7th ProZ.com Translation Contest. Final voting in language pairs with 3-7 entries will start soon.
Thread poster: RominaZ
RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 12, 2008

Dear All,

Final voting in language pairs that received 3-7 entries will start soon. The system to be implemented in final voting is the same as the one for the last contest with the addition of the like and dislike tagging. Please see http://www.proz.com/topic/102761

Before final voting starts in those pairs, I'd like to receive your opinion on the following options:

... See more
Dear All,

Final voting in language pairs that received 3-7 entries will start soon. The system to be implemented in final voting is the same as the one for the last contest with the addition of the like and dislike tagging. Please see http://www.proz.com/topic/102761

Before final voting starts in those pairs, I'd like to receive your opinion on the following options:

a) final voting should be open to those who are native in the target language and work or expressed interest in the same language pair they wish to vote.

b) final voting should be open only to those who are native in the target language and work in the same language pair they wish to vote.

c) final voting should be open to those who work in the same language pair they wish to vote.

Please, simply indicate "a", "b" or "c".

Thanks

Romina
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:43
Russian to English
+ ...
I vote b Jun 12, 2008

"shows interest in" (a) is too vague.

Yuri Smirnov
Yuri Smirnov  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:43
English to Belarusian
+ ...
b Jun 12, 2008

'Native' is essential. Thus, b).

Vera Schladitz del Campo (X)
Vera Schladitz del Campo (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:43
Italian to German
+ ...
b) Jun 12, 2008

Without hesitation: b) To be native in the target language and to work in the language pair you wish to vote is the best mix of all.

patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, b). Jun 12, 2008

'nuf said.

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
My vote for b) Jun 12, 2008

I would simply vote for alternative (b) as it's the best combination.

Thomas Castagnacci
Thomas Castagnacci  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Italian
+ ...
I vote B Jun 12, 2008

I think it's important not only to have an interest on the subject

Maria Antonietta Ricagno
Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
b Jun 13, 2008

for me too

Antonella

Judit Darnyik
Judit Darnyik  Identity Verified
Hungary
German to Hungarian
+ ...
b Jun 13, 2008

Maria Castro
Maria Castro  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:43
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
option b Jun 13, 2008

I also choose b.

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your feedback. Jun 13, 2008

Hi All,

There is a clear indication of the majority's preference.

Thanks for your feedback.

Romina

Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
B + Jun 13, 2008

I am for B.

Still, in particular for Russian-English pair, something shall be done with those people that abuse site rules and declare English as a native language though they have no right to.

I talk mostly about some emigrants from Russia to UK or US who declared two native languages English and Russian.

Even some people still living in Russia has done this after a short trip to UK or US.

To make myself clear - If, for example, a person ha
... See more
I am for B.

Still, in particular for Russian-English pair, something shall be done with those people that abuse site rules and declare English as a native language though they have no right to.

I talk mostly about some emigrants from Russia to UK or US who declared two native languages English and Russian.

Even some people still living in Russia has done this after a short trip to UK or US.

To make myself clear - If, for example, a person has moved to US in early childhood this may be ok.

But in most cases declaring both English and Russian as native languages is abuse.

[Edited at 2008-06-14 05:48]
Collapse

Gunborg Jacobsson (X)
Gunborg Jacobsson (X)  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
I vote b. Jun 18, 2008

RominaZ wrote:

Dear All,

a) final voting should be open to those who are native in the target language and work or expressed interest in the same language pair they wish to vote.

b) final voting should be open only to those who are native in the target language and work in the same language pair they wish to vote.

c) final voting should be open to those who work in the same language pair they wish to vote.

Please, simply indicate "a", "b" or "c".

Thanks

Romina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

7th ProZ.com Translation Contest. Final voting in language pairs with 3-7 entries will start soon.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »