Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
9th ProZ.com translation contest: Business. Qualification and final voting phases will start soon
Thread poster: Lucia Leszinsky
Maria Diaconu
Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 19:12
English to Romanian
Truncation of comments Sep 21, 2009

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

The other problem with the character count of comments is that letters with diacritics seems to mess up the count: text containing accented characters gets truncated, even though it is not longer than the limit when entered.
The only thing I can think of is that the accented characters get converted to a code with % or & characters and that increases the length of the comment, and the comment then gets truncated automatically when displayed.
Could this be fixed?

Yes, I've noticed that... When I thought I've made my comment in the limit, however the comment was truncated when it was displayed... and it seemed strange. Indeed you have a point with the diacritics count. I hope this will be fixed somehow.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:12
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How can I... Sep 21, 2009

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:
Language pairs with 3-7 entries will go directly into final voting phase. In final voting rounds, voters will be asked to select the entry that they consider the best of the group. Second and third best entries may also be designated, with points being assigned to entries in amounts of four (4), two (2) and one (1), respectively.

How can I award points for the second best and third best without awarding any points for the [first] best?

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Please submit a support request Sep 21, 2009

Dear Katalin and Maria,

Would you mind submitting a support request, specifying the language pair in which you tagged pieces of texts, the number of the entry you tagged and the exact comment you entered? This will help me look into this further.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Lucia

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
A best entry must be selected to be able to select second and third best entries Sep 21, 2009

Hello Samuel,

I am afraid that in order to be able to select second and third best entries, a best entry must be selected first.

Hope this explains.

Please let me know if you have any doubt.

Regards,

Lucia

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It doesn't give me... Sep 21, 2009

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:
I am afraid that in order to be able to select second and third best entries, a best entry must be selected first.

It doesn't give me the option to select the best entry. Should I submit a ticket?

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:12
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I see no point for support request, this is a general problem Sep 21, 2009

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Dear Katalin and Maria,

Would you mind submitting a support request, specifying the language pair in which you tagged pieces of texts, the number of the entry you tagged and the exact comment you entered? This will help me look into this further.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Lucia

Lucia,
I have already modified the truncated comments to display correctly.
Therefore, I won't submit a support request about this.
This problem is not limited to the contest tag comments, by the way. The same thing happens with KudoZ peer comments and Discussion entries as well. Basically anywhere on ProZ, where the input field has a length limit, the diacritics mess up the count. (What the developers need to do is change the algorithm to count the coded characters as one, instead of counting the code-characters one by one, ending up counting a single letter as 2 or more characters.)

Katalin

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, Samuel. Sep 21, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

It doesn't give me the option to select the best entry. Should I submit a ticket?

Yes, please. Make sure you specify the language pair in which you are trying to vote so that I can look into this further.

Thanks in advance,

Lucia

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Issues and bugs reports must be reported through the support system Sep 21, 2009

Dear Katalin,

Note that in order to determine the cause of an issue, the problem must be tested in the exact environment in which it takes place. Once the problem is confirmed in that environment, it is tested in other environments to determine the extent to which the issue may cause problems.

So, in order to test this, I am afraid I will need more information as I was not able to reproduce the problem when I saw your previous post.

Also, if you find this p
... See more
Dear Katalin,

Note that in order to determine the cause of an issue, the problem must be tested in the exact environment in which it takes place. Once the problem is confirmed in that environment, it is tested in other environments to determine the extent to which the issue may cause problems.

So, in order to test this, I am afraid I will need more information as I was not able to reproduce the problem when I saw your previous post.

Also, if you find this problem may be also taking place in other areas, please specify these areas and provide more information (such as the exact text you are trying to enter).

I know it may take longer for you to submit a support request, even after submitting a forum post. But remember that it is recommended that issues or apparent bugs are reported through the support system in the first place.

Thanks in advance for understanding.

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Alessio Nunziato
Alessio Nunziato
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
deleting machine translations Sep 21, 2009

I was very disappointed when I saw so many machine translations... I mean, why on earth should one send a machine translation?? Does he/she really hope he/she has any chance of winning a contest with this tricks?

Their only function is to make voting more difficult and in pairs with many entries it would be very helpful if these useless entries were deleted, so that they leave space to the "human" ones and we don't waste time reading and tagging them.

Would it be possi
... See more
I was very disappointed when I saw so many machine translations... I mean, why on earth should one send a machine translation?? Does he/she really hope he/she has any chance of winning a contest with this tricks?

Their only function is to make voting more difficult and in pairs with many entries it would be very helpful if these useless entries were deleted, so that they leave space to the "human" ones and we don't waste time reading and tagging them.

Would it be possible?

[Edited at 2009-09-21 22:03 GMT]
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
There are no restrictions on tools used for the translation of entries Sep 21, 2009

Hello Alessio,

Please note that as FAQs state, there are no restrictions on tools used for the translation of contest entries. This means that contestants are allowed to use automatic translators when preparing their entries.

Remember that it is members and users that rate and/or vote for a given entry. Thus, if a member or user believes a translation is poor, s/he can state so by rating the entry accordi
... See more
Hello Alessio,

Please note that as FAQs state, there are no restrictions on tools used for the translation of contest entries. This means that contestants are allowed to use automatic translators when preparing their entries.

Remember that it is members and users that rate and/or vote for a given entry. Thus, if a member or user believes a translation is poor, s/he can state so by rating the entry accordingly (if in qualification phase) or by not voting for the entry at all (if in voting phase). In the end, if the translation has been done using an automatic translator, and raters and voters believe it is not a good translation, then it will not get to finals or will not be among finalists in final rounds.

Hope this explains.

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Do some entries keep their comment section hidden? Sep 22, 2009

I made a few comments (EN>NL translations) but, for some of the translations, they disappear as soon as I have entered them. Is it optional for the contestant to have comments shown or hidden? If so, how am I supposed to remember what I commented? The translations are very much alike, and I usually don't do it all at once. I need to be able to see the comments back. Or do these contestants don't want comments?

In fact, I received about 10 confirmation emails about one comment. It wa
... See more
I made a few comments (EN>NL translations) but, for some of the translations, they disappear as soon as I have entered them. Is it optional for the contestant to have comments shown or hidden? If so, how am I supposed to remember what I commented? The translations are very much alike, and I usually don't do it all at once. I need to be able to see the comments back. Or do these contestants don't want comments?

In fact, I received about 10 confirmation emails about one comment. It was accepted twice and vetted no 8 times. I may have tried to re-enter my comment a few times, not understanding why it didn't show up, but I don't think I tried that many times....

Thanks. It's an interesting experience.

[Edited at 2009-09-22 01:02 GMT]
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Too many picky "dislikes" Sep 22, 2009

From what I've seen so far, some people are larding the entries with the most minute quibbles, many of them flat-out wrong. At the last contest, it was emphasized that one should make an effort to be encouraging, finding something to "like" in a translation, rather than 18 things you "dislike."

Also, this is not the place for political correctness. If someone wants to be PC in some particular way, it should not be used to judge another person's TRANSLATION. (Would you give Shakespea
... See more
From what I've seen so far, some people are larding the entries with the most minute quibbles, many of them flat-out wrong. At the last contest, it was emphasized that one should make an effort to be encouraging, finding something to "like" in a translation, rather than 18 things you "dislike."

Also, this is not the place for political correctness. If someone wants to be PC in some particular way, it should not be used to judge another person's TRANSLATION. (Would you give Shakespeare or Cervantes "dislikes" because they didn't follow your view of what is politically correct?)

Susan
Collapse

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
3 questions Sep 22, 2009

1) Is it normal that I am invited to rate only in EN>FR, whereas I do DE>FR and IT>FR too?

2) Is it normal that I can see ratings in EN>FR only, whereas I would be interested in seeing rates in all languages I can read?

3) Is it normal I see the ratings as anonymous?

Alessio Nunziato
Alessio Nunziato
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
little bug? Sep 22, 2009

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Hello Alessio,

Remember that it is members and users that rate and/or vote for a given entry. Thus, if a member or user believes a translation is poor, s/he can state so by rating the entry accordingly (if in qualification phase) or by not voting for the entry at all (if in voting phase). In the end, if the translation has been done using an automatic translator, and raters and voters believe it is not a good translation, then it will not get to finals or will not be among finalists in final rounds.

Hope this explains.

Regards,

Lucia

Hello Lucia,

I know it is allowed to send machine translations, I only wondered whether they could be deleted in pairs with many entries in order to make voting easier, but it's ok, I understand that its deletion can be caused by users' votes only. Thanks for clarifying.

I would like to point out a little problem, I'm not sure it's really a bug. I have an entry in an interest pair and now there are 4 dislike tags, but I can see only 2 of them and they're related to problems not connected to translation, so my doubt is that I cannot see my own tags about translation because this pair it's not among my working pairs. I mean, I cannot vote for accuracy of translation in this pair because it's just an interest pair, so I suppose I cannot see translation-related tags for the same reason. I hope my explanation is clear!

Is there any way to see them?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Comments accompanying tags should be visible Sep 22, 2009

Hello all,

First of all, let me apologize for the delay in my replies. Then, let me try to answer your questions one by one.

lianne jm van de ven wrote:

In fact, I received about 10 confirmation emails about one comment. It was accepted twice and vetted no 8 times. I may have tried to re-enter my comment a few times, not understanding why it didn't show up, but I don't think I tried that many times....

Comments accompanying tags should be visible to the poster (even if they have not been approved yet), to the entry poster and to other participants as soon as they are submitted. This means having tags and comments hidden is not an option.

As for your comments, I am able to see some in most of your tags, Lianne. However, could you please tell me if there is still some comment you added and that is not visible to you? Also, what about confirmation emails? Do they relate to the tags and comments you cannot see?

If you want, you can submit a support request with all relevant information so that I can look into this further.

Thanks in advance,

Lucia

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

9th ProZ.com translation contest: Business. Qualification and final voting phases will start soon

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »