Thread poster: Lindsay Sabadosa (X)
Lindsay Sabadosa (X)
Lindsay Sabadosa (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:36
Italian to English
+ ...
Dec 3, 2008

If there is information about this somewhere else, please just let me know but how are entries ruled out? Every day I check, I see more and more ruled out and I don't know why or how! I haven't even had time to rate them all yet! How is this happening?
Also, a few days ago, I was able to see the number of "agrees" and "disagrees" under likes and dislikes. Now they've disappared. Is there a glitch or was I not supposed to see them in the first place?
Thanks!

Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
"agrees" and "disagrees" Dec 3, 2008

Lindsay Sabadosa wrote:

Also, a few days ago, I was able to see the number of "agrees" and "disagrees" under likes and dislikes. Now they've disappared. Is there a glitch or was I not supposed to see them in the first place?
Thanks!

Dear Lindsay,

Now you can see other people's "agrees" and "disagrees" ONLY AFTER you put in your own "agree" or"disagree".

I believe this is a significant improvement to the system because the commenter is not influenced by the opinions of the others.

Thank you, Romina! Very smart feature!

Lindsay Sabadosa (X)
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What about for my own entry? Dec 3, 2008

That is, indeed, a very good idea but what about for my own entry? I realize I can (or at least I think I can) but I wasn't going to go agreeing with the agrees or disagreeing with the disagrees.
Thanks!

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:36
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Voting process - description Dec 3, 2008

6. What is the voting process?

Voting is done separately for each language pair. Depending on the number of entries, there are one or two rounds of voting.

"Qualifying rounds" of voting are held only in pairs with a large number of entries (>7) to ensure that an appropriate number of entries reaches the finals, and that the ones selected are the best and most accurate. Voters are asked to rate entries in two categories: "Quality of writing" and "Accuracy of translation"
... See more

Voting is done separately for each language pair. Depending on the number of entries, there are one or two rounds of voting.

"Qualifying rounds" of voting are held only in pairs with a large number of entries (>7) to ensure that an appropriate number of entries reaches the finals, and that the ones selected are the best and most accurate. Voters are asked to rate entries in two categories: "Quality of writing" and "Accuracy of translation" on an absolute scale of 1 ("poor") to 5 ("perfect"). During this round entries which receive a net rating ≤ 2 from a reasonable number of voters will no longer be subject to review and will not move on to the next round. The 3-7 entries that receive the highest scores will pass into the final round.

In "final round" voting, voters are asked to select the entry that they consider the best of the group. Second and third best entries may also be designated, with points being assigned to entries in amounts of four (4), two (2) and one (1), respectively. The entry that collects the most points in final round voting, wins.

http://www.proz.com/?sp=contests&sp_mode=faqs#contests_voting_process

I added bold, as that part answers your question. Note that "like" and "dislike" tags (and agrees/disagrees related to them) do not have a direct impact on qualification. They may influence voters in their choice - but it is only the rating that counts.

You may wish to check other items in the Contest FAQ.

Attila
Collapse

Ligia Dias Costa
Ligia Dias Costa  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Rating and tags Dec 3, 2008

Is this just me not seeing things clearly or voters are concentrating on tagging and not on voting?

In my pairs, EN, FR and SP into PT I can only see the tagging and not the voting.

Is this normal?

Ligia Dias Costa

Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
This is ok Dec 3, 2008

Ligia Dias Costa wrote:

Is this just me not seeing things clearly or voters are concentrating on tagging and not on voting?

In my pairs, EN, FR and SP into PT I can only see the tagging and not the voting.

Is this normal?

Ligia Dias Costa

This is ok, Ligia, the votes are secret until the contest is over.

Ligia Dias Costa
Ligia Dias Costa  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
OK! Dec 3, 2008

Is it? that's why I could not see anything!

Thanks Alexander!

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Entries "ruled out" Dec 3, 2008

Attila Piróth wrote:

"Qualifying rounds" of voting are held only in pairs with a large number of entries (>7) to ensure that an appropriate number of entries reaches the finals, and that the ones selected are the best and most accurate. Voters are asked to rate entries in two categories: "Quality of writing" and "Accuracy of translation" on an absolute scale of 1 ("poor") to 5 ("perfect"). During this round entries which receive a net rating ≤ 2 from a reasonable number of voters will no longer be subject to review and will not move on to the next round. The 3-7 entries that receive the highest scores will pass into the final round.

Attila

I guess this is why entries have disappeared. But it seems odd to rule them out before the qualifying round is even finished! I, for one, had not finished rating the entries in the given pair. What if everybody from now till Monday LOVED those particular entries?

Susan

Roman Bulkiewicz
Roman Bulkiewicz  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:36
Member (2004)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Love fast! Dec 3, 2008

Susan Welsh wrote:
But it seems odd to rule them out before the qualifying round is even finished! I, for one, had not finished rating the entries in the given pair. What if everybody from now till Monday LOVED those particular entries?

Well, you have no chance to love them anymore.

I was surprised by this, too. Yes, I should have read the rules carefully, but... one would expect them to be more, let's say, intuitive. Very odd, indeed!!

Lindsay Sabadosa (X)
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reasonable Number Dec 3, 2008

So what is a reasonable number of votes? And how often are the ruled out ones eliminated? Enquiring minds want to know...

Elizabeth Ardans
Elizabeth Ardans  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 02:36
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
unlikely... Dec 3, 2008

What if everybody from now till Monday LOVED those particular entries?

I think that is very unlikely... if a certain number of people dislike an entry (I assume the number of people requiered to do this is not 3 or 4), then the entry has probably several mistakes. Some pairs, such as EN-ES, had a lot of entries and some people may not have time to review them all (though it's not compulsory, I know). It seems to make sense to rule out earlier those of lower quality, so that reviewers have a chance to go more thorougly over those who have a chance to win...

Elizabeth

[Editado a las 2008-12-03 14:34 GMT]

Alan Wang
Alan Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 13:36
English to Chinese
+ ...
Star counts Dec 3, 2008

I love the rule-out. In fact I'd even suggest in the qualifying round, no star counts at all. Only two choices, vote or no vote. The entries you think are not so good should be given no vote and the entries you think might make it to the final should be give a vote. This would save a lot of time and energy for the voters at least who would be unburdened from counting stars and thinking how many would be the correct number or the approriate number for each and every entry!... See more
I love the rule-out. In fact I'd even suggest in the qualifying round, no star counts at all. Only two choices, vote or no vote. The entries you think are not so good should be given no vote and the entries you think might make it to the final should be give a vote. This would save a lot of time and energy for the voters at least who would be unburdened from counting stars and thinking how many would be the correct number or the approriate number for each and every entry!Collapse

Lindsay Sabadosa (X)
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Like this Idea Dec 3, 2008

dumont wrote:

I love the rule-out. In fact I'd even suggest in the qualifying round, no star counts at all. Only two choices, vote or no vote. The entries you think are not so good should be given no vote and the entries you think might make it to the final should be give a vote. This would save a lot of time and energy for the voters at least who would be unburdened from counting stars and thinking how many would be the correct number or the approriate number for each and every entry!

This is a good idea. I keep finding myself going back and adjusting the number of stars I've given based on others I read. Giving out stars has also become my procrastination method of choice lately, just in case it isn't obvious.

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Updating Contest FAQ on voting process Dec 3, 2008

Hi All,

I am updating contest FAQ 6. "What is the voting process?"

When confronted with the actual data obtained from peer rating in this contest it was noticed that the ≤2 bar was a bit too low and this condition has been reconsidered and explained as follows:

"Entries are removed from contention when it becomes clear that they have no reasonable chance of winning. Such assessment is made based on the average rating received from peers (relative to that
... See more
Hi All,

I am updating contest FAQ 6. "What is the voting process?"

When confronted with the actual data obtained from peer rating in this contest it was noticed that the ≤2 bar was a bit too low and this condition has been reconsidered and explained as follows:

"Entries are removed from contention when it becomes clear that they have no reasonable chance of winning. Such assessment is made based on the average rating received from peers (relative to that assigned to other entries), after some minimum number of votes.

Winnowing out entries in this way helps focus voter attention on the leading entries, increasing the likelihood that the best entries will be identified for inclusion in the final round."

In all cases, the authors of the entries that are no longer subject to review are notified by email and have access to their entry (only visible to them) and to all the details concerning the score they got, the number of voters that rated their entries and the like/dislike tags received.

Romina
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Love fast? Dec 3, 2008

Roman Bulkiewicz wrote:
Love fast! Well, you have no chance to love them anymore.

Some of us aren't as young as we used to be....

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Questions re: how entries are ruled out and agrees/disagrees

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »