Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
7th ProZ.com Translation Contest: announcement of winners!
Thread poster: RominaZ
RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 3, 2008

Dear All,

I'm happy to announce that the winners of the 7th ProZ.com Translation contest are now being displayed on the Contest Page.

The number of participants in this contest has once again been high. However, voting will be extended in some pairs until July 8, as the number of voters in those pairs was not enough to declare a winner.

Please remember that your contest entries can be exported to you
... See more
Dear All,

I'm happy to announce that the winners of the 7th ProZ.com Translation contest are now being displayed on the Contest Page.

The number of participants in this contest has once again been high. However, voting will be extended in some pairs until July 8, as the number of voters in those pairs was not enough to declare a winner.

Please remember that your contest entries can be exported to your profile as sample translations. You can easily do this with each entry you have submitted to any of the translation contests by going to the relevant contest page and language pair and clicking on the "add to portfolio" link at the bottom of your entry.

As soon as voting finishes in all pairs (i. e. July 8), winning entries will be shown with the "winner" ribbon in the portfolio and the reference to the contest will be shown with each entry. The material included in the portfolio section can be removed at any time.

The next contest will be the community's first "annual" contest. A number of prizes will be featured in the annual contest, including a trip to a ProZ.com conference for one of the winners.

I'd like to congratulate the winners and thank the participants who made this event possible by submitting their entries and casting their votes.

Participants in the pairs where voting has been extended, don't get discouraged... more winners will be announced soon.

Thanks again.
Romina
Collapse

Henar Chico (X)
Henar Chico (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for everything Jul 3, 2008

Hi Romina, thanks for the hard work of the Proz.com personnel, it was a fun contest and the improvements you made to the site were very useful.

I can't wait for the next contest!

Henar Chico

PS.- I get a "download certificate" by my name, but when I click on it it just takes me to the main contest page.

vicksy nurhayati
vicksy nurhayati  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:07
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Page can't be opened Jul 3, 2008

Hi Romina,

Very curious to see who wins the contest for my ENglish-Indonesian pair, but 3 times click to 'contest page' and 3 times directed again to this page. Congratulation anyway !

Vicksy

RominaZ
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Please try again Jul 3, 2008

Dear vicksy nurhayati,

Could you please try again? The link should be working ok now.

Thanks for your interest.

Romina

Donald Scott Alexander
Donald Scott Alexander

Local time: 11:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Suggestion: Could we show ALL entries (not just finalists)? Jul 4, 2008

Some language pairs had many more entries than the 3-7 finalists now visible with names (or visible as "anonymous").

Is anyone else interested in seeing all the entries now - not just the finalists?

[Edited at 2008-07-04 04:00]

patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Absolutely, Scott. Jul 4, 2008

I would like to see all the entries and also how we fared in the qualifying round as I already mentioned in another thread.

We are asked if we wish to remain anonymous after final voting and this should, of course, be respected, but I think it was only intended for the finalists. I would have no problem if it were extended to entries which didn't make it through to the final (like mine).

Paty

Antti Nyrhinen
Antti Nyrhinen  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:07
English to Finnish
+ ...
adding older contests to portfolio Jul 4, 2008

RominaZ wrote:
Please remember that your contest entries can be exported to your profile as sample translations. You can easily do this with each entry you have submitted to any of the translation contests by going to the relevant contest page and language pair and clicking on the "add to portfolio" link at the bottom of your entry.

Hi Romina,
I was able to do this for the latest contest entry, but not for my entry for Contest #3.. I would like to add that to my portfolio as well. Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

Henar Chico (X)
Henar Chico (X)  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same thing happened to me Jul 4, 2008

Antti Nyrhinen wrote:

RominaZ wrote:

Hi Romina,
I was able to do this for the latest contest entry, but not for my entry for Contest #3.. I would like to add that to my portfolio as well. Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

I am having the same issue, I can only see the "add to portfolio" button in the last contest.

Thanks,

Henar Chico

[Edited at 2008-07-04 12:17]

Annamaria Arlotta
Annamaria Arlotta  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:07
English to Italian
puzzled Jul 4, 2008

Sorry to sound negative, but I consider the winning translation in the En/It pair one of the worst ones from a syntax point of view. There are a couple of mistranslations as well. I would be happy to clarify my point in detail. I remember that in the qualifying round the same mistakes I noticed were highlighted by many others, therefore I can only feel puzzled about the contest mechanisms. A great part of the second paragraph is well written, but the mistakes are serious. I will believe in this ... See more
Sorry to sound negative, but I consider the winning translation in the En/It pair one of the worst ones from a syntax point of view. There are a couple of mistranslations as well. I would be happy to clarify my point in detail. I remember that in the qualifying round the same mistakes I noticed were highlighted by many others, therefore I can only feel puzzled about the contest mechanisms. A great part of the second paragraph is well written, but the mistakes are serious. I will believe in this contest again when and if an external panel will prevent translations with grammar or syntax mistakes from qualifying and winning.Collapse

Christiane Lalonde
Christiane Lalonde  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:07
English to French
Cannot open the certificate Jul 4, 2008

Hello Rominaz,

I am the happy winner of the English to French contest. However, there seems to be a problem with the certificate that won't open with Acrobat 7.
Thanks

Larissa Boutrimova
Larissa Boutrimova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:07
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
The certificate Jul 4, 2008

Hi Romina,

when trying to open or save the certificate, I get the message: "There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired".

[Редактировалось 2008-07-04 17:42]

Judit Darnyik
Judit Darnyik  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 12:07
German to Hungarian
+ ...
Same problem with the certificate Jul 4, 2008

I get the same message as Larissa when trying to open the downloaded certificate.

Can you please check it.

Thank you,

Judit

RominaZ
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Contest winner certificate. Jul 4, 2008

Dear contest winners,

Congratulations!

To see the certificate you will need the latest version of Adobe Reader. Here is the link to download it in case you do not have it:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

I hope to see you all again in the annual contest.<
... See more
Dear contest winners,

Congratulations!

To see the certificate you will need the latest version of Adobe Reader. Here is the link to download it in case you do not have it:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

I hope to see you all again in the annual contest.

Best regards,

RominaZ
ProZ.com Staff
Collapse

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:07
English to Italian
Same thing in the RO>IT Jul 4, 2008

unadiluna wrote:

Sorry to sound negative, but I consider the winning translation in the En/It pair one of the worst ones from a syntax point of view. There are a couple of mistranslations as well. I would be happy to clarify my point in detail. I remember that in the qualifying round the same mistakes I noticed were highlighted by many others, therefore I can only feel puzzled about the contest mechanisms. A great part of the second paragraph is well written, but the mistakes are serious. I will believe in this contest again when and if an external panel will prevent translations with grammar or syntax mistakes from qualifying and winning.

I share Unadiluna's thoughts regarding another language pair. Even though no winner has been nominated yet in the RO>IT pair, all the grammar mistakes that I had found, highlighted and motivated in one of the 3 entries (and believe me, they were evident mistakes) were "misteriously" disagreed by a peer... one by one, for no apparent reason.

I agree with you, an external panel should judge and choose the best versions, not insiders. I hadn't voted in the past contest because I didn't know that non-platinum members could vote, but I voted this time, so when I saw how things are, I'm sorry, I will never vote again.

[Edited at 2008-07-04 15:40]

Donald Scott Alexander
Donald Scott Alexander

Local time: 11:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
I think I recall also seeing "blanket" Disagrees on Dislike tags in RU>EN too Jul 4, 2008

Liliana Roman-Hamilton wrote:

all the grammar mistakes that I had found, highlighted and motivated in one of the 3 entries (and believe me, they were evident mistakes) were "misteriously" disagreed by a peer... one by one, for no apparent reason.

I can't go back and check now (because the tags are gone), but I think I recall seeing something similar that happened in RU>EN: one entry had a bunch of (legitimate) 'Dislike' tags, and somebody went through and gave a 'Disagree' to each and every one of them.

No harm done probably (it didn't help that entry win), but it might be useful if we tried to add a mechanism to discourage this sort of behavior - if indeed someone was trying to "rescue" an entry from its own errors.

A simple way to discourage this might be to just display the the names of the voters, actually. That way, someone might think twice before trying to submit inaccurate tags - since everyone would see who they were. On Kudoz everything is publicized - and we get some spirited debates there, but in the end we also get some very accurate results.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

7th ProZ.com Translation Contest: announcement of winners!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »