Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
ProZ.com translation contest. Qualification round test.
Thread poster: RominaZ
Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
RE: A bar will be set on a pair-by-pair basis May 31, 2008

Henry D wrote:

Hi Alexander. The exact number, between 3 and 7, will depend. For each pair, a minimum average rating will be set, and all those above it will pass.

Is this clear?

Dear Henry,

Thank you very much for your explanation.

I've almost got the idea

This new system is indeed something.

But what will happen in case of this distribution:

Entry A: 4.4
Entry B: 4.3
Entry C: 4.2
Entry D: 4.1
Entry E: 4.0
Entry F: 3.9
Entry G: 3.8
Entry H: 3.7
Entry I: 3.6
Entry J: 3.5

i.e. if there is no significant drop-off ?

Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
1 or 0 May 31, 2008

RominaZ wrote:

To rate these categories raters should click on the star that indicates the rating they would like to assign to a given entry on an "absolute scale of 1 ("poor") to 5 ("perfect").

Hi, Romina,

Just went through the test.

I have this question - if I do not rate an antry at all - will this be worse for this entry than when I rate it 1?

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:30
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
This method for qualification (tagging) vs. Contest Rules May 31, 2008

I think the technical application is coming along, but I am a bit confused how this sort of qualification fits with the current Contest Rules, particularly these parts of Rules 4 and 5.

4. Public comments concerning entries during the contest are not allowed. Public comments concerning entries (or the possible ways to translate the source text) are not allowed by any ProZ.com user during the contest or contest voting periods.

5. Encouraging voters to vote in a certain way is against the rules. Encouraging voters to vote in a certain way, or to select a certain entry, is not allowed.

The like and dislike tags seems to be public, and they will influence other voters decision.
Romina, can you clarify the situation (this practice vs. Rules)?

I remember the original discussion where people asked for a better way of commenting on the entries, with tagging, for example, but back then, I thought we were talking about doing this AFTER the contest was over.

Yuri Smirnov
Yuri Smirnov  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:30
English to Belarusian
+ ...
Of course, AFTER Jun 1, 2008

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

I remember the original discussion where people asked for a better way of commenting on the entries, with tagging, for example, but back then, I thought we were talking about doing this AFTER the contest was over.

As far as I understand, no one said it will be happening publicly. Before, all the comments were visible to the author of the entry. I don't have any reasons to conclude it will be different this time.

[Edited at 2008-06-01 05:24]

Yuri Smirnov
Yuri Smirnov  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:30
English to Belarusian
+ ...
Why? Jun 1, 2008

Maria Castro wrote:
However, I'm not a native speaker of any of the target languages chosen for the test, so unless you add new target languages I won't be able to participate.

Why? There's already 4 entries in Eng-Portuguese pair. You can do 'whichever'-Portuguese pair.
I don't understand your comment.
It's you who choose the target language (or, rather, your parents — when you were born), not the organizers.

Paul O'Brien
Paul O'Brien  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:30
Member (2007)
Italian to English
+ ...
All a bit unnecessarily serious? Jun 1, 2008

I must say I find the whole thing a bit convoluted. Surely the idea is to have fun and I am of the view that these measures would transform the contest into something a little bit too serious. I'm not sure that, in this instance, peer comments of the sort envisaged would be useful towards improved future translations or competition entries on the part of the contestants.

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
According to Romina, comments are anonymous, but public Jun 1, 2008

Yuri Smirnov wrote:

As far as I understand, no one said it will be happening publicly.

Yuri,
Please read the original posting from Romina.
The whole posting is talking about a new interface to be used during the qualification phase (that is before the actual voting, so definitely not after the contest is over).
And the comments would be public, and peers can view and comment on them. So, I understood that the comments would be public during this phase.

See:
- Translators reviewing entries will have the opportunity to tag portions of the text that they like or dislike. A comment and reference link can be entered to support the position. These tags will be anonymously shown to others.
- Other viewers, in turn, will be able to agree or disagree on the likes and dislikes entered by others, adding reference links of their own.

Romina, could you please clarify WHEN the comments will be visible to the public and available for commenting on them? DURING the contest or AFTER the contest is over?

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
If you do not rate, that does not influence the average Jun 1, 2008

Alexander Onishko wrote:

RominaZ wrote:

To rate these categories raters should click on the star that indicates the rating they would like to assign to a given entry on an "absolute scale of 1 ("poor") to 5 ("perfect").

Hi, Romina,

Just went through the test.

I have this question - if I do not rate an antry at all - will this be worse for this entry than when I rate it 1?

Alexander,
I think the system described so far calculates the average of the ratings. You are not required to rate all entries, therefore only those ratings that you specifically marked (between 1 and 5) will be counted in the averages. Otherwise, if someone does not rate an entry simply because does not have time, or whatever, that should not be mixed with someone that reads the entry but want to give it a zero.
In other words, the worst rating you can give is 1, there is no zero.
If you do not rate the entry, that does not count as a zero vote.
So, if you want to pull down an entry's average, you should rate it 1.

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Minimum standard vs. minimum number of passing entries Jun 1, 2008

Henry,
I just wanted to make sure that we do not miss a very important aspect of this new system of rating.
I believe one of the reasons for introducing the 1-5 scale and averages instead of yes/no qualification was to ensure that the entries going to the final voting meet at least a minimum level of quality. There were language pairs in previous rounds where the finalists were very weak and the winner was far from being a good translation - that was the opinion of the respect
... See more
Henry,
I just wanted to make sure that we do not miss a very important aspect of this new system of rating.
I believe one of the reasons for introducing the 1-5 scale and averages instead of yes/no qualification was to ensure that the entries going to the final voting meet at least a minimum level of quality. There were language pairs in previous rounds where the finalists were very weak and the winner was far from being a good translation - that was the opinion of the respective communities.
That was the reason to introduce the averages and the idea was that there would be a minimum "passing level" and the entries below that average simply would not make it to the final round, even if that means no entries in the final.

From your answer to Alexander, it does not seem like that, it seems that 3 entries WILL go further to the final round, no matter what.

Hi Alexander. The exact number, between 3 and 7, will depend. For each pair, a minimum average rating will be set, and all those above it will pass. The idea is to pass to the finals the ones that are best / most likely to win, and that justify the careful scrutiny that is asked of voters.

Where that number is set won't depend on the number of entries.

Could you please clarify whether there would be a minimum standard set, across all language pairs, before the qualification round starts, independent of the actual averages and the number of entries?

[Edited at 2008-06-01 17:50]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Entries A through G would go to the finals, Alexander Jun 2, 2008

Alexander Onishko wrote:
... what will happen in case of this distribution:

Entry A: 4.4
Entry B: 4.3
Entry C: 4.2
Entry D: 4.1
Entry E: 4.0
Entry F: 3.9
Entry G: 3.8
Entry H: 3.7
Entry I: 3.6
Entry J: 3.5

i.e. if there is no significant drop-off ?

That would put us in a situation where we bump into the upper limit of 7 entries. Entries A through G would go to the finals, the rest would not.

(Unfortunate for H, but then, seven others were judged higher and there is a gap of 0.7 with the leading ratee. That is the logic.)

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
There will be no bar set for minimum rating as a precondition for winning (at least not this round) Jun 2, 2008

... I believe one of the reasons for introducing the 1-5 scale and averages instead of yes/no qualification was to ensure that the entries going to the final voting meet at least a minimum level of quality. There were language pairs in previous rounds where the finalists were very weak and the winner was far from being a good translation - that was the opinion of the respective communities.
That was the reason to introduce the averages and the idea was that there would be a minimum "passing level" and the entries below that average simply would not make it to the final round, even if that means no entries in the final.

The approach of rating on an absolute scale rather than a relative one does introduce the possibility of setting a minimum standard for winners. However, it was not the only reason to take this approach.

A minimum bar might be set in the future, but in the current round, there are no plans to require a certain average as a condition of advancing / winning.
From your answer to Alexander, it does not seem like that, it seems that 3 entries WILL go further to the final round, no matter what.

That is right. At least the top 3 rated entries will advance.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Link to initial announcement Jun 2, 2008

Hi all,

As a reminder, here is the post in which objectives were discussed for the change in qualification round voting: http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translation_contests/102548-planned_change_to_qualification_round_voting.html#836444

"The primary goals for the next round in particular wil
... See more
Hi all,

As a reminder, here is the post in which objectives were discussed for the change in qualification round voting: http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translation_contests/102548-planned_change_to_qualification_round_voting.html#836444

"The primary goals for the next round in particular will be to ensure that an appropriate number of entries reaches the finals, and that the ones selected are the best and most accurate. The plan is to achieve this through a combination of (1) a change in voting format for the qualification round and (2) the enablement of a rigidly structured exchange of views regarding choice of terms, etc. (beginning while voting is underway.)"
Collapse

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Comments on like and dislike tags will be visible during the qualification phase Jun 3, 2008

Romina, could you please clarify WHEN the comments will be visible to the public and available for commenting on them? DURING the contest or AFTER the contest is over?

Hi All,

As Henry explained in his first post
the goal of experimenting with this feature is two-fold: to provide contestants with feedback, and to help voters make informed decisions.

So yes, tags and comments will be visible to other raters while the qualification round is on.

Romina

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Please explain how it fits with the current Contest Rules Jun 3, 2008

RominaZ wrote:

Hi All,

As Henry explained in his first post
the goal of experimenting with this feature is two-fold: to provide contestants with feedback, and to help voters make informed decisions.

So yes, tags and comments will be visible to other raters while the qualification round is on.

Romina

Then I guess, I will have to repeat my question I asked a few posts earlier:
http://www.proz.com/post/866846#866846

I am a bit confused how this sort of qualification fits with the current Contest Rules, particularly these parts of Rules 4 and 5.

4. Public comments concerning entries during the contest are not allowed. Public comments concerning entries (or the possible ways to translate the source text) are not allowed by any ProZ.com user during the contest or contest voting periods.

5. Encouraging voters to vote in a certain way is against the rules. Encouraging voters to vote in a certain way, or to select a certain entry, is not allowed.

If the like and dislike tags are public, and they will influence other voters decision.
Romina, can you clarify the situation (this practice vs. Rules)?
Are you planning on modifying the Rules to be in sync with this method of rating with tagging and peer commenting?

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Like and dislike system. New philosophy. Jun 3, 2008

Dear Katalin,

Are you planning on modifying the Rules to be in sync with this method of rating with tagging and peer commenting?

The like and dislike system we are trying out this time around does represent a change in philosophy. We'll see how it goes and adapt the contest rules accordingly.

Romina

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com translation contest. Qualification round test.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »