Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
9th ProZ.com translation contest: Business. Qualification and final voting phases will start soon
Thread poster: Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Tagging should not be interpreted as proofreading Sep 22, 2009

Susan Welsh wrote:

From what I've seen so far, some people are larding the entries with the most minute quibbles, many of them flat-out wrong. At the last contest, it was emphasized that one should make an effort to be encouraging, finding something to "like" in a translation, rather than 18 things you "dislike."

Also, this is not the place for political correctness. If someone wants to be PC in some particular way, it should not be used to judge another person's TRANSLATION. (Would you give Shakespeare or Cervantes "dislikes" because they didn't follow your view of what is politically correct?)

I agree with you, Susan. I think it is important to highlight that, as I mentioned in a previous post, the purpose of tagging is to compare notes with other voters and provide feedback to contestants. This means that the feature should not be used to put the stress on wrong word selections or misspellings only.

Those who are willing to review an entry should be able to spot grammatical errors or omissions, but they should also be able to accent the good selection of a term for example.

Thank you all in advance for bearing this in mind.

Regards,

Lucia

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
You are invited to rate and vote in pairs you have reported in your profile Sep 22, 2009

Hello Arnaud,

1) Is it normal that I am invited to rate only in EN>FR, whereas I do DE>FR and IT>FR too?

I see that the option to rate entries is provided to you for both English to French and Italian to French language pairs. I also see you can submit your votes for German to French. Would you mind checking again and letting me know if you still do not see those options?

2) Is it normal that I can see ratings in EN>FR only, whereas I would be interested in seeing rates in all languages I can read?

Please note that what you see are tags and not ratings, as ratings are not visible to the contest participants.

It was suggested earlier that tagging was open for pairs in which rating was not possible. As I said then, I will look into this to see what can be done. But I cannot promise this will be implemented for the current contest.

3) Is it normal I see the ratings as anonymous?

Yes. During the voting and qualification phases, tags will be anonymously visible to other raters who will in turn be able to agree or disagree with them. However, when the contest finishes, all taggers' identities will be shown.

Hope this clarifies.

Just let me know if you have any more doubts.

Regards,

Lucia

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:19
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What happens to the agrees/disagrees if the original tag is deleted? Sep 22, 2009

I am wondering what happens if there is a tag with several agrees (or disagrees), and the person who posted the original tag removes that tag.
Will all the agrees (disagrees) disappear as well?

If yes, will those that agreed to (or disagreed to) get at least a notification so they can possibly make their own tags to replace the deleted agrees (disagrees)?
I am asking because if agrees (disagrees) disappear without any trace, people who clicked those agrees/disagrees ma
... See more
I am wondering what happens if there is a tag with several agrees (or disagrees), and the person who posted the original tag removes that tag.
Will all the agrees (disagrees) disappear as well?

If yes, will those that agreed to (or disagreed to) get at least a notification so they can possibly make their own tags to replace the deleted agrees (disagrees)?
I am asking because if agrees (disagrees) disappear without any trace, people who clicked those agrees/disagrees may not go back and not notice what happened.

How is this being handled?

Katalin
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
All tags and comments should be visible for working and interest language pairs Sep 22, 2009

Hello Alessio,

I'm sorry it took me so long to reply to your post.

In effect, the issue you describe was caused by a bug that has been fixed. So, now you should be able to see all the tags added to your entries with their respective comments.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Lucia

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
No notifications sent for tags removed Sep 22, 2009

Hello Katalin,

I am afraid no notifications of tags removed are being sent to those who posted an agree/disagree for that tag.

However, this is a good idea and I will see what can be done. As with the visibility of tags for language pairs not reported in profiles (suggested by M. Ali above), I cannot promise this will be implemented during this contest though.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Regards,

Lucia

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:19
English to French
+ ...
Works Sep 23, 2009

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

I see that the option to rate entries is provided to you for both English to French and Italian to French language pairs. I also see you can submit your votes for German to French. Would you mind checking again and letting me know if you still do not see those options?

I see a link now to go see and "tag" the texts from EN IT DE to FR. That works.

In DE>FR I see a link to "select this entry as the best" that I don't see in EN>FR or IT>FR. I don't remember stating I was better at German.

I would also have liked to be able to see the tags in languages I don't translate to, but that I can read. That is called read-only it is a frequent feature in Content management systems. Maybe everybody could have read-only rights about the tags of languages they don't translate to.

Mark Berelekhis
Mark Berelekhis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:19
Russian to English
+ ...
Quoted for truth Sep 23, 2009

Susan Welsh wrote:

From what I've seen so far, some people are larding the entries with the most minute quibbles, many of them flat-out wrong. At the last contest, it was emphasized that one should make an effort to be encouraging, finding something to "like" in a translation, rather than 18 things you "dislike."

Also, this is not the place for political correctness. If someone wants to be PC in some particular way, it should not be used to judge another person's TRANSLATION. (Would you give Shakespeare or Cervantes "dislikes" because they didn't follow your view of what is politically correct?)

Susan

People seem all too eager to quibble about minor and/or stylistic nuances. I for one look forward to learning the identities of said quibblers.

John Farebrother
John Farebrother  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Native speakers only Sep 23, 2009

Alessio N. wrote:

I was very disappointed when I saw so many machine translations... I mean, why on earth should one send a machine translation?? Does he/she really hope he/she has any chance of winning a contest with this tricks?

Their only function is to make voting more difficult and in pairs with many entries it would be very helpful if these useless entries were deleted, so that they leave space to the "human" ones and we don't waste time reading and tagging them.

Would it be possible?

[Edited at 2009-09-21 22:03 GMT]

In addition to excluding MT, restricting entries to native speakers of the TL would not only get rid of the chaff and make the number of entries in some language combinations more manageable, but would also remove the anomaly whereby anyone who claims to be able to translate into a language has an equal vote on the quality of a piece of writing in that language as a native speaker.

Maria Diaconu
Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 00:19
English to Romanian
Let's be more open-minded here... Sep 23, 2009

John Farebrother wrote:

In addition to excluding MT, restricting entries to native speakers of the TL would not only get rid of the chaff and make the number of entries in some language combinations more manageable, but would also remove the anomaly whereby anyone who claims to be able to translate into a language has an equal vote on the quality of a piece of writing in that language as a native speaker.

I think non-natives deserve a chance. Why should they be excluded? You know, there are a few writers in the world who produced great literature in other language than their native one, and they did it wonderfully. So... let's open our minds, please!
As for MT, if people want to make fools of themselves... I'll rate them as "poor writing/translation" (minimum score) and move on

[Edited at 2009-09-23 12:28 GMT]

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Qualification phase and final voting phase Sep 23, 2009

Arnaud HERVE wrote:

In DE>FR I see a link to "select this entry as the best" that I don't see in EN>FR or IT>FR. I don't remember stating I was better at German.

The reason why you see the select this entry as the best option below entries for German to French language pair is because this pair is already in final voting phase while English to French and Italian to French are still in qualification phase.

You can find more information about the contest structure and the different phases in the contest FAQs section.

Hope this helps.

Just let me know if you still have any doubt.

Regards,

Lucia

Alessio Nunziato
Alessio Nunziato
Germany
Local time: 23:19
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
ok Sep 23, 2009

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Hello Alessio,

I'm sorry it took me so long to reply to your post.

In effect, the issue you describe was caused by a bug that has been fixed. So, now you should be able to see all the tags added to your entries with their respective comments.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Lucia

Hello Lucia,

it works now, many thanks!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

9th ProZ.com translation contest: Business. Qualification and final voting phases will start soon

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »