Uruguay
Local time: 18:01
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
voting only some entries Dec 1, 2008

Hi,

Iºve been thingking...

Let's say I give 2 or 3 stars to a text which I think is medium-quality or not so good. Then, I do not have time to continue reading/rating all the entries, some of which may be better than the one(s) I rated. How does it work? A not-so-good entry may get more points than a good one just because the latter was not rated? It seems weird and somehow unfair.

At first I started reading without rating, with the intention of rating th
... See more
Hi,

Iºve been thingking...

Let's say I give 2 or 3 stars to a text which I think is medium-quality or not so good. Then, I do not have time to continue reading/rating all the entries, some of which may be better than the one(s) I rated. How does it work? A not-so-good entry may get more points than a good one just because the latter was not rated? It seems weird and somehow unfair.

At first I started reading without rating, with the intention of rating them all once I finished reading; then I realized it would be too time consuming, given the number of entries, as I would probably have to read some or all of them again... so I started rating one at a time. I have the intention of reading and rating them all, but what if I can't? Wouldn't that be unfair?

I'd like to hear some thoughts on this or a more thorugh explanation on how votes will be counted.

Thanks!

Elizabeth
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 17:01
SITE FOUNDER
You do not have to rate them all, Elizabeth Dec 1, 2008

Elizabeth Ardans wrote:

At first I started reading without rating, with the intention of rating them all once I finished reading; then I realized it would be too time consuming, given the number of entries, as I would probably have to read some or all of them again... so I started rating one at a time. I have the intention of reading and rating them all, but what if I can't? Wouldn't that be unfair?

I'd like to hear some thoughts on this or a more thorugh explanation on how votes will be counted.

In qualification round voting, you do not have to rate them all. It won't spoil the results.

In qualification round voting, a rating of 1-5 is given. You can rate as many or as few as you want. The average rating level is used to select the top 3-7. The number of votes per entry evens out because the entries are shown in random order, and a big enough group is selected that the best entry is highly likely to be in there.

In finals round voting, in contrast, you should review all of the entries. This is where a closer look is given at the best contenders. You select the best 1, 2 or 3 (with points assigned in the amounts 4, 2, 1 respectively.) The winner is the one that gathers the most finals-round points.

Elizabeth Ardans
Elizabeth Ardans  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 18:01
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Dec 1, 2008

Thanks Henry for the clarification!

Kind regards,
Elizabeth

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:01
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feedback about voting Dec 1, 2008

Hi!

I would like to make a comment about voting:

Although I know that members have more privileges than non-members, I think that ONLY non-members and moderators/staff should have the option to vote. That is, the people who don't participate in the contest.

The reason is simple: Every member wants his/her translation to win, so in order to achieve this, they will find mistakes on all the other translations except on theirs, of course.

When I'
... See more
Hi!

Although I know that members have more privileges than non-members, I think that ONLY non-members and moderators/staff should have the option to vote. That is, the people who don't participate in the contest.

The reason is simple: Every member wants his/her translation to win, so in order to achieve this, they will find mistakes on all the other translations except on theirs, of course.

When I've participated in plenty of contests in my life (school, university, others), I've never formed part of the jury. This is to keep the process as impartial as possible. People are finding mistakes everywhere and most of them don't even explain why they consider it as an error. It's so simple to destroy the work of others by just clicking on a term, pressing dislike and don't explaining why!
Collapse

Alan Wang
Alan Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 05:01
English to Chinese
+ ...
thought on the vote Dec 2, 2008

Cristina Heraud-van Tol wrote:

Hi!

I agree with your saying about who should be allowed to vote, not the ones who have submitted entries. Because if the winner is to be the one with the most star count, it is simply a bad strategy to give any number of star to any of your competitiors, least to those you think are good and thus your most fierce competitior.

At the same time, considering those who submitted entries have spent much time on the source text and translation, they are qualified judges to see what is amissing in a contest entry and they should be allowed to tag only for the very purpose of picking faults at the other's translations, but without not giving a justification for their dislikes perhaps. Well, it may seem to be mean, but how else the best would shine out? This is a competition, not an invitation to picnic.:D

Tricia Stuart
Tricia Stuart
Italy
Local time: 23:01
Italian to English
+ ...
from a participant's point of view Dec 2, 2008

"Every member wants his/her translation to win, so in order to achieve this, they will find mistakes on all the other translations except on theirs, of course. "

I beg to differ Cristina.
It is often the most enthusiastic and confident members who take part in contests.
It is an excellent opportunity to see a wide variety of alternatives and styles and learn from others. This possibility is very rare for many of
... See more

"Every member wants his/her translation to win, so in order to achieve this, they will find mistakes on all the other translations except on theirs, of course. "

I beg to differ Cristina.
It is often the most enthusiastic and confident members who take part in contests.
It is an excellent opportunity to see a wide variety of alternatives and styles and learn from others. This possibility is very rare for many of us who work alone and whose customer satisfaction is more a case of customer trust which is seldom supported by sufficient knowledge of the target language (or source language for that matter).

I have just become a member and participated because I really liked the source text. I have read all the other entries and have so far commented on just two points: one positive which was just what I wanted to say - but didn't - and another to disagree with other people's disagreements.

Having put even a fair amount of effort into this translation, I believe that we, as entrants, are well placed to understand other people's choices. While we sit comfortably with correct and well written sections, anything we consider to be a mistake leaps off the page. That's life and I think we can all expect more negative comments than positive ones.

I had considered not commenting on other participants' entries but it's hard not to appreciate a well turned phrase or resist commenting on what you feel to be an unfair criticism. Fortunately we have a fair amount of time to do so.

Surely participants are professionals who have endorsed the ProZ Professional Guidelines and would want to win beacuse of the standard of their work rather than by using funny tricks. In any case their peers will know what is of high standard or not and it would be a joke if a poorer standard entry were to win.

I look forward to rereading and voting for the ones I like best.

Many thanks for the hard work of those who have organised this fun event.

[Edited at 2008-12-02 16:28 GMT]

[Edited at 2008-12-02 19:10 GMT]
Collapse

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 17:01
Results of previous contests Dec 2, 2008

I have studied all 7 previous contests in my language pairs lately. In my opinion 90% of the winners have done best among all the contestants. I only have some slight doubt on one winner, but he is certainly among the best ones.

So I would conclude, despite of all, the result is fair.

[Edited at 2008-12-02 17:13 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

1st Annual ProZ.com Translation Contest: voting rounds will start next week

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »