Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
1st Annual Proz.com Translation Contest: Awakening. Submission is on.
Thread poster: RominaZ
RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 28, 2008

Dear Members,

I'm excited to announce that the "1st Annual ProZ.com Translation Contest: Awakening" has officially started.

The submission phase is now open and entries will be accepted until Thursday, November 20.

This time around there is a total of eleven (11) source texts in the following languages: English, Spanish, Russian, Italian, French, Portuguese, Hungarian, Chinese, Catalan, Czech and German (recently added).

As you may know, the
... See more
Dear Members,

I'm excited to announce that the "1st Annual ProZ.com Translation Contest: Awakening" has officially started.

The submission phase is now open and entries will be accepted until Thursday, November 20.

This time around there is a total of eleven (11) source texts in the following languages: English, Spanish, Russian, Italian, French, Portuguese, Hungarian, Chinese, Catalan, Czech and German (recently added).

As you may know, the annual contest presents a distinctive feature – prizes. Once the winners have been announced, a draw will be held among them and the following prizes will be awarded:

*1 all-expense paid trip to a ProZ.com conference in the venue of your choice
*1 Dell laptop
*2 Licenses of SDL Trados 2007
*6 iPods

All winners will receive a digital certificate and recognition in their profile and within the community.

All the information related to contests is available at the contest page: Contest FAQ, Forum, Contest Rules and Support .

You can see the texts and start making entries here.

The deadline for submission is Thursday, November 20.

Thanks again to the members of the community who have proposed the texts for this contest, especially to the authors of three original pieces of writing presented on this edition.

I hope you find the texts appealing and have a go at this first annual contest.

See you there!

Romina
Collapse

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Great News Oct 28, 2008

Thank you Romina for Announcing this.

How can we get more details about the draw to be made?

[Edited at 2008-10-28 19:21]

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:59
Russian to English
+ ...
No German? Oct 29, 2008

That's great! But why is there no German entry? Or do I need another cup of coffee this morning?

Susan

RominaZ
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Contest Source texts Oct 29, 2008

Hi Susan,

I'm glad you are interested in the contest. There was a German source text selected that met the criteria but unfortunately the author did not give us her authorization to present it and I learned this very close to the contest opening date.

If more suitable source texts in other languages are proposed in time, they'll be added of course.

To propose a text and receive the selection criteria please contact me at romina at proz.com.

No
... See more
Hi Susan,

I'm glad you are interested in the contest. There was a German source text selected that met the criteria but unfortunately the author did not give us her authorization to present it and I learned this very close to the contest opening date.

If more suitable source texts in other languages are proposed in time, they'll be added of course.

To propose a text and receive the selection criteria please contact me at romina at proz.com.

Note that if you submit a text that is later presented as the source text, you will not be able to submit an entry for that text.

Hi M. Ali,

How can we get more details about the draw to be made?

I'd be happy to provide further details. Please let me know what kind of additional information you would like to receive.

Romina
Collapse

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
System, Oct 29, 2008

RominaZ wrote:

I'd be happy to provide further details. Please let me know what kind of additional information you would like to receive.

Romina

Hi Romina,

Thank you for your answer,

I would like to know how would this draw be held?
For example:
- Will you use a computer lottery program which selects people automatically?
- Will you write the names of the winners on the small papers and put them into a box and then select them by hand?
- Would there be any Notary who would monitor and certify this selection?

I would like to know these details if possible.

Thank you in advance

M. Ali

RominaZ
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
System Oct 29, 2008

Hi M. Ali,

Prize winners will be randomly chosen among contest winners using a computer application.

Regards,

Romina

Yuriy Reznichenko
Yuriy Reznichenko
Local time: 14:59
English to Russian
Is it fair? Oct 29, 2008

The only thing that is not pleasant to me in competition, is that I should pay for participation in it. What I mean:

I do not use this resource as translation orders searching tool or something similar. Therefore I have taken advantage of free registration. Now, having tempted with possibility to take participation in competition, I am limited in my desire as full members are supposed only.

Is it fair?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:59
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Organise one yourself Oct 30, 2008

uar wrote:
I do not use this resource as translation orders searching tool or something similar. Therefore I have taken advantage of free registration. Now, having tempted with possibility to take participation in competition, I am limited in my desire as full members are supposed only.

Organise one yourself. There was a thread about it it in the past two or three months.

Ahmet Murati
Ahmet Murati  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Albanian
+ ...
Well, currently I am not a Pro-Member of the ProZ Oct 30, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:

uar wrote:

Organise one yourself. There was a thread about it it in the past two or three months.

But soon I am due to receive a payment from a translation agency and then I could pay the subscription to ProZ. Then I could take part on translation contest. Currently I don't see the Albanian language so maybe later on there would be also for Albanian language this contest available.

Best regards

Ahmet N Murati

cenek tomas
cenek tomas  Identity Verified
France
Czech to French
+ ...
number of entries I' m very busy these days,how can I be sure I won't work for nothing Nov 10, 2008

RominaZ wrote:

Dear Members,

This time around there is a total of ten source texts in the following languages: English, Spanish, Russian, Italian, French, Portuguese, Hungarian, Chinese, Catalan, Czech and German (recently added).

As you may know, the annual contest presents a distinctive feature – prizes. Once the winners have been announced, a draw will be held among them and the following prizes will be awarded:

*1 all-expense paid trip to a ProZ.com conference in the venue of your choice
*1 Dell laptop
*2 Licenses of SDL Trados 2007
*6 iPods

All winners will receive a digital certificate and recognition in their profile and within the community.

All the information related to contests is available at the contest page: Contest FAQ, Forum, Contest Rules and Support .

You can see the texts and start making entries here.

The deadline for submission is Thursday, November 20.

Thanks again to the members of the community who have proposed the texts for this contest, especially to the authors of three original pieces of writing presented on this edition.

I hope you find the texts appealing and have a go at this first annual contest.

See you there!

Romina

[Modifié le 2008-11-10 10:15]

[Modifié le 2008-11-10 10:19]

[Modifié le 2008-11-10 10:21]

Najwa Al-Nabulsi
Najwa Al-Nabulsi
Syria
Local time: 15:59
English to Arabic
+ ...
can not participate Nov 10, 2008

Dear Romina,

I still can't participate, even I am doing my best to in localization and gained 2624 points till today. could you please tell me how much points should I gain to be able to participate?

thanks a lot
Najwa

cenek tomas
France
Czech to French
+ ...
contest rules Nov 13, 2008

Are participants allowed to get help, asking questions on the web, forums ...or anywhere else?

RominaZ
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Participants are not allowed to get help within this site Nov 13, 2008

Hi cenek tomas,

Public comments concerning entries or the possible ways to translate the source text are not allowed within the site during the contest or contest voting periods.
... See more
Hi cenek tomas,

Public comments concerning entries or the possible ways to translate the source text are not allowed within the site during the contest or contest voting periods.

Please see
http://www.proz.com/?sp=siterules&mode=show&category=Contest%20Rules 4 and http://www.proz.com/faq/contests#contest_comments_source_text

Best regards,
Romina
Collapse

cenek tomas
France
Czech to French
+ ...
rules Nov 13, 2008

Doessit mean comments and suggestions are allowed ouside the site?I'm asking that question because I've come across some...

RominaZ
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Spirit of fairness Nov 13, 2008

Hi cenek tomas,

The site is of course not able to control whether a participant seeks this help outside the site. Bearing in mind that a contest entry should be a representation of the contestant's own work and translation skills, and that the rule above mentioned seeks to protect the spirit of fairness, it is expected and desired that all participants observe these rules in all possible scenarios.

We trust contestants' judgment when entering the contest. Especially whe
... See more
Hi cenek tomas,

The site is of course not able to control whether a participant seeks this help outside the site. Bearing in mind that a contest entry should be a representation of the contestant's own work and translation skills, and that the rule above mentioned seeks to protect the spirit of fairness, it is expected and desired that all participants observe these rules in all possible scenarios.

We trust contestants' judgment when entering the contest. Especially when they accept the following conditions which are displayed and required to complete the submission process successfully:

* I have read and agree to the contest rules.
* This translation is my own; I have not had access to anyone else's translation of this text.
* I pledge not to discuss the content of my own or any other entry, or the decisions made while translating,with others while the contest and contest voting are underway.
* I will not let any other ProZ.com user know which entry is mine before the close of the contest

Best regards,
Romina
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

1st Annual Proz.com Translation Contest: Awakening. Submission is on.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »