Thread poster: Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:35
Russian to English
+ ...
Jun 6, 2008

I marked a word with a "dislike" tag, and lo and behold, the computer marked the SAME WORD later on in the document, when it was used perfectly correctly. I can find no way to delete the marking. Another way of saying the same thing: Can you change your mind? If you say by mistake that you "dislike" something, when you meant to say you "like" it, can you change it?
I presume this feedback will eventually go to the translator, and I wouldn't want to have it wrong.

Henar Chico (X)
Henar Chico (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dislikes Tag Jun 6, 2008

Hi Romina:

Talking about the Likes and Dislikes, it would be great if the translator was able to post a note or link supporting their choice under Dislikes on their own translation. For example, somebody marked "televisor" as a mistranslation of "television set", when, according to Word
... See more
Hi Romina:

Talking about the Likes and Dislikes, it would be great if the translator was able to post a note or link supporting their choice under Dislikes on their own translation. For example, somebody marked "televisor" as a mistranslation of "television set", when, according to Wordreference.com (http://www.wordreference.com/es/translation.asp?tranword=television%20set&dict=enes&b=Search), it is perfectly fine.

I know that other people can later go and agree or disagree, but still...

Thanks, keep up the good work!
Collapse

Annamaria Arlotta
Annamaria Arlotta  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:35
English to Italian
same as Susan Jun 6, 2008

I experienced the same problem Susan mentioned: the computer marked the same word as "disliked" in dfferent contexts: in fact, it highlighted only those letters which correspond to the word I disliked ( the terms are verbs, with the same root but different endings).
Aside from this I think the new system will prove useful to everyone. Ciao ciao

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:35
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Televisor Jun 6, 2008

OK, this is going to look more like KudoZ than a forum, but I don't think "televisor" is perfectly OK in English for a television receiver. It is defined in Answers.com as:
1. A television transmitter.
2. A broadcaster of television programs; a telecaster.

Try it on Google and you get lots of hits, but the few that are for English and are not for the uses defined above date back to the 1930s, when a television receiver under the brand name "Baird Televisor" was s
... See more
OK, this is going to look more like KudoZ than a forum, but I don't think "televisor" is perfectly OK in English for a television receiver. It is defined in Answers.com as:
1. A television transmitter.
2. A broadcaster of television programs; a telecaster.

Try it on Google and you get lots of hits, but the few that are for English and are not for the uses defined above date back to the 1930s, when a television receiver under the brand name "Baird Televisor" was sold by Plessey in the UK. Try "define: televisor" on Google and you get "No definitions were found" in English, though it offers them for Spanish. I have never heard it used in this sense in English. Admittedly my experience is of UK English, and I know US English can be different, but if it were in this case, there would have been definitions on Google.
Collapse

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 06:35
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
More on the "televisor" issue Jun 6, 2008

Jack, I think Henar was actually talking about translating "television set" into Spanish, in which case "televisor" is perfectly fine.

[Edited at 2008-06-06 08:14]

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:35
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Apologies to Henar Jun 6, 2008

On re-reading your post, I can see that Marcelo is quite right. Sorry!

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:35
French to English
+ ...
Known issue - working on solution Jun 6, 2008

Hi Susan,

This is a known issue and we're working on a solution. Thanks for using the new system, and thanks for posting!

Henar Chico (X)
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Televisor Jun 6, 2008

Jack Doughty wrote:

On re-reading your post, I can see that Marcelo is quite right. Sorry!

No worries Jack!

Henar

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still having problems with like/dislike tags Jun 6, 2008

First, I clicked to view all the tags, and found the one I had mentioned had already been removed.
Now, I found the same thing happening again. I clicked to view all tags, and the word I had tagged--which happened to be "was" and should have been subjunctive, "were," but every time "was" appeared, it ended up tagged--this, I can't find at all in the window of tagged items.

Furthermore, the window of tagged items is partly obscured. The top items seems to get chopped off.
... See more
First, I clicked to view all the tags, and found the one I had mentioned had already been removed.
Now, I found the same thing happening again. I clicked to view all tags, and the word I had tagged--which happened to be "was" and should have been subjunctive, "were," but every time "was" appeared, it ended up tagged--this, I can't find at all in the window of tagged items.

Furthermore, the window of tagged items is partly obscured. The top items seems to get chopped off.

One more point: The distinction between "quality of writing" and "accuracy of translation" is somewhat dubious. As translators, when we see something translated wrongly, we can hardly not point it out, even though we are supposed not judging "accuracy of translation."

Susan

[Edited at 2008-06-06 23:20]
Collapse

Annamaria Arlotta
Annamaria Arlotta  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:35
English to Italian
a bit of a mess Jun 7, 2008

Hello! I highlighted the little Italian preposition "a" to place a comment on its usage in a specific contest, and...all of the letters "a", including the ones inside a word, were highlighted. There was no way to "undo move". I hope this technical problem can be solved.

I also suggest that one of the tags should be "syntax errors", because putting together several terms in the wrong way is different from making grammar errors as such. I used the tag "inconsistencies", but I find thi
... See more
Hello! I highlighted the little Italian preposition "a" to place a comment on its usage in a specific contest, and...all of the letters "a", including the ones inside a word, were highlighted. There was no way to "undo move". I hope this technical problem can be solved.

I also suggest that one of the tags should be "syntax errors", because putting together several terms in the wrong way is different from making grammar errors as such. I used the tag "inconsistencies", but I find this term a bit vague.

Ciao ciao
Collapse

Henar Chico (X)
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
More on this Jun 8, 2008

Henar Chico wrote:

Hi Romina:

Talking about the Likes and Dislikes, it would be great if the translator was able to post a note or link supporting their choice under Dislikes on their own translation. For example, somebody marked "televisor" as a mistranslation of "television set", when, according to Wordreference.com (http://www.wordreference.com/es/translation.asp?tranword=television%20set&dict=enes&b=Search), it is perfectly fine.

I know that other people can later go and agree or disagree, but still...

Thanks, keep up the good work!

Sorry to keep insisting on this topic, but I just found another instance where "buzos de trabajo" has been quoted as a mistranslation of "work overalls", and this time another person agrees with it, when in fact, it is just fine (http://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=buzo). Not only that, all the time while I was growing up in Spain my dad would always ask my mom whether his "buzos" were clean because he had to go to work. I just feel that being able to post an explanation or link would be really, really helpful. It looks to me that people read and rate translations but apparently, they don't bother to check whether the chosen word is a correct translation, even if that's not the word they would have used.

Thanks, and I promise I won't post about this issue again even if I find more examples.

Henar Chico

[Edited at 2008-06-08 12:19]

Henar Chico (X)
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree tag Jun 9, 2008

Hi, I was looking at the tags for my translation, and all of the Agree ones have disappeared. There were a couple of them and now they are gone. Weird...

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tags disappearing Jun 9, 2008

Well, people who judge the translations are allowed to edit or remove tags up to a certain point in the process, so that's probably what happened, Henar.
(I understand from your post that you're looking at a translation you wrote, not one that you evaluated.)

Susan

Henar Chico (X)
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree tag Jun 9, 2008

Susan Welsh wrote:

Well, people who judge the translations are allowed to edit or remove tags up to a certain point in the process, so that's probably what happened, Henar.
(I understand from your post that you're looking at a translation you wrote, not one that you evaluated.)

Susan

I guess that's probably what happened then. Not a big deal, I just thought it was strange.

Thanks!

Henar

Henar Chico (X)
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Tags are back! Jun 9, 2008

What do you know? I just looked and there they are again, those sneaky agree tags... ummmm...

Henar

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with like/dislike notes

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »