1st Annual ProZ.com Translation Contest: feedback on tagging
Thread poster: RominaZ
Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
another question Dec 3, 2008

RE: "Note: When the contest finishes taggers' identities will be visible."

Will the identities of agreers/ disagreers also made public?

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, they will Dec 3, 2008

Hi Alexander,

Yes, the identities of people expressing agreement/disagreement will be visible too.

Romina

Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Thank you! Dec 3, 2008

RominaZ wrote:

Hi Alexander,

Yes, the identities of people expressing agreement/disagreement will be visible too.

Romina

Thank you for clarification, Romina!

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 18:25
Frankly speaking, Dec 3, 2008

RominaZ wrote:

Hi Alexander,

Romina

I don't really want to know who made Likes/Deslikes entries on my translation. It is enough to see if they are right or not.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:25
Russian to English
+ ...
Revealing identities Dec 3, 2008

Bin Tiede wrote:

I don't really want to know who made Likes/Deslikes entries on my translation. It is enough to see if they are right or not.

Bin, I don't think the point of this is so that the translator can go out and beat up someone who disliked what they wrote (maybe in the RU-EN pair ... just kidding!). I think the point of it is to make people think twice before they are overly critical, unreasonable, or nasty.

I agree with the spirit of what you wrote, though.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:25
Russian to English
+ ...
Option to provide reference link for agree/disagree Dec 3, 2008

RominaZ wrote:

This option should be working now.

Please let me know.

Romina, it works now for new entries--great! It doesn't allow me to edit the entry I already made, or to delete it and start over. But never mind, forget it. Perhaps the point will be clear from the link alone, without my comment.

Thanks

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 18:25
Option to reveal identities Dec 3, 2008

Susan Welsh wrote:

Bin Tiede wrote:

Bin, I don't think the point of this is so that the translator can go out and beat up someone who disliked what they wrote (maybe in the RU-EN pair ... just kidding!). I think the point of it is to make people think twice before they are overly critical, unreasonable, or nasty.

I agree with the spirit of what you wrote, though.

I would suggest there should be a button to reveal identities. If any contestant does not like it, he/she can choose not to know people who made those commemts personally.

As narrow-minded as I am, I won't touch the button at all. I'd like to treat my colleagues as always.

Alan Wang
Alan Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 05:25
English to Chinese
+ ...
Tagging Dec 4, 2008

This is my first time taking part in Proz.com competition. When I first got to the rating page and after reading the entries, I immediately started to tag the obvious mistakes oblivious of the fact that only star counts. From the feedback I got so far, I realize it is a poor practice of tagging entries randomly for mistakes. It's a waste of own precious time. It is hardly appreciated and these should be left alone.

To me, the mistakes that are most taggable (so to speak) are the one
... See more
This is my first time taking part in Proz.com competition. When I first got to the rating page and after reading the entries, I immediately started to tag the obvious mistakes oblivious of the fact that only star counts. From the feedback I got so far, I realize it is a poor practice of tagging entries randomly for mistakes. It's a waste of own precious time. It is hardly appreciated and these should be left alone.

To me, the mistakes that are most taggable (so to speak) are the ones in the relatively good quality and potentially winning entries. Although few are these mistakes or deficiencies of translation of some sort, the purpose of tagging would be clear, that is, to try to score down your competitiors. The irony is that after you fanatically try to find some mistakes to tag, you yourself have to give it a relatively higher score which the entry seems to deserve.

[修改时间: 2008-12-04 01:32 GMT]
Collapse

Monika Silea
Monika Silea  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 23:25
English to Romanian
+ ...
here are my thoughts Dec 4, 2008

Courtney Sliwinski wrote:

I like the idea of tagging likes and dislikes in this contest. However, I think that most people are forgetting to tag "likes" and simply looking for mistakes. I feel this is mean-spirited and those who choose to vote should also remember to compliment contestants. After all, these people worked hard on these translations, a few kind words could go a long way. I would ask that voters use constructive criticism when judging the entries.

I agree that the mistakes are more easily spotted; I also agree that the number of entries is quite impressive in some language pairs (congratulations) and it takes quite a while to go over them. But, on the other hand, likes should be tagged as well.
It is psychologically good for the participants to have some positive feed back as well. Especially that it is all about subjective likes and dislikes (more or less). And it is not every day that you can get professional feed back on your work.
And, Feed back is not restricted to dislikes or shortcomings.
Also, it is annoying to see duplicate dislikes (mainly, as likes are more often forgotten to be tagged) for the same item. It would be a good idea to remove back-end the duplicate tags.

As to the participation and tagging processes being allowed only to paying members - this is the rule, we obey to it. They who wish to join such contests can become members any time they wish. However, I think it would be very good to have the non-paying members allowed to vote in the final round. This would provide a wider range of opinions, and therefore it will be more accurate. And this way they could come into close contact with the contest and 'feel the thrill' and maybe that will convince them to become full members.

Bye

PS I think that typos should not be included in the dislikes, as they are irrelevant in the quality of the translation. OK, I agree that we shouldn't encourage mediocrity, but it should also not affect the rating process. Only obvious spelling mistakes should be included (that is: a repeatedly misspelt word). Professionals who join the contest are clearly able to spot a typo from a mistake.
Regards

[Edited at 2008-12-04 08:57 GMT]

RominaZ
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Voting is open to members and users of the site Dec 4, 2008

Monika Silea wrote:

As to the participation and tagging processes being allowed only to paying members - this is the rule, we obey to it. They who wish to join such contests can become members any time they wish. However, I think it would be very good to have the non-paying members allowed to vote in the final round. This would provide a wider range of opinions, and therefore it will be more accurate. And this way they could come into close contact with the contest and 'feel the thrill' and maybe that will convince them to become full members.

Hi Monika,

Voting is open to both members and users of the site. Please see http://www.proz.com/faq/contests#contests.8

Romina

Carol Gullidge
Carol Gullidge  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:25
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
spaces between words Dec 4, 2008

YaniQC wrote:

Impossible to tag if there is more than one space between words. It would be better to delete double (triple, etc) spaces automatically on posting.
In one of the pairs I found a text with a lot of stuff to tag, but the author put too many spaces, thus protecting himself (herself) from too many tags (maybe involuntary, but still....)

Yes I found a text like this - peppered with double spaces. I had no idea that this was the reason for not being able to tag some of the terms... I assumed this was accidental (though hard to see how!) but am now beginning to wonder...

Carol Gullidge
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
tagging problems Dec 4, 2008

Hi,

I think the tagging of likes and dislikes is a brilliant idea, and, on the whole, works extremely well.

However, I'm having a spot of trouble with some of my tags - in particular, one that has been applied to the wrong section of text - making a nonsense of my comment - and it has no X for me to be able to delete it! I think it's even in the wrong text...

HELP! What can I do to get rid of the now-misleading comment?

Also, I notice that some
... See more
Hi,

I think the tagging of likes and dislikes is a brilliant idea, and, on the whole, works extremely well.

However, I'm having a spot of trouble with some of my tags - in particular, one that has been applied to the wrong section of text - making a nonsense of my comment - and it has no X for me to be able to delete it! I think it's even in the wrong text...

HELP! What can I do to get rid of the now-misleading comment?

Also, I notice that some of the tags have mysteriously disappeared completely, despite having had several "Agrees" attached to them, and it seems impossible to reinstate the comment, even though the term is no longer tagged. Or, perhaps this relates to double spaces between words...?

Also, who decides whether to "reject" a comment? I ask this because nearly all my comments on 1 particular entry have been rejected, although the same comments were accepted on other entries. Does this simply mean that the translator himself rejected them - which is fair enough.

But my most pressing problem is how to delete that comment - the one without the X.

thanks
Collapse

RominaZ
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Please submit a support ticket Dec 4, 2008

Dear Carol,

Could you please submit a support request to have this particular problem solved? You can submit your request here http://www.proz.com/support

Thanks,
Romina

Carol Gullidge
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
thanks Dec 4, 2008

RominaZ wrote:

Dear Carol,

Could you please submit a support request to have this particular problem solved? You can submit your request here http://www.proz.com/support

Thanks,
Romina

Why didn't I think of that!!

Many thanks, I've just followed your advice

Dagmara Kuliś (X)
Dagmara Kuliś (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Polish
+ ...
Multiple dislikes Dec 4, 2008

I have noticed that in a few entries there are several (as many as 7 in one case) dislike tags - completely identical! (not to mention the fact that in one case the category of mistake is wrong and so it does not make any sense...) I understand that there are lots of entries in the annual contest but maybe the staff should look into this? One of the most important things is that it simply gives a wrong impression if an entry has 10 dislikes but then 5 of them are exactly the same...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

1st Annual ProZ.com Translation Contest: feedback on tagging

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »