placed some 20 comments yesterday evening (they were "awaiting for approval"), but today I received 20 messages, as follows:

Your comment "undefined" for a contest entry in English>>Russian has been approved.

All my comments only contain one single word: "undefined", and that's more than 2
... See more
Will something be done to fix the problem with placing comments in En-Ru pair? Most of the comments turn out to be incomplete, even though they did not exceed the set limit. Also, I placed some 20 comments yesterday evening (they were "awaiting for approval"), but today I received 20 messages, as follows:

Your comment "undefined" for a contest entry in English>>Russian has been approved.

All my comments only contain one single word: "undefined", and that's more than 2 hours of reading and commenting!
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Please submit a support request Sep 25, 2009

Hello Susan,

I am afraid I am not able to spot the tags for which the selected piece of text is not highlighted when mousing over in the language pair you specify.

Would you mind submitting a support request and specifying the entry number(s) and the specific tag(s) for which the text is not highlighted? This should help me look into this further.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

... See more
Hello Susan,

I am afraid I am not able to spot the tags for which the selected piece of text is not highlighted when mousing over in the language pair you specify.

Would you mind submitting a support request and specifying the entry number(s) and the specific tag(s) for which the text is not highlighted? This should help me look into this further.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Natalia! Sep 25, 2009

Hello Natalia,

Thanks for reporting this. I will test the issue and make sure it is fixed if confirmed.

I appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Lucia

Natalia Mackevich
Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:06
English to Russian
+ ...
Undefined comments Sep 25, 2009

Natalia Mackevich wrote:

All my comments only contain one single word: "undefined", and that's more than 2 hours of reading and commenting!

It's still a problem, and it was very sad for me to receive another 10 messages stating that my "undefined comment has been approved"... half an hour after the terrible news that my "entry has been ruled out". It was all in vain! Very disappointing, indeed.

[Edited at 2009-09-25 12:20 GMT]

Alessio Nunziato
Alessio Nunziato
Germany
Local time: 19:06
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
same here Sep 25, 2009

Natalia Mackevich wrote:

Natalia Mackevich wrote:

It's still a problem, and it was very sad for me to receive another 10 messages stating that my "undefined comment has been approved"... half an hour after the terrible news that my "entry has been ruled out". It was all in vain! Very disappointing, indeed.

[Edited at 2009-09-25 12:20 GMT]

I had the same problem (undefined comments), but only in a few cases.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

9th ProZ.com translation contest: Business. Qualification and final voting phases will start soon

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »